Terry Bradshaw on Peyton Manning: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A cheap shot from a guy who had Lynn Swann and John Stallworth to throw to and the Steel Curtain to keep the scores down.
---------------------------------
Bradshaw on Peyton: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 19, 2014

bradshaw-e1339681659203.jpg
AP

Former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw says current Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is great — as long as you stop watching after the regular season ends.

Bradshaw said during his his one-man show,America’s Favorite Dumb Blonde, that he views Manning as a regular-season star and a playoff choker.

“Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that — if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy,” Bradshaw said, via PFT Commenter.

Bradshaw rarely misses an opportunity to say that quarterbacks are judged based on winning Super Bowls, a viewpoint that may be slightly self-serving considering that Bradshaw, with four Super Bowl rings, is tied with Joe Montana for the most for any quarterback.

Of course, Bradshaw won those Super Bowl rings because he was on the best teams, not because he himself was the best quarterback. Although Bradshaw does have two Super Bowl MVPs to his credit, the 1970s Steelers won Super Bowls first and foremost with their defense. People forget that in 1974, the year the Steelers won their first Super Bowl, Bradshaw was only the starter for half the regular season, and the Steelers actually had a better record in the games he missed than the games he started. People forget that if Bradshaw hadn’t played so badly in so many playoff games, the Steelers could have won more than four Super Bowls: Among Bradshaw’s postseason stat lines were a 5-for-10, 80-yard, one-touchdown, two-interception game in a loss to the Dolphins, a 12-for-25, 167-yard, two-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Raiders, a 14-for-35, 176-yard, zero-touchdown, one-interception game in another loss to the Raiders, and a 19-for-37, 177-yard, one-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Broncos.

For a guy who has a reputation as a clutch performer in big games, Bradshaw sure did turn in a lot of multiple-interception games in playoff losses.

But while Manning’s passing stats dwarf Bradshaw’s, and Manning’s regular-season accomplishments (including five MVPs and seven first-team All-Pros) far surpass those of Bradshaw (one MVP and one All-Pro), Bradshaw does have those four shiny rings on his fingers, while Manning only has one. That’s something Bradshaw will continue to remind audiences of, every chance he gets.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I generally like Bradshaw, but from time to time, he says something really really stupid. This counts as one of those times.

I suppose in his view, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino rank amongst the worst QBs ever due to lack of Super Bowl success.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Unfortunately, Terry is a manic depressive who sometimes forgets to take his meds.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Terry's cold......I wonder is Montana & Brady gonna get this way when they age a lil? Just hearing how the feds are investigating Montana makes me wonder, do we really know this guy? Peyton is a beast, perhaps the teams he takes to superbowls shouldn't really be there? Being a fan of the deep ball, he's lacking there...All that dump-down stuff gets easier to defend with a better defense.....Bradshaw could always throw the deep pass...Hell, Terry could run a lil bit too, straight athlete. Marino is still the best QB I ever saw.....superbowls or not

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think a lot of people just kiss Peyton into this role of the greatest ever, but in reality there are a lot of people who share the same view as Bradshaw. Unfortunately it's the truth. It's similar to Tony Romo; narratives don't just write themselves.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
As much as I hate to say it, Brady is the QB that transcends this whole argument. He has multiple rings, always captains a playoff team despite what they lack, produced record breaking seasons, and was probably the best ever late round draft pick underdog in history.
*One of his Super Bowls was highly suspect...

As for Manning though, he is the next greatest in the league no matter how you split the numbers. People forget that he is a Super Bowl champion/ MVP so you cannot discredit him in that aspect. He has broken all kinds of records and takes the field no matter what his condition is. He has taken two teams to Super Bowls which is something that really indicates the value of a QB. Coming back from neck surgery which limited him physically, he still manages to put up massive stat lines by using his intelligence and experience alone! Manning is one of the most devoted players I have ever seen and he is a 100% lock for the Hall of Fame. He had one terrible game against one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL and suddenly people rip him down as if all of his previous achievements are meaningless.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
What a douche.

I try to stay far away from quarterback worship, and sacrifice for that matter, but even I recognize Peyton Manning as a guy who actually elevates his team.

And sorry Terry, but you and your super bowl rings, your chrome dome and your ex "wives" are a classic example of being a product of the system.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
This is like Trent Dilfer riding the ravens D to 4 Super Bowls and talking bad about other QB's... wow.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
ALL of the Cheatroits SBs are highly suspect as are all of Brady's wins.They were cheating for years and won all three SBs by a total of 9 points! They knew the defensive calls of the other teams but still just barely best them. And why do people just blame Bellacheat when Brady had to know the whole time. A play call comes into his helmet along with the defense the other team will play and can't put 2 and 2 together? That dog don't hunt.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I lost all respect for Bradshaw years ago when he attacked Martz. Martz was struggling and paranoid so he closed practices and wouldn't talk to the media. Terry knew this but still jumped on a plane to interview Martz. Terry thought he was SO important that Martz couldn't turn HIM down. Martz wouldn't meet with him so Terry had a hissy fit on national TV calling Martz names. Terry's ego was bruised.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Peyton just hasn't had that many elite defense players paired with him.

Freeney, Mathis, and that couple brilliant healthy years from Bob Sanders.

Compare that with the defensive players Brady played with when he was winning Super Bowls (Seymour, Ty Law, Willie McGinnist, Teddy Brusci, Lawyer Milloy...). I'm not even gonna mention Bradshaw's defensive cast.

Gotta have elite players or at least guys playing at elite level on both sides of the ball to be a champion, IMO.

MFaulk107

The Realness
As much as I hate to say it, Brady is the QB that transcends this whole argument. He has multiple rings, always captains a playoff team despite what they lack, produced record breaking seasons, and was probably the best ever late round draft pick underdog in history.
*One of his Super Bowls was highly suspect...
Let's remember the divison he's in.Pats have been guaranteed into the playoffs for awhilllle......and still are for at least another 3 seasons.

The bills have probably had the best defense out of the other 3 teams, but still not a great or amazing d.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I lost all respect for Bradshaw years ago when he attacked Martz. Martz was struggling and paranoid so he closed practices and wouldn't talk to the media. Terry knew this but still jumped on a plane to interview Martz. Terry thought he was SO important that Martz couldn't turn HIM down. Martz wouldn't meet with him so Terry had a hissy fit on national TV calling Martz names. Terry's ego was bruised.

I remember that now that you bring it up, it was pretty weak and if I recall he got roughed up a bit on the webernet.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I like Bradshaw as well, but he is definitely full of himself. Conveniently forgets Swann and Stallworth, Harris and Blier and, oh yeah, the defense.
Funny how Culpepper and DelHomme went south without Moss and Smith.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Bradshaw is the poster child for why Super Bowls is not a good way to judge talent.

He's also the poster child for why nobody wears a 'skullet' anymore.

Ramatik

Starter
ALL of the Cheatroits SBs are highly suspect as are all of Brady's wins.They were cheating for years and won all three SBs by a total of 9 points! They knew the defensive calls of the other teams but still just barely best them. And why do people just blame Bellacheat when Brady had to know the whole time. A play call comes into his helmet along with the defense the other team will play and can't put 2 and 2 together? That dog don't hunt.

This is exactly my feelings on the Cheatriots as well. Brady will never get any props from me on anything.