Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 27-6 Win Over the 49ers/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 27-6 Win Over the 49ers

Posted by: Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/11/02/ten-takeaways-from-the-rams-27-6-win-over-the-49ers/

Even Jeff Fisher noted after his team’s 27-6 win over San Francisco that the performance left them plenty to work on before next week’s game. A dozen penalties and a tough time for the offense staying on the field made for a less than dazzling display, but a win is a win.

And for the Rams, any win in this playoff race is big. With that, ten takeaways from the win that got St. Louis over .500 in November for the first time in nine years.

1) 4-3 is a major accomplishment for this franchise. They hadn’t been 4-3 since the first seven games of 2006, their first year under Scott Linehan. Winning two in a row and playing well in back-to-back games should give the team confidence as it heads out on the road to face the Vikings next week. The last time the Rams were as good as 5-3 at mid-season? The 12-4 West Division Championship season of 2003.

2) After going 1-for-9 in third down conversions against Cleveland last week, the Rams offense was 1-12 on Sunday. That’s something Jeff Fisher noted as he pointed out that things aren’t perfect. “We converted one third down today. That just doesn’t get it done. So we obviously have some work to do. Pleased with the win, don’t misunderstand me. We came through healthy. We still have a lot of room for improvement.”

He’ll make sure the players know they weren’t perfect, either. Winning imperfectly provides a great coaching point.

3) To get better on third down, the Rams need to have a better passing game. Perhaps limiting what’s asked of Nick Foles will help. He seems to have difficulty with the deep sideline routes (in fairness, football folks say that’s the hardest throw to make). But if he can’t make that throw, perhaps one thing the Rams could try are some slants and some shallow crossing routes to their talented playmakers. Foles had great success in Philadelphia throwing to the middle of the field. With big guys like Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, plays like that would seem to be a perfect fit with the Rams.

4) The 49ers called ten passing plays and seven running plays to running backs in the first quarter, but after that only handed off eight times in the final three quarters. San Francisco gave up running and tried to throw 34 of their final 42 plays. The Rams early dominance on defense, and injuries to running backs Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush, caused San Francisco to completely abandon their game plan. And that affected the way the Rams played offense, clearly knowing that the only way San Francisco could score a touchdown would be with a fluke.

5) In half a season of home games, the Rams have allowed two offensive touchdowns to the opposition. Seattle got a touchdown pass to Jimmy Graham, and the Steelers got a one yard touchdown run from LeVeon Bell. Otherwise, the Seahawks kicked three field goals, and the Steelers, Browns and 49ers each kicked two. The Rams have had remarkable red zone success, a have done a great job of clinging to the vine when they need to keep the opponent into the end zone. Their defense at home is as good as any in the NFL.

6) The game changed on the Rams safety in the first quarter. After picking up just 26 yards on their first two possessions, the brilliant punting of Johnny Hekker forced the 49ers to start at their own three. Mark Barron stopped running back Mike Davis for back-to-back one yard losses, and then Davis was tackled in the end zone for another one yard loss by James Laurinaitis to get the Rams within 3-2. The 49er offense wasn’t the same after that play, and the Rams scored 25 of the game’s final 28 points.

7) Hekker, by the way, was amazing. He punted eight times for a 54.5 yard average, and a remarkable 49.8 net average.

Four of his eight punts pinned San Francisco inside their own twenty yard line, and three of them were downed at the three, eleven and two yard lines. It’s amazing what a weapon he is. The average starting field position for the 49ers was the 22 yard line, and on Hekker’s punts before the final minute of play it was the fifteen yard line.

8) Since the debacle against the run at Washington, the run defense has been sensational. The leading running back rushers since then have been LeVeon Bell of the Steelers, 19 for 68 yards, against Arizona Chris Johnson had 16-83, Eddie Lacy of Green Bay 13-27, Robert Turbin of Cleveland 5-30 and Kendall Gaskins of San Francisco, 5-6. In the last five games, the Rams have allowed an average of 77.6 yards per game on the ground.

