Textgate/Noisegate - Punishments handed out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Anyone else think it's a little lame that the Coaches involved in these cheating scandals rarely get suspended but players cut a fart and they get suspended all the time?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Just another clever way to keep the focus off of Robert Kraft and his corrupt relationship with Goodell concerning their cheating BS. Deflate gate is already fading from the memory of the general public. Nice work!

And wasn't that the plan all along ??? Blue font ??? That's only for when you're kidding, right ???

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
deflated footballs, artificial crowd noise, texting... what's next? lol
The NFL Shop being Charged with ' Over-pricing everything!?!:LOL:

Has Goodell learned anything?

We'll see. I don't think so, which could lead this off-season to being a circus.
I doubt Goodell has learned anything! He's "King" and his shit don't stink! we'll see! It will be interesting to see!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am with the group that thinks the NFaiL is doing whatever it can to draw attention away from the Patriots cheating.

I am most interested to see if the 'Bring your own Balls' rule is still in play next season as some teams have proven that they cannot be trusted with such powers. Or at the very least there should be an amendment to the rules that after the referees check the balls that they can no longer be touched by anyone that is not actively on the playing field.

That would mean however that the NFL would have to hire two guys to be in charge of all of the balls and the price of Jerseys would have to go up by $100.00 each to make up for the cost.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I am with the group that thinks the NFaiL is doing whatever it can to draw attention away from the Patriots cheating.

By using other franchises as a shield? I don't think so. Why would the Falcons and Browns(or any other team) go along with that. Their "violations" are such small potatoes.

It may not be the popular view, but the most likely explanation for all these "gates" is the NFL has a convoluted, bloated rule book; that just about every franchise is guilty of breaking one rule or another.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...necchia-dan-quinn-new-england-patriots-020415

Coach with direct 'Spygate' ties hired as Falcons assistant

Alex Marvez
FOX Sports

FEB 04, 2015 2:00p ET

New Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn is adding three new members to his staff, including one with direct ties to the New England Patriots "Spygate" scandal.

A source told FOX Sports that Quinn has hired Steve Scarnecchia (assistant to the head coach), Matt LaFleur (quarterbacks) and Jeff Ulbrich (linebackers) as assistants.

Scarnecchia was with New England's video department from 2001 to 2004, which is when the Patriots were found to have illegally taped opposing team's signals. New England was caught videotaping New York Jets defensive signals in 2007, which led to the franchise and head coach Bill Belichick being fined by the NFL as well as the Patriots being stripped of a first-round draft choice.

Spygate's aftermath permanently tarnished the Patriots and continues to resonate today with New England being investigated for using improperly inflated footballs during the AFC title game against Indianapolis.

Scarnecchia's own reputation was further sullied while serving as Denver's video operations director in 2010. He was caught taping a San Francisco 49ers walk-through practice before a game in London. The NFL levied a $50,000 fine against the Broncos and then-head coach Josh McDaniels, who is now back in New England for a second stint as the team's offensive coordinator.
Scarnecchia was fired following the incident and subject to a review by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before being allowed to re-enter the league.Scarnecchia's hiring comes at a time when the Falcons are dealing with their own scandal. The NFL is investigating Atlanta for illegally pumping artificial crowd noise during home games at the Georgia Dome the past two seasons.

"I think what we've done in 2013 and 2014 was wrong," Falcons owner Arthur Blank told the Associated Press on Tuesday. "Anything that affects the competitive balance and fairness on the field we're opposed to as a league, as a club and as an owner. It's obviously embarrassing, but beyond embarrassing, it doesn't represent our culture and what we're about."
Scarnecchia had served as the director of football operations at Syracuse University. He is the son of long-time New England Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia.

Steve Scarnecchia's role with the Falcons will likely be similar to that of Devin Bonik, who was responsible for providing administrative help to former Falcons head coach Mike Smith. Bonik will not be retained by Quinn.

LaFleur was Notre Dame's quarterbacks coach in 2014 after holding the same position the previous four seasons with the Washington Redskins. LaFleur will be reunited with new Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who held the same position in Washington from 2010-13.LaFleur's younger brother Mike was hired by the Falcons as an offensive assistant earlier this week.

A Seattle Seahawk holds up the Vince Lombardi Trophy after their 43-8 win over the Denver Broncos during Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium on February 2, 2014 in East Rutherford, New Jersey

The schedules aren't out yet, but all 32 teams know whom they'll be playing next season.
Matt LaFleur will now be responsible for helping Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan adjust to the West Coast-style offense Shanahan is installing.

Ulbrich also comes from the college coaching ranks at UCLA, where he served as defensive coordinator in 2014. Ulbrich played linebacker for 10 NFL seasons with San Francisco (2000-09) before retiring and becoming an assistant special teams coach in Seattle, where Quinn also was coaching.

Ulbrich and Matt LaFleur, respectively, replace Glenn Pires and Glen Thomas from Smith's staff.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/ray-farmer-feels-like-the-textgate-fall-guy/

Ray Farmer feels like the #TextGate fall guy
Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015

haslam.jpg
Getty Images

Browns G.M. Ray Farmer has been revealed as the previously-unknown personnel executive who sent text messages to the coaching staff during games regarding play calls.

A league source has told PFT that the messages actually went to a non-coaching employee on the sidelines, who then relayed the information to a member of the coaching staff.

