Texans Frustrated with Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/02/report-texans-are-getting-frustrated-with-clowney/

Report: Texans are getting frustrated with Clowney

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
clowney.jpg
AP
When Jadeveon Clowney emerged from South Carolina, the red flags were flying. And the Texans ignored them. Maybe they wish they hadn’t.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Texans are getting “frustrated” with Clowney, who may miss Sunday’s game with an illness. Rapoport adds that the Texans want Clowney to “grow up” and be “more mature.”

Perhaps there’s more going on behind the scenes, but Clowney already has dealt with a lot. He had a sports hernia that required surgery in June — and he didn’t milk it at all during training camp. He tore a meniscus in his regular-season debut, potentially due to the franchise’s failure to provide the players with a sufficient field.

While it’s possible that he could play through his current illness (not enough about the illness is known to know whether he can), it seems odd that the Texans already would be frustrated with a guy who has had legitimate conditions and injuries. It’s even more odd that they’d admit it, since it’s not as if there wasn’t a risk that Clowney wouldn’t work as hard as he needs to in order to thrive at the NFL level.

His college coach questioned Clowney’s work ethic, for crying out loud. The warnings were there, and the Texans knew it. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have been dangling the pick before the draft. If they hadn’t asked for so much in trade, Clowney could have been someone else’s problem right now.

The problem could get worse if Clowney suspects that the team is leaking these concerns to the media company the team partially owns in order to get him to step up. While the report may provoke a response from Clowney, it may not be the one they’re hoping for.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:eek:

Well, that's consistent with what many felt at the time of the draft.

Me personally; when a guy is dealing with injuries, it's never good. It's too early to know where this is going. He could still be a stud. Or... A dud.

paceram

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/02/report-texans-are-getting-frustrated-with-clowney/

Report: Texans are getting frustrated with Clowney

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
clowney.jpg
AP
When Jadeveon Clowney emerged from South Carolina, the red flags were flying. And the Texans ignored them. Maybe they wish they hadn’t.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Texans are getting “frustrated” with Clowney, who may miss Sunday’s game with an illness. Rapoport adds that the Texans want Clowney to “grow up” and be “more mature.”

Perhaps there’s more going on behind the scenes, but Clowney already has dealt with a lot. He had a sports hernia that required surgery in June — and he didn’t milk it at all during training camp. He tore a meniscus in his regular-season debut, potentially due to the franchise’s failure to provide the players with a sufficient field.

While it’s possible that he could play through his current illness (not enough about the illness is known to know whether he can), it seems odd that the Texans already would be frustrated with a guy who has had legitimate conditions and injuries. It’s even more odd that they’d admit it, since it’s not as if there wasn’t a risk that Clowney wouldn’t work as hard as he needs to in order to thrive at the NFL level.

His college coach questioned Clowney’s work ethic, for crying out loud. The warnings were there, and the Texans knew it. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have been dangling the pick before the draft. If they hadn’t asked for so much in trade, Clowney could have been someone else’s problem right now.

The problem could get worse if Clowney suspects that the team is leaking these concerns to the media company the team partially owns in order to get him to step up. While the report may provoke a response from Clowney, it may not be the one they’re hoping for.

I don't know if the Rams would have selected Clowney if he hadn't been picked by the Texans but all I do know is I am thrilled he was picked by them and the Rams ended up with Greg Robinson AND AARON DONALD!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe, just maybe, the Rams dodged a bullet by not taking the Clown!?!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Just another example of how fascinating the draft is. Even the #1 overall is a crapshoot at times.
I know its early for Clowney and the Texans, but I sure as hell wouldn't trade places with them at this point...

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
The weirdest thing just happened.

I literally put down my ps4 controller and paused my madden game briefly to read this article. As soon as I picked it up..
BAM
Clowney with a fumble recovery straight from the kick off

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I still marvel at the Texans taking this guy with the number 1 overall pick with all the red flags flying around him.
It's still early, but it is looking like the skeptics were right. With all those red flags on him IMHO he was WAY too big of a gamble at first overall.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
:eek:

Well, that's consistent with what many felt at the time of the draft.

Me personally; when a guy is dealing with injuries, it's never good. It's too early to know where this is going. He could still be a stud. Or... A dud.

Yup a lot of people were leery of him especially wondering what would happen when he had 20 million dollars.

Glad we opted not to pick him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It's not just that they took a question mark in Clowney, it's that they did that without having a QB of the present or future!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I literally put down my ps4 controller and paused my madden game briefly to read this article. As soon as I picked it up..
BAM

Fantasy drafting dawg??

Memphis Ram

Legend
Report: Texans are getting frustrated with Clowney.

Who? Which Texans? Players? Coaches? Fans?

Nevermind. Just run with it.

run-forrest-run-o.gif

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So he gets surgery for a sports hernia that he PLAYED THROUGH, tears his meniscus in a fluke that he could have done nothing about, and then when he gets back gets sick with an illness that he couldn't prevent, and people say "I told you so"? What is he supposed to do? Let's wait until he can actually play before we say it was a bad pick.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

BAM

Virtual Clowney is mature beyond his years

V3

Hall of Fame
Yup a lot of people were leery of him especially wondering what would happen when he had 20 million dollars.

Glad we opted not to pick him.
The Rams didn't opt to not pick him. Most Rams insiders said the Rams would have jumped at Clowney if the Texans didn't take him.

The Rams should be thanking the Texans....that is, if he turns out to be a dud. It's still too early.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wanted no part of Clowney. I celebrated the drafting of GRob and the not drafting of This guy. I just didn't see a guy who wanted to work to be great.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Come on you have to admit that Clowney would look amazing sitting on the side line in street clothes as a member of the Rams All Pro IR Team. He even has a nice big cap hit to help the IR team out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just see a guy who is privileged...now I hate to compare the two, but CAN'T YALL see the difference between Clowney & Winston? One loves to win, the other just loves the money....