Terrell Owens: I didn’t play the game to get into the Hall of Fame

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...didnt-play-the-game-to-get-into-hall-of-fame/

Terrell Owens: I didn’t play the game to get into Hall of Fame
Posted by Josh Alper on July 17, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnhzmywywfhmzu4m2q3mjhmmzbhotdlmju5odm2otaw-e1437129968967.jpeg
Getty Images

The NFL will welcome the Class of 2015 into the Hall of Fame on August 8 and then it will be time to start thinking about who will be joining them in Canton come 2016.

The top two first-timers on the ballot are Brett Favre and Terrell Owens and there’s little doubt that Favre will sail into the Hall on his first try. There’s also little doubt that Owens’s 1,078 catches, 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns make him worthy of enshrinement, but there’s a chance that his flair for operatic levels of off-field drama could cause voters to look in other directions before stamping Owens’s ticket. If so, Owens says he won’t be too bothered by their call.

“I understand what I’ve done on the field and it’s probably well deserving of that, but I’m being honest, it really doesn’t bother me whether I get in or not,” Owens said on the Rich Eisen Show. “I know a lot of people have had that conversation and said ‘Dude, stop saying that.’ I guess from a standpoint of a legacy or what my kids can really see what I’ve done, the body of work and appreciate it, then yeah, and my family. But me, personally, it really doesn’t do anything for me because I never played the game for that. I played it because I was competitive. I played it to the point that I realized my talent and I became pretty good at it. That was my motivation. I wanted to win at all costs.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1T2KmEbDw

Owens, who last played for the Bengals in 2010, also said he thought he could still play, something that would restart the clock on his eligibility for the Hall. It seems unlikely anyone will be reaching out to him in that capacity, but that statistical record (if not always his personal one) means it shouldn’t be long before someone is giving him a call to get fitted for a yellow blazer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW9QK4IicMk

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
One of the greatest examples of how numbers lie. Hopefully the all-powerful voters will understand the need to look underneath surface stats and realize it's possible to pad stats without talent by just being a steroid freak in the right system. It will be sad if they let into the hall a WR that couldn't actually do the little things usually needed for the position like "run routes" or "catch", but then again I have little respect for those that vote for things like hall of fame/pro bowl/all pro ect. anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, in terms of catches, yards, TDs the number don't lie.
Owens was a great receiver. A lot of people don't like him....I am one of them, but, he is a HOF player based on his play.
But, Tim Brown, Ike Bruce....when guys like this, with their stats, level of play and class as players have to wait Owens should be in for a nice long wait.

fearsomefour

Legend
It will be sad if they let into the hall a WR that couldn't actually do the little things usually needed for the position like "run routes" or "catch",
He may not be your flavor of WR but he was great.
It would be like saying Shaq shouldn't be in the NBA HOF because he stunk at free throws.