And while the messages may have been actually sent by Farmer (or at a minimum with his phone), the real question is whether Farmer did it on his own or whether he did so with the knowledge or at the direction of folks above him in the organization. Such as, for example, the owner of the team.

The best evidence as to whether Farmer is simply the fall guy could come from whether his employment continues once the decision on discipline is announced. If owner Jimmy Haslam doesn’t fire Farmer for his role in #TextGate (especially after Farmer draftedJohnny Manziel at a time when the Browns knew or should have known that Manziel was a ticking time bomb), some (such as me) will suspect that Haslam is displaying loyalty to the guy who absorbed the #TextGate bullet.

Or maybe Farmer isn’t the fall guy. Maybe he was acting entirely alone. Maybe, just maybe, a key employee of Haslam’s billion-dollar business would deliberately and blatantly violate the rules under Haslam’s nose without Haslam knowing anything about it.

This time around, it apparently would cost far less than a $92 million fine to get the powers-that-be to accept that story.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this thread explains why many NFL fans just have a different (not in a good way) feeling about the game these days.

* Spygate
* Deflategate
* Textgate
* Noisegate
* Ray Rice
* Adrian Peterson

All this "noise" takes away from the enjoyment of the game and sport.

Remember when things weren't so "noisy"?

Why was that?

The media and the quest for the almighty dollar... got to be first to report something... even if we don't have all the facts... then, we got to find a new twist to all of it.... get those clicks and views.

Let's thoerize all over the place... like "Or maybe Farmer isn’t the fall guy. Maybe he was acting entirely alone. Maybe, just maybe, a key employee of Haslam’s billion-dollar business would deliberately and blatantly violate the rules under Haslam’s nose without Haslam knowing anything about it."

Boy, I don't recall ever reading anything like that back in the sixties and seventies... I really don't like where we're headed in the media...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think we had paradegate today...The Cheatriots tried desperately to convince people (read LYING) that outside of New England more than 10 other people watched (or cared about) their parade nationwide...

As the Good Lord is my witness, I hadn't even heard a mention of the parade. The Lord is Good and He provides!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Maybe the Patriots can get involved in a scandal involving something or someone being passed through a gate.

Gategate.

FrankenRam

Starter
There are relocation rules that are written though - I'm just saying if St.Louis complies within those rules yet they're allowed to leave, or the rules are ignored, then that would be my final straw.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you expect the folks who wrote the rules to abide by them as written and not change them at the drop of a hat.....let alone potential millions in relocation fees.....you're probably in line for some serious disappointment.

iced

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you expect the folks who wrote the rules to abide by them as written and not change them at the drop of a hat.....let alone potential millions in relocation fees.....you're probably in line for some serious disappointment.

which is why i don't have my hopes up and am content with letting it play out... goodell has already deterred me from wanting to watch the NFL much anymore - if the rams go in the situation I mentioned, then i'd be done... the way it's run is already a joke

hard to invest money into something you don't believe in

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All that texting sure helped them.
Ha! I wonder if Shanny finally let them have their way down the stretch. Kinda like fuck it - I give up. Oh and HEEEEEEEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!!!! Awe... there goes Johnny.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the Patriots can get involved in a scandal involving something or someone being passed through a gate.

Gategate.

Yeah... I hear there's another investigation going on in Foxboro.

Seems the Patriots instructed security to pretend the gate to the stadium that the visiting team enters from was broken. It delayed the opponent to the point they had reduced time to get ready for the game.

It's being referred to as Gategate.
:)

Stop stealing my material!! :)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Problem is, 49ers were suspected of cheating on the rules of the salary cap, which, if true, got them extra players that helped them. Once you open the cheating thing, NE is not the only one with skeletons in closey

http://jimrome.com/2015/01/22/rice-...ike-theres-going-to-be-an-asterisk-put-on-it/

Rice on New England: “If they win this Super Bowl, I feel like there’s going to be an asterisk put on it”
January 22, 2015 1:56 PM

104316405.jpg

Hall of Famer and 3 time Super Bowl champion Jerry Rice said the New England Patriots deflating footballs in the AFC Championship game against the Indianapolis Colts isn’t gamesmanship, it’s much worse.

“I’m going to be point blank, I feel like it’s cheating,” Rice told The Jim Rome Show. “Because you have an edge up on your opponent and its unfortunate that it happened. I’m not saying the outcome of the game would have been different or anything like that because they got beat 45-7, but they still had an edge.”

The record setting wide receiver said having the ball under inflated is absolutely an advantage.

“I’ve played in cold weather, I know how hard the football is and you can grip the leather [if deflated] just a little bit better,” said Rice

Rice isn’t sure who to point the finger at as far as why the deflated balls weren’t noticed, but thinks the officials would have noticed something.

“Those guys really get a chance to handle the football,” said Rice. “You would have thought they would have noticed that the ball felt a little bit soft or whatever, I guess they didn’t notice or whatever and it just slipped by them.”

Rice, who was a part of a great San Francisco 49ers dynasty during his playing days, believes the current Patriots team and overall run of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady in New England will always be looked at with controversy.

“I think it’s a great achievement to get to the Super Bowl so many times and to be so close to winning,” said Rice. “But if they win this Super Bowl, I feel like there’s going to be an asterisk put on it. When people think about the New England Patriots they’re going to think about Spygate and those under inflated footballs and I think a lot of the players they’re going to be tide to that.”