Texans waive Zach Cunningham a year after signing former NFL tackles leader

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Interesting, In each of the past three seasons, he has eclipsed the 100 total tackle mark, including an NFL-leading 164 tackles in 2020.
Cunningham, a second-round pick in 2017, signed a four-year, $58 million contract extension in 2020. The linebacker has 67 tackles and one forced fumble this season.

5 potential landing spots​

5. Los Angeles Rams​

The Rams' linebacker situation in 2021 has been inconsistent, but Cunningham could fix that easily. There's been a big hole since they traded Kenny Young earlier this season, a hole that neither Troy Reeder or Ernest Jones have been able to fully fill. But if you add Cunningham to that mix, things could get a whole lot better.

"Better" is the key word. The Rams have been decent against the run this season, but they're in a division with the bulldozing Cardinals. While right now they have by far the highest win percentage of any team not currently leading an NFC division, they need it to stay that way in order to take one of the wild-card spots. They can't rest on their laurels, so if there's a chance for them to improve their team, they need to take it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think they really like Earnest Jones and they're gonna ride with him as well as incorporating Hollins.

We do miss Kenny Young, but Jones has more upside than any other ILB on the roster and it's not close

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
I say get him, it can't hurt. Then start whoever is better between him or Reeder. Lol

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams are constantly in a “win now” mode and aren’t afraid to add pieces that could push them over the top. Adding Cunningham would help the run defense become absolutely stifling as Los Angeles gives up 3.8 yards per carry (second-best) and gives up 100.4 yards per game (seventh-best).

And if what I read is correct, whoever claims him will only owe $275,000 and no 2022 guaranteed money, Which is cap friendly for us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was not impressed with Jones play, until this weekend. He’s really coming on.

If the Rams wanted Cunningham it would only be to replace Reeder. However if ZC is not getting it done for Houston what makes anyone think he turns it around in L.A.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

If the Rams wanted Cunningham it would only be to replace Reeder. However if ZC is not getting it done for Houston what makes anyone think he turns it around in L.A.
Is anybody getting it done for Houston?

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

In all fairness, Houston is a dumpster fire and has a history of making extremely stupid personell decisions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah him having multiple team disciplines is a bad sign. Sounds like a guy who got paid a bit and put his feet up. Doesn't sound like a fit even though he's probably an upgrade over Reeder.

At least Reeder works and plays his ass off. The guy isn't that good but effort is never a problem he's a team guy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
From what I’ve read, Cunningham is a run stuffer.

I’m not sure they need that. We’ll see.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think he's a step up from Reeder and I'd think that would be the reason to put in a claim, although I expect us to be pretty far down the list and for the money, I'm sure there are a bunch of other teams ahead of us who will put in claims.