9) We are in an instant gratification society, and sometimes if players don’t live up to expectations right away, they get labeled a bust. Well, with two touchdowns against the 49ers, Tavon Austin has seven, an average of one per game. My hope was that Austin could combine for ten touchdowns this season. He’s got two rushing, four receiving and one on returns. Suddenly, Austin has become one of the best weapons and best fantasy players in the NFL. He’s on pace for sixteen TD’s. Hard to call him a bust right now.

10) 28 penalties were called and 25 were accepted. Most were legitimate penalties against both teams. But if 28 penalties are called in a pro football game, either the coaches and players aren’t very good, or there are too many rules. I watch a lot of NFL games, and this happens all the time. There’s no rhythm to the games. There are simply too many rules for officials to call, and Jerome Boger’s crew loves to call all of them.

Hopefully Jeff Fisher and his cohorts on the NFL’s competition committee can cut back on some of the rules the officials call so that the game can get back into the players hands. The lurching style of the game makes it difficult to stick with.

The run defense will have their hands full against Minnesota next week, but the game is huge because it can go a long way toward determining the second wild card team in the NFC. At the moment, the Vikings have a one game lead over St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the NFC. If the Rams win next week, they’ll own that spot.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams’ Emerging Identity Leads to a 27-6 Win Over 49ers

Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/11/02/rams-identity-leads-27-6-victory-san-francisco/

For a second consecutive week, the St. Louis Rams disposed of an inferior opponent at the Edward Jones Dome in a lopsided contest, defeating the visiting San Francisco 49ers 27-6.

The Rams (4-3) are over .500 this late in the season for the first time since 2006.
foles gurley

Rams QB Nick Foles hands off the ball to RB Todd Gurley in the first half of Sunday’s Rams win in St. Louis.

Early in the season, the Rams’ offense lacked a clear identity. The young offensive line struggled gaining traction in the run game, and was not sufficient in pass protection.

That identity came to light once Rams’ 2015 first round selection Todd Gurley gained health and made his way into the starting lineup.

Running the football is now the clear identity that the Rams can lean on moving forward this season.

Gurley set an NFL Super Bowl-era record by rushing for 566 yards in his first four career starts.

The back ran the ball 20 times for 133 yards (6.7 yards per carry) Sunday, including a career-long 71-yard scamper in the second quarter to put the Rams up 8-3.

TE Jared Cook caught a two-point play from a scrambling Nick Foles to make it 10-3.

Rams’ running backs had 35 attempts at 5.1 yards per carry.

Tavon Austin ran the ball three times for 21 yards, and added a rushing touchdown.

The unusually early two-point conversion attempt came on the heels of a safety by James Laurinaitis and Michael Brockers late in the first quarter, for the also unusual 3-2 score. San Francisco kicked a field goal on their opening possession.

The success of the run game showed up when Tavon Austin caught a quick pass from Foles, taking it 66 yards to the house in the fourth quarter. Austin had two touchdowns on the game.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ crew stifled the 49ers and Colin Kaepernick, keeping the opposition out of the end zone for the second time in as many weeks.

San Francisco managed only 189 total yards on 65 plays. The visitors were worse running the ball, gaining only 38 yards on 21 attempts (1.8 yards per carry). The 49ers were a staggering 3-17 (17.6%) on third down.

The Rams sacked Kaepernick three times for (-11) yards.

Referee Jerome Boger and his staff could’ve suffered elbow inflammation, throwing flags for 25 penalties, accounting for 185 total penalty yards.

Despite the win, Rams’ head coach Jeff Fisher readily admitted he had no explanation for the continued penalties on his squad.

“I don’t have an explanation for the penalties. We have to look at them, but both teams had too many penalties. It makes it hard to win when you have penalties like that, especially some of the situations they put themselves in.” Fisher said.

An old coaching adage is that you can coach your team harder after a win. It’s hardly a dream scenario, but when the team commits this high number of penalties and emerges victorious, Fisher and his staff can be more critical of his players during the upcoming week of practice.

After going a paltry 1-12 (8.5%) converting third downs, Fisher also commented on the difficulties such an abysmal rate causes for the team’s offense.

“Another thing that comes to mind from an offensive standpoint is, yes we can run it, we’ll find a way to run it, and we have been doing that since Todd (Gurley) came aboard, but we converted one third down today. That just doesn’t get it done. So we obviously have some work to do.” Fisher said.

A few key offensive Rams provided mixed results against the Niners.

Foles was 14-23 (60.8%) for 191 yards one touchdown. His passer rating was 101.9 for the game. He was the victim, once again, of key drops that could have resulted in long gains on well-thrown balls.

Kenny Britt dropped a beautifully thrown ball on the sideline in the first possession. Britt was targeted twice and had zero catches.

Stedman Bailey had three targets and zero catches.

The much-maligned Cook had two catches for 57 yards, including a 49-yard hook-up with Foles late in the second quarter that lead to Austin’s rushing touchdown.

Most of the long play came after contact, when Cook broke a pair tacklers as he caught the ball.

The Rams look to extend their streak on the road Sunday against the 5-2 Minnesota Vikings.

FrankenRam

Starter

2) After going 1-for-9 in third down conversions against Cleveland last week, the Rams offense was 1-12 on Sunday. That’s something Jeff Fisher noted as he pointed out that things aren’t perfect. “We converted one third down today. That just doesn’t get it done. So we obviously have some work to do. Pleased with the win, don’t misunderstand me. We came through healthy. We still have a lot of room for improvement.”

Two for their last 21 3rd down attempts. That will bite them in the butt at some point if it continues at that rate.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
3) To get better on third down, the Rams need to have a better passing game. Perhaps limiting what’s asked of Nick Foles will help. He seems to have difficulty with the deep sideline routes (in fairness, football folks say that’s the hardest throw to make). But if he can’t make that throw, perhaps one thing the Rams could try are some slants and some shallow crossing routes to their talented playmakers. Foles had great success in Philadelphia throwing to the middle of the field. With big guys like Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, plays like that would seem to be a perfect fit with the Rams.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but every time I'm watching another NFL game I see the quick slant pass. I'd like to think we have enough players that could complete a 5 yard slant on 1st or 2nd down to help ease the 3rd down situation, but I'm not the paid professional here.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Network: Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin with Top Five Runs

Running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Tavon Austin are included in the NFL Network’s Top Five Runs from Week 8. The Rams posted a 27-6 win over the 49ers.

Watch Gurley/Austin Top 5 Runs

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to discuss the Rams’ Week 8 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

It's still early, but how nice is it go cover a team that has a chance at the playoffs?

JT: "It’s something different. Usually by this time around…you’re thinking about the draft and how high the Rams will pick. It’s different territory to be above .500 in nine years, since Nov. 2006. There are very few franchises that have been through (this kind of draught). Next week is kind of an important game, midseason or not. Minnesota is currently the 2nd Wild Card team."

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe I'm missing something here, but every time I'm watching another NFL game I see the quick slant pass. I'd like to think we have enough players that could complete a 5 yard slant on 1st or 2nd down to help ease the 3rd down situation, but I'm not the paid professional here.
Most of their passing game is designed to keep Foles from throwing into traffic. I don't think the coaches trust him to read or find secondary guys.

V3

Hall of Fame
To get better on third down, the Rams need to have a better passing game. Perhaps limiting what’s asked of Nick Foles will help. He seems to have difficulty with the deep sideline routes (in fairness, football folks say that’s the hardest throw to make). But if he can’t make that throw, perhaps one thing the Rams could try are some slants and some shallow crossing routes to their talented playmakers. Foles had great success in Philadelphia throwing to the middle of the field. With big guys like Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, plays like that would seem to be a perfect fit with the Rams.

This is one example why I'm still not totally sold on Cignetti as the OC. He's definitely better than Schotty but I don't get why he hasn't tried many things like what's suggested by Karraker or WTH he can't at least come up with a handful of plays that Quick can run and use them? Expand those plays each week. He just isn't putting many of the players in the best position to succeed at times in the passing game.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
l I know what you mean - the issue I see with a slant becomes one of separation from the DBs. Austin is the likely candidate, however liking him in the slot telegraphs the play. I would like to see Cook on the slant - big body and not bad acceleration.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

http://www.101sports.com/2015/11/02/ten-takeaways-from-the-rams-27-6-win-over-the-49ers/

Even Jeff Fisher noted after his team’s 27-6 win over San Francisco that the performance left them plenty to work on before next week’s game. A dozen penalties and a tough time for the offense staying on the field made for a less than dazzling display, but a win is a win.

