TexasRam's O-line Grades: Week 3 - Bucs!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Hey All,

What a hell of a performance by the Rams offense. Below is my review of the O-line in pass pro. I did not review the run blocking due to time restrictions but was able to review each player each snap in pass pro and boy was it awesome. For those that have time to review the run blocking go for it and post here or post some PFF stats like last week as a worst case scenario.

First off let me say the pass pro was aided by lots of quick passes and some awesome red zone play calling by Mcvay. The TE TD screen to Higs was blocked up perfectly, the Kupp pick play TD was wide open, the Jackson deep pass was wide open on an awesome move by Jackson, perfect 4 second protection and a perfect ball by Stafford. The last Kupp TD is just insane with the quadruple move he made and a perfect timing throw by Stafford.

A few other things to mention, when I grade if a lineman gave a pressure I am talking about pressure in the face of the QB before he can setup and scan the field. There were a lot of quick throws that Mcvay called which negated pressure. But for the maybe 12-15 longer developing routes there is often late pressure but I do not count those because a lineman can't block forever. If I am honest our Oline pass pro isn't quite as dominant as we saw with the 2020 Packers or even the 2020 Bills where the QB's could often stand back there 5-7 seconds without any pressure whatsoever. We don't quite have that. What we have is everything blocked up well giving Stafford about 3 and sometimes 4 seconds on the deep shots, but even in Jacksons long TD you can see Vita bearing down on Stafford right as he is throwing. I don't see a completely dominant pass pro, I see a consistently strong pocket that does break down after 3 to 4 seconds.

Also, I noticed that Allen is often assisted by Corbs on most long developing plays and Edwards draws the one-on-one matchups which he does very well. I counted at least two long developing plays where Edwards stonewalled Vita Vea one-on-one, which is really noteworthy. When Allen did get a one-on-one assignment either Higbee or Michel would be behind him and pickup the block if Allen failed - this vs 4 man rush. When you watch a few of these you see that Allen isn't as consistent as Edwards or Corbs but the Rams (Carberry/Mcvay) are aware and adjusting likewise. You don't see Havenstein getting extra help this year because he has stepped up his game and is not yet requiring it.

Lastly, the role of the RB, TE and WR's in pass pro is always a big part of the equation. Sony is as advertised. This pickup is so underated because he is so good in pass pro. Smart, quick and physical, it's going to pay huge dividends. Higbee has been blocking up things real well this year as well. Last year when he was hurt he became a liability that popped up in pass pro over and over in my game film reviews.

Below are my game 3 grades and a note of pressures given up.

Whit - (B+) - 1 pressure given up on a bullrush, then inside move by Tyron early in the game.

Edwards - (A) - No pressures. He did allow a straight bullrush a few feet from Stafford but he stonewalled the defender at that point. He also held multiple one-on-one blocks on long developing plays. 2x against Vita.

Allen - (B) - No pressures given up but 2x this was because Higbee or Michel helped out after he lost his man on an inside move. Allen was helped by double teams with Corbs most of the day. He held his own and is playing solid ball but is not quite dominating people and needs help at times.

Corbs - (A) - No pressures given up in pass pro.

Havs - (B) - 1 sack given up to Gholston. This was a PA play where he had to execute an on-the-move block. Not a normal drop back set. I want to give him a pass here because he has been so good on typical dropback plays, but he did get beat on the sack and needs to find a way to execute that moving block better.

3 Week Compiled Scores:

Player - Week1/Week2/Week3

Whitworth - B+/B+/B+
Edwards - B/A/A
Allen - B minus/B/B
Corbett - B/B/A
Havs - A minus/B+/B

Totally psyched about the play of the O-line combined with the shift to the shotgun and innovative stuff Mcvay is adding. The Stafford and Jackson adds as others have mentioned are also a big part of making it all work. Let's Go Rams!

Thoughts from the O-line folks or anyone else??!!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Allen snaps have been very consistent a few off here or there, but nothing major. Edwards has been playing extremely well as mentioned, he consistently stonewalls his man and is created some space with his run blocking.

Sony Michel is excellent in pass protection, he showcased that time & time again against the Bucs love the Georgia running backs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
My only thoughts are that I appreciate the post and the detail!

Edwards has stepped up a big level this year... the goofy kid with the smoothie from Hard Knocks is turning into a bear.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
or post some PFF stats like last week as a worst case scenario.
If You Say So Ok GIF by Bounce

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha. Sorry my man. Truly.

My lack of trust for PFF made that sound shitty, and dismissive of you mentioning PFF’s scores last week.

You are one of the most logical, insightful and enjoyable posters, so I truly apologize for the way that came across.

I personally do use PFF as an extra source to look at, because somtimes they do get it right or weight it differently - and I like to look at why. Though I might not always understand why.

Plus I only looked at pass pro and PFF looks at run blocking.

If I could rephrase the OP I might say “any other sources would be appreciated”.

Sorry again, my bad!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love reading these @TexasRam.

I like the tally of your ratings at the end, too.

:clap:

This oline is fun to root for. I mean, each one of these guys are ball busters. Say what you want about them, but they play hard. I love this line.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haha. Sorry my man. Truly.

My lack of trust for PFF made that sound shitty, and dismissive of you mentioning PFF’s scores last week.

You are one of the most logical, insightful and enjoyable posters, so I truly apologize for the way that came across.

I personally do use PFF as an extra source to look at, because somtimes they do get it right or weight it differently - and I like to look at why. Though I might not always understand why.

Plus I only looked at pass pro and PFF looks at run blocking.

If I could rephrase the OP I might say “any other sources would be appreciated”.

Sorry again, my bad!
All good bro was just messing really. I like PFF as A source not the end all be all source.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Hey All,

What a hell of a performance by the Rams offense. Below is my review of the O-line in pass pro. I did not review the run blocking due to time restrictions but was able to review each player each snap in pass pro and boy was it awesome. For those that have time to review the run blocking go for it and post here or post some PFF stats like last week as a worst case scenario.

First off let me say the pass pro was aided by lots of quick passes and some awesome red zone play calling by Mcvay. The TE TD screen to Higs was blocked up perfectly, the Kupp pick play TD was wide open, the Jackson deep pass was wide open on an awesome move by Jackson, perfect 4 second protection and a perfect ball by Stafford. The last Kupp TD is just insane with the quadruple move he made and a perfect timing throw by Stafford.

A few other things to mention, when I grade if a lineman gave a pressure I am talking about pressure in the face of the QB before he can setup and scan the field. There were a lot of quick throws that Mcvay called which negated pressure. But for the maybe 12-15 longer developing routes there is often late pressure but I do not count those because a lineman can't block forever. If I am honest our Oline pass pro isn't quite as dominant as we saw with the 2020 Packers or even the 2020 Bills where the QB's could often stand back there 5-7 seconds without any pressure whatsoever. We don't quite have that. What we have is everything blocked up well giving Stafford about 3 and sometimes 4 seconds on the deep shots, but even in Jacksons long TD you can see Vita bearing down on Stafford right as he is throwing. I don't see a completely dominant pass pro, I see a consistently strong pocket that does break down after 3 to 4 seconds.

Also, I noticed that Allen is often assisted by Corbs on most long developing plays and Edwards draws the one-on-one matchups which he does very well. I counted at least two long developing plays where Edwards stonewalled Vita Vea one-on-one, which is really noteworthy. When Allen did get a one-on-one assignment either Higbee or Michel would be behind him and pickup the block if Allen failed - this vs 4 man rush. When you watch a few of these you see that Allen isn't as consistent as Edwards or Corbs but the Rams (Carberry/Mcvay) are aware and adjusting likewise. You don't see Havenstein getting extra help this year because he has stepped up his game and is not yet requiring it.

Lastly, the role of the RB, TE and WR's in pass pro is always a big part of the equation. Sony is as advertised. This pickup is so underated because he is so good in pass pro. Smart, quick and physical, it's going to pay huge dividends. Higbee has been blocking up things real well this year as well. Last year when he was hurt he became a liability that popped up in pass pro over and over in my game film reviews.

Below are my game 3 grades and a note of pressures given up.

Whit - (B+) - 1 pressure given up on a bullrush, then inside move by Tyron early in the game.

Edwards - (A) - No pressures. He did allow a straight bullrush a few feet from Stafford but he stonewalled the defender at that point. He also held multiple one-on-one blocks on long developing plays. 2x against Vita.

Allen - (B) - No pressures given up but 2x this was because Higbee or Michel helped out after he lost his man on an inside move. Allen was helped by double teams with Corbs most of the day. He held his own and is playing solid ball but is not quite dominating people and needs help at times.

Corbs - (A) - No pressures given up in pass pro.

Havs - (B) - 1 sack given up to Gholston. This was a PA play where he had to execute an on-the-move block. Not a normal drop back set. I want to give him a pass here because he has been so good on typical dropback plays, but he did get beat on the sack and needs to find a way to execute that moving block better.

3 Week Compiled Scores:

Player - Week1/Week2/Week3

Whitworth - B+/B+/B+
Edwards - B/A/A
Allen - B minus/B/B
Corbett - B/B/A
Havs - A minus/B+/B

Totally psyched about the play of the O-line combined with the shift to the shotgun and innovative stuff Mcvay is adding. The Stafford and Jackson adds as others have mentioned are also a big part of making it all work. Let's Go Rams!

Thoughts from the O-line folks or anyone else??!!

Sorry @TexasRam..

I don't like your grades for our O-Line after 3 games.

Why? because I love them and enjoy reading your takes.

Keep them coming buddy. Looking forward to your grades after the Cardinal game.

TexasRam always doing his O-line film study
As-10-melhores-estrategias-de-marketing-em-videos-ja-produzidas-150x150.png

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Hey All,

If I am honest our Oline pass pro isn't quite as dominant as we saw with the 2020 Packers or even the 2020 Bills where the QB's could often stand back there 5-7 seconds without any pressure whatsoever. We don't quite have that. What we have is everything blocked up well giving Stafford about 3 and sometimes 4 seconds on the deep shots, but even in Jacksons long TD you can see Vita bearing down on Stafford right as he is throwing. I don't see a completely dominant pass pro, I see a consistently strong pocket that does break down after 3 to 4 seconds.
Totally great analysis T-Ram!! Dead on in my estimation.

Yes, the o-line is a bit shy of dominance. And yes, it is aided by astute play calling, line adjustments, timely doubling, RB pick ups, and TE and WR blocking. It's a team accomplishment.

But giving the QB 3-4 seconds on drop back deep shots is awesome. And a consistently strong pocket is a stunning improvement over the past couple of years.

To me the ability to set up Stafford to be a drop back passer with time to throw is what really counts. This is a game and maybe championship winning advantage for the Rams.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Is it me ? Or are rams fans the best ever? Love all the write ups. Remember the fisher years? Me neither!!!!! Lolol GO RAMS!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pass pro ?

Big Whit gave up an inside sack.He is always cheating outside so he got burned bad.

Havenstien got burned late inside as well on The Rams last possession.Mcvay was upset,maybe at his play calling.The Rams get a first down there last series they run out the clock.

Big Rob made 2 excellent blocks the one on HIGBEEST TD. He was so jacked up.

Edwards was the reason why DJ1 pass by Stafford was under thrown & a for sure TD.

Who was the lineman that had the defender hit Stafford thumb in the first half? Was being talked about a lot how he is always hitting his Right Thumb.

I like this group a lot,just going by a couple plays that stood out.Then again I could be adding the Colts game into the mix? It’s all a blur now. Moving on to Arizona. The bookends might be going up against Jones & JJ Watt? For some reason I heard they might be hurt though. TJ Watt was hurt last week & played a little this week,but that’s Pittsburgh.