Texans Could Trade for Mallett, Draft Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Miller's Insider Buzz: Sources Say Texans Could Trade for Mallett, Draft Clowney

By Team Stream Now
Mar 8, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

The Houston Texans have a major need at quarterback this offseason.

Will the Texans select a QB with the first overall pick? Could they trade for a young backup like Ryan Mallett? Would this allow Houston to take Jadeveon Clowney with the first overall pick?

Watch as Adam Lefkoe and Bleacher Report NFL Analyst Matt Miller discuss the Texans' potential options at QB in the video above.

----------
Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller have talked about this too. O'Brien knows him from New England, He has 3 years in the NFL behind Brady. Many think Mallett is better than any QB in this draft. If I was the Texans I'd strongly consider it.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Report: Ryan Mallett drawing Texans' trade interest

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ade-interest-from-texans?campaign=Twitter_atl

On Friday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast," we predicted the Houston Texans will bypass freakishly athletic South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney to select a quarterback at No. 1 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft.

General manager Rick Smith might have found a way to draft Clowney and still end up with a promising young quarterback.

Citing a league source, MassLive.com's Nick Underhill reports the Texans have "real" interest in acquiring Ryan Mallett from the New England Patriots.

Underhill told Around The League there is "nothing definite" yet, as it's still in the "just talking" phase. But Houston's interest is there.

The Texans have an obvious connection to Mallett. New coach Bill O'Brien was the Patriots offensive coordinator in 2011, when Mallett threw up a 108.2 passer rating on 19 attempts in his first preseason game.

Sitting behind Tom Brady for three seasons, Mallett has a rifle for an arm but no notable NFL experience in games that count.

Acquiring Mallett would presumably cost the Texans their early-second draft pick. That price tag might not make sense for other teams, but the leap of faith isn't as wide for O'Brien due to his first-hand knowledge of the player.

A trade makes sense from the Patriots' point of view as well. Entering the final season of his rookie contract, Mallett will be seeking his own starting job on the open market in 2015.

Bill Belichick can collect a valuable draft pick now and sign a veteran to back up Brady rather than gaining nothing in return for Mallett next offseason.

We don't make a habit of going against the instincts of the Houston Chronicle's John McClain on Texans matters, but a Mallett trade is one scenario that seems realistic for all parties involved.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Report: Ryan Mallett drawing Texans' trade interest

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ade-interest-from-texans?campaign=Twitter_atl

On Friday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast," we predicted the Houston Texans will bypass freakishly athletic South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney to select a quarterback at No. 1 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft.

General manager Rick Smith might have found a way to draft Clowney and still end up with a promising young quarterback.

Citing a league source, MassLive.com's Nick Underhill reports the Texans have "real" interest in acquiring Ryan Mallett from the New England Patriots.

Underhill told Around The League there is "nothing definite" yet, as it's still in the "just talking" phase. But Houston's interest is there.

The Texans have an obvious connection to Mallett. New coach Bill O'Brien was the Patriots offensive coordinator in 2011, when Mallett threw up a 108.2 passer rating on 19 attempts in his first preseason game.

Sitting behind Tom Brady for three seasons, Mallett has a rifle for an arm but no notable NFL experience in games that count.

Acquiring Mallett would presumably cost the Texans their early-second draft pick. That price tag might not make sense for other teams, but the leap of faith isn't as wide for O'Brien due to his first-hand knowledge of the player.

A trade makes sense from the Patriots' point of view as well. Entering the final season of his rookie contract, Mallett will be seeking his own starting job on the open market in 2015.

Bill Belichick can collect a valuable draft pick now and sign a veteran to back up Brady rather than gaining nothing in return for Mallett next offseason.

We don't make a habit of going against the instincts of the Houston Chronicle's John McClain on Texans matters, but a Mallett trade is one scenario that seems realistic for all parties involved.