And for the Rams, any win in this playoff race is big. With that, ten takeaways from the win that got St. Louis over .500 in November for the first time in nine years.

1) 4-3 is a major accomplishment for this franchise. They hadn’t been 4-3 since the first seven games of 2006, their first year under Scott Linehan. Winning two in a row and playing well in back-to-back games should give the team confidence as it heads out on the road to face the Vikings next week. The last time the Rams were as good as 5-3 at mid-season? The 12-4 West Division Championship season of 2003.

He’ll make sure the players know they weren’t perfect, either. Winning imperfectly provides a great coaching point.

4) The 49ers called ten passing plays and seven running plays to running backs in the first quarter, but after that only handed off eight times in the final three quarters. San Francisco gave up running and tried to throw 34 of their final 42 plays. The Rams early dominance on defense, and injuries to running backs Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush, caused San Francisco to completely abandon their game plan. And that affected the way the Rams played offense, clearly knowing that the only way San Francisco could score a touchdown would be with a fluke.

5) In half a season of home games, the Rams have allowed two offensive touchdowns to the opposition. Seattle got a touchdown pass to Jimmy Graham, and the Steelers got a one yard touchdown run from LeVeon Bell. Otherwise, the Seahawks kicked three field goals, and the Steelers, Browns and 49ers each kicked two. The Rams have had remarkable red zone success, a have done a great job of clinging to the vine when they need to keep the opponent into the end zone. Their defense at home is as good as any in the NFL.

6) The game changed on the Rams safety in the first quarter. After picking up just 26 yards on their first two possessions, the brilliant punting of Johnny Hekker forced the 49ers to start at their own three. Mark Barron stopped running back Mike Davis for back-to-back one yard losses, and then Davis was tackled in the end zone for another one yard loss by James Laurinaitis to get the Rams within 3-2. The 49er offense wasn’t the same after that play, and the Rams scored 25 of the game’s final 28 points.

7) Hekker, by the way, was amazing. He punted eight times for a 54.5 yard average, and a remarkable 49.8 net average.

Four of his eight punts pinned San Francisco inside their own twenty yard line, and three of them were downed at the three, eleven and two yard lines. It’s amazing what a weapon he is. The average starting field position for the 49ers was the 22 yard line, and on Hekker’s punts before the final minute of play it was the fifteen yard line.

8) Since the debacle against the run at Washington, the run defense has been sensational. The leading running back rushers since then have been LeVeon Bell of the Steelers, 19 for 68 yards, against Arizona Chris Johnson had 16-83, Eddie Lacy of Green Bay 13-27, Robert Turbin of Cleveland 5-30 and Kendall Gaskins of San Francisco, 5-6. In the last five games, the Rams have allowed an average of 77.6 yards per game on the ground.

9) We are in an instant gratification society, and sometimes if players don’t live up to expectations right away, they get labeled a bust. Well, with two touchdowns against the 49ers, Tavon Austin has seven, an average of one per game. My hope was that Austin could combine for ten touchdowns this season. He’s got two rushing, four receiving and one on returns. Suddenly, Austin has become one of the best weapons and best fantasy players in the NFL. He’s on pace for sixteen TD’s. Hard to call him a bust right now.

10) 28 penalties were called and 25 were accepted. Most were legitimate penalties against both teams. But if 28 penalties are called in a pro football game, either the coaches and players aren’t very good, or there are too many rules. I watch a lot of NFL games, and this happens all the time. There’s no rhythm to the games. There are simply too many rules for officials to call, and Jerome Boger’s crew loves to call all of them.

Hopefully Jeff Fisher and his cohorts on the NFL’s competition committee can cut back on some of the rules the officials call so that the game can get back into the players hands. The lurching style of the game makes it difficult to stick with.

The run defense will have their hands full against Minnesota next week, but the game is huge because it can go a long way toward determining the second wild card team in the NFC. At the moment, the Vikings have a one game lead over St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the NFC. If the Rams win next week, they’ll own that spot.
In this piece it sounds like Hekker is aiming to be Not only the ST player of the month for Oct. But Nov. too!!:D:yess::rolllaugh: