Thank GOD!!! Intrusive ads on preseason broadcasts raise eyebrows

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Intrusive ads on preseason broadcasts raise eyebrows

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

A Toyota sign is pictured outside a Toyo Getty Images

Something ugly happened during the first week of the NFL preseason, something even uglier than charging fans full price to buy tickets to glorified scrimmages.

The ugliest part of Week One of the preseason was the use on some broadcasts of intrusive ads that superimposed the names and logos of businesses on the field, using the same technology that broadcasters have long used to display the first down line. The results were hideous, leading Keith Olbermann to open his show with a skit in which he pretended to be arriving from the future to warn football fans about how annoying advertising could be.

“Once this was unleashed upon football television, there was no going back,” Olbermann said.

But fortunately, there is some going back. A spokeswoman for Toyota told ABC News that after the negative fan backlash, the company will no longer sponsor a “Toyota Red Zone” with a glaring ad covering the field from the goal line to the 20-yard line.

“We’re football fans too. We’ve heard fan feedback and it’s not our intention to distract from the joy of the game,” Toyota said in its statement.

The NFL has also confirmed that such ads would not be permitted under the NFL’s contracts with its regular-season TV partners. (Individual teams handle their own TV deals for the preseason, and there are fewer restrictions on advertising.) So we may not see those hideous advertisements on the field anymore. That’s a victory for the fans who just want to enjoy a game, without ads that make their eyeballs bleed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess you didn't see the Saints' broadcast on NFL Preseason Live.
They had a "Slap ya mama" cajun seasoning redzone graphic.

BR1MBypCAAAUPMc.jpg

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was like wtf is that when first saw it during the game. Glad it wont carry over into regular season.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

BR1MBypCAAAUPMc.jpg

........ does Ray Rice have any partnership interest in that business :whistle:

A55VA6

Legend
I HATE those things. Like Tron said; I'm glad these won't be used on regular season broadcasts.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

BR1MBypCAAAUPMc.jpg

I love me some Slap Ya Mama. It's like a kick in the mouth.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It definitely cheapens the NFL product allowing those ads... On that note it's a perfect fit for preseason! :sneaky:

Rambition

Rookie
olbermann was right...when do they ever backpedal away from some new and ever-more invasive trick to get extra advertising on the screen? this is a rare victory. enjoy it.

now--for those who happen to be baseball fans too--if we could just get them to stop superimposing giant ads on the walls behind home plate for every pitch of every game.

pwhoppa

UDFA
Name
Patrick
Those pop-up ads were confusing to me at first. The ads that really bothered me were the Hardee's commercial with scantily clad "ladies". I was watching the Rams game with my 5 & 6 year old daughters when I had to suddenly start a conversation with them to distract them from the TV.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those pop-up ads were confusing to me at first. The ads that really bothered me were the Hardee's commercial with scantily clad "ladies". I was watching the Rams game with my 5 & 6 year old daughters when I had to suddenly start a conversation with them to distract them from the TV.
*This reply is brought to you by Auto Zone.
Get in the zone. Auto Zone.

Looks like you missed an opportunity to get "the talk" out of the way, man. And welcome to ROD!

Irish

Starter
Just put the advertisements on the uniforms themselves like soccer. If it is good enough for the largest sport in the world, it is good enough for the NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
just put the advertisements on the uniforms themselves like soccer. If it is good enough for the largest sport in the world, it is good enough for the NFL.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for me to open my own business.

Paulie's Pain Patches.
when it doesn't really hurt, but you want it to appear like it does.
Paulie's Pain Patches Perform!