I kind of want Houston to take Clowney. Because the #1 QB in the draft is still on the board when the Rams pick.
I could see Atlanta trading up for Clowney. I can see Jacksonville, Cleveland, or Oakland trading up with us for the #1 QB. My guess is that two out of those three teams will have the same QB at the top of their draft board. If we get an extra 2nd round pick from Jags or Browns, there's an excellent chance Robinson and Watkins are still there at 3 and 4. I don't feel so confident about Robinson and Watkins hanging around till pick #6. ( Atlanta's pick)

Alan

Legend
I think there's only one team high up who wants Clowney so that is an excellent point. You had me all the way to Watkins. :LOL::lifting::LOL:

Still, all that could happen despite the email I sent to Snead about the follies of not drafting an OT.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I think there's only one team high up who wants Clowney so that is an excellent point. You had me all the way to Watkins. :LOL::lifting::LOL:

Still, all that could happen despite the email I sent to Snead about the follies of not drafting an OT.

Hey, I'm being bipartisan here, simultaneously appealing to the liberal Watkin's camp and the conservative Offensive Tackle Old Guard!:cautious:

Alan

Legend
I resent that. The Offensive Tackle Young Guard camp is the liberal one. ;) :coffee:

BTW, I fixed the typo for you.

RamBill

Legend
I kind of want Houston to take Clowney. Because the #1 QB in the draft is still on the board when the Rams pick.
I could see Atlanta trading up for Clowney. I can see Jacksonville, Cleveland, or Oakland trading up with us for the #1 QB. My guess is that two out of those three teams will have the same QB at the top of their draft board. If we get an extra 2nd round pick from Jags or Browns, there's an excellent chance Robinson and Watkins are still there at 3 and 4. I don't feel so confident about Robinson and Watkins hanging around till pick #6. ( Atlanta's pick)

I see it the same way. The chance for a team to get the 1st QB taken will draw more suitors than Clowney or QB #2. Other than Atlanta who would trade up for Clowney? The best case scenario for the Rams is to trade down to #3-#5.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Or New England could be throwing this out there to make people think there's interest in Mallet.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That's a huge risk. If you have first choice of any QB in this draft and end up passing them over for a young, inexperienced, unproven backup who allegedly had a past of cocaine use that cost you your second round pick (which is as close to a first round pick as possible), you better pray you made the right choice! The fans in Houston would be outraged if that one backfires.

RamBill

Legend
That's a huge risk. If you have first choice of any QB in this draft and end up passing them over for a young, inexperienced, unproven backup who allegedly had a past of cocaine use that cost you your second round pick (which is as close to a first round pick as possible), you better pray you made the right choice! The fans in Houston would be outraged if that one backfires.

Well, Mallett has been in the NFL for 3 seasons, so I don't think there is any issue with drug use.

I don't get how Mallett is a bigger risk than any of the QB's are in this draft. There is no Luck in this group.
I'd say the rookies are a much bigger risk. Young, inexperienced, and unproven describe them more than Mallett. Mallett has trained under Brady and O'Brien has coached him, so he knows him well. He knows what it's like to be in the NFL.

The Houston fans would be outraged if the rookie QB they took was a bust too. In that case, they wouldn't have Clowney either. A bigger disaster. They will be outraged if whatever they choose to do doesn't work out. They just need to be right.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I heard this a few weeks ago, actually. Mallett us as good as Bortles, maybe better. I think it's their best move, actually. They have just as big of a chance to of having Bortles bust as they do Mallette. Plus they get Clowney.

If all fails then they can draft Mariata or Winston next year. Alls good...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Mallett has been in the NFL for 3 seasons, so I don't think there is any issue with drug use.

hernandez was in the nfl for 3 years as well. never stopped being gangsta and it eventually caught up with him. old habits die hard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I don't get how Mallett is a bigger risk than any of the QB's are in this draft. There is no Luck in this group.
I'd say the rookies are a much bigger risk. Young, inexperienced, and unproven describe them more than Mallett. Mallett has trained under Brady and O'Brien has coached him, so he knows him well. He knows what it's like to be in the NFL.

The Houston fans would be outraged if the rookie QB they took was a bust too. In that case, they wouldn't have Clowney either. A bigger disaster. They will be outraged if whatever they choose to do doesn't work out. They just need to be right.

Yeah, I agree. This makes total sense for Houston... and I expect it to happen.

They get a young QB (Mallet), who despite little playing time, is well ahead of the learning curve that Blake Bortles would have.

Plus, as they say; "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't". Mallet being the devil they know.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

You sent Snead an email? Now that's passion.

I just hope he doesn't do anything off the wall. No more Quick picks.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Yeah a drafted QB will get some slack to "learn " the NFL but if Mallet struggles ANY as a starter ,they won't have the same excuse for him.
That said ,if I was doing it I'd still take Mallet for a third round choice and let Shaub and him compete for the job,take Clowney and just tell the press Clowney was the only player in the draft WORTH the pick (if I believed it), that could be the safest way to go.

Alan

Legend
max falling for my bull:
You sent Snead an email? Now that's passion.

I just hope he doesn't do anything off the wall. No more Quick picks.
Good morning max!
I was lying through my teeth about sending him an email. :LOL:
I'm with you when it comes to Snead drafting projects.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No matter what they have to pick the player that they think will work with their team just like any other team.

That's why I can see this happening.

RamBill

Legend
Landing Mallett could make Texans contender
By Bucky Brooks

Posted: March 9, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...g-draft-observations-by-an-exnfl-player-scout

The Houston Texans' reported interest in New England Patriots quarterback Ryan Mallett could give the team the ideal "win-win" situation on draft day.

The team desperately needs to acquire a young quarterback with elite talent to legitimately compete in the AFC, yet the 2014 quarterback class doesn't offer a "can't-miss" prospect at the position. While I believe Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and eventually Blake Bortles could develop into solid starting quarterbacks in the NFL, there are certainly questions about whether each prospect possesses enough blue-chip characteristics (size, arm talent and leadership skills) to be considered at the top of the board.

That's why the Texans' potential move to acquire Mallett makes sense for a team trying to return to the ranks of the elite in the AFC. The third-year pro is a classic dropback passer who would likely rank as the top quarterback in this class based on his size, arm talent and production at Arkansas during his final season. In fact, you could argue that he should have been the second or third quarterback taken in the 2011 draft, if character concerns didn't cloud his evaluation. Mallett was a better pure passer than Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert by a considerable margin; he demonstrated more blue-chip characteristics than Andy Dalton throughout his collegiate career.

Although Mallett hasn't had many opportunities to showcase his talents as a pro in regular-season action, scouts have been impressed with his arm talent, pocket presence and leadership skills when studying his performance in the preseason. From the Texans' perspective, Mallett is intriguing because he is familiar with Bill O'Brien's offensive system and he has spent three seasons acclimating to the NFL as Tom Brady's backup. Of course, that doesn't guarantee success as a potential starter, but the fact that O'Brien played an integral role in evaluating and developing Mallett during his time in New England (they spent the 2011 season together with the Patriots) could help the third-year pro hit the ground running as a starter in Houston.

Looking at draft implications, the Texans would likely lose their second-round pick, but gain the services of a young quarterback with more potential than any quarterback in the 2014 class. Additionally, the retention of the No. 1 overall pick would allow the team to select Jadeveon Clowney to fortify a defense that is already regarded as one of the best in the league.

Given the recent success of the Seattle Seahawks, who won a championship behind a dominant defense and a young, talented quarterback, the move to acquire Mallett could help the Texans become a contender again in the AFC.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Good morning max!
I was lying through my teeth about sending him an email. :LOL:
I'm with you when it comes to Snead drafting projects.

Damn! I just told my wife, "I'm talking with a guy who is in constant e-mail contact with Les Snead!" Lol:cry:

Mallet is a Houston smoke grenade. Houston wants to trade back a few spots and draft Blake Bortles.
The Houston fan base would be so pissed if they presented Mallet as next years starter. Mallet is not worth a two. Maybe a 3rd round draft pick. I can see that. As I sit here and type, it occurs to me that the Houston's QB coach was a coach for New England last year. And before that he recruited Blake Bortles at CFU.

Last edited: