Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 24-10 Loss at Green Bay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 24-10 Loss at Green Bay
Posted by: Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/10/12/ten-takeaways-from-the-rams-24-10-loss-at-green-bay/

A weekend bereft of wins for St. Louis sports fans provided few positives. The Cardinals didn’t get the expected performance from Jaime Garcia and their defense in a Saturday loss to the Cubs, Drew Lock was proven to be an eighteen year old human in Mizzou’s loss to Florida, and the Blues couldn’t get the equalizer against the Wild.

Even though the Rams lost to the Packers, it wasn’t all bad. Here are ten takeaways…

1) This was not a bad loss. The Packers have now won their last twelve home games, and in their last ten regular season home games before Sunday had averaged 38.3 points per game. For the Rams to go to Lambeau and have a chance in the fourth quarter is actually an accomplishment.

2) We wondered when the Rams acquired Nick Foles whether he was the 27 touchdown, two interception quarterback of 2013, or the thirteen TD, ten interception thrower of last season. So far, it appears to be the latter.

With his TD pass and four interceptions (two inside the Packer ten yard line), Foles has six TD’s and five picks. Granted, he was under duress, but you just can’t throw the ball to the other team. And when you get to the red zone, as a quarterback you have to give your team a chance to score points. The two red zone picks didn’t give the kicking game a chance.

3) Todd Gurley looks like a potential star, with 305 yards in his first two NFL starts. I do wonder if, coming off an ACL injury, he can carry the burden of thirty carries a game. He had thirty on Sunday, and had 21 touches against Arizona. It’ll be interesting to see how much of a workload the Rams give him after the bye.

4) The offensive line is the opening big enough holes for Gurley, but the Packers were all over Foles in the passing game. Of course, Green Bay came into the game leading the league in sacks per pass attempt. No pressure, but this group must get better in a hurry. It will help that the Rams next four opponents; Cleveland, San Francisco, Chicago and Minnesota are in the bottom half of the league rankings in sacks.

5) Over the long haul, the Rams need a healthy Chris Long on their line. He makes everyone better, and is a spiritual leader of the entire defense. He suffered a second quarter knee injury and didn’t return. Hopefully this injury won’t be one that knocks him out for the Cleveland game. With Alec Ogletree already out, this defense can’t afford to lose any more starters.

6) Speaking of Ogletree, he was averaging about eleven tackles per game over the last three games before breaking his leg. The outside linebacker position didn’t pick up for him, with Akeem Ayers failing to register a tackle according to press box stats, and Mark Barron tallying five. But Lamarcus Joyner had seven tackles and T.J. McDonald had six, so the safeties coming up and making plays made up somewhat for the loss of the Rams leading tackler.
james laurinaitis-3

Laurinaitis’ interception ended Rodgers’ streak of 492 regular-season passes without an interception.

7) Both interceptions of Aaron Rodgers…his first at home since December 2, 2012, a span of 492 passes…were great plays. James Laurinaitis was exceptionally alert and caught Barron’s tip for the first pick, and then Trumaine Johnson made a great play for the second. Johnson has developed outstanding anticipation to go with technique and athletic ability. He’s turned the corner and looks like a premier corner in the league.

8) Greg Zuerlein missed three field goals, a 50 yarder that was blocked, the other two from 53 and 63 yards. It’s hard to blame the kicker when that happens. Granted, we’d like to have those nine points, but with a wind blowing on the field at Lambeau, it’s hard to expect Zuerlein to hit from that distance.

9) Once again, the defense was good enough. The group allowed Green Bay to score seventeen points. If the defense allows just two touchdowns and a field goal in Green Bay, you have to feel good about it. I would guess Jeff Fisher and his staff thought they’d need at least 25 to win this game, and as previously mentioned they couldn’t convert.

If Foles doesn’t throw the pick-six and is able to complete one touchdown pass inside the ten, it’s a tie game. The Packers had 322 yards, were 4-of-13 on third down (31%) and had one trip into the red zone, which was unsuccessful. That’s great Rams defense.

10) After a bye week that gives the offensive line more of a chance to mesh, the schedule opens up a bit. Keep in mind that the Rams flip-flopped guards Jamon Brown and Rodger Saffold just before the last pre-season game, so those two don’t have a ton of time at their spots and with their partners at tackle. The next five games, against Cleveland, San Francisco, at Minnesota, Chicago and at Baltimore are all very winnable games. Especially with the ascent of Gurley and the effectiveness of the Rams defense, if they don’t turn the ball over, they can beat a lot of teams. They’ve nearly reached the point that if Gurley is what we think he is, the Rams can only beat themselves.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I like most of the takes, including the thoughts on Chris Long. I actually wouldn't agree that the OL is opening enough holes because it isn't consistent yet. The Rams are getting stuffed on way too many runs. Thankfully it's Gurley's open field production keeping them in games late. I also don't agree with the paragraph about the number of tackles implying the LBs were bad by not picking up for Ogletree. It misses the mark in that it doesn't recognize the scheme/context of the stats. Of course the Rams are going to miss Ogletree but the defense stepped up as a unit without him, it doesn't really matter if it was a LB, safety, or whatever given how GW lines up these guys anywhere and everywhere. Ayers only played 20 snaps so it's a bit overly critical to call him out. Joyner's tackles mostly came on pass plays so that comment didn't make sense. As usual JL's role is belittled in leading the charge in AO's absence, he played a great game.

Rainram

Starter
We wondered when the Rams acquired Nick Foles whether he was the 27 touchdown, two interception quarterback of 2013, or the thirteen TD, ten interception thrower of last season. So far, it appears to be the latter.

Eh...ask me again in a month or two. Cherry picking off this last game a bit? Before the Packer game he had 5 TDs to 1 INT. Yea...one INT in 4 games against Seattle, Washington, Pittsburgh and Arizona. The Cards are #1 in INTs...and he gave them nothing. By yards, the Steelers are the 18th ranked defense, the other 4 teams we've played are ranked 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th. By points they are 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th.

We've played some good defenses, with a young/new OLine, QB learning new system, very inconsistent WR play, 3 games without Gurley.

Karraker may end up being right, but I'm waiting a few more weeks before I start throwing stones his way.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Eh...ask me again in a month or two. Cherry picking off this last game a bit? Before the Packer game he had 5 TDs to 1 INT. Yea...one INT in 4 games against Seattle, Washington, Pittsburgh and Arizona. The Cards are #1 in INTs...and he gave them nothing. By yards, the Steelers are the 18th ranked defense, the other 4 teams we've played are ranked 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th. By points they are 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th.

We've played some good defenses, with a young/new OLine, QB learning new system, very inconsistent WR play, 3 games without Gurley.

Karraker may end up being right, but I'm waiting a few more weeks before I start throwing stones his way.
That isn't cherry picking. What you are doing is actually cherry picking. His cumulative stats are his cumulative stats. You can't change that. But I don't think we will see such a poor outing again from Foles. None of these other teams are as formidable as Green Bay. Actually, there might not be a better defense in the league right now then GB (Except us right?;))

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like the way you roll....I'ma give Foles a few more weeks too...Heck, I doubted Greg Williams after week 8 too...LOL

Rainram

Starter
That isn't cherry picking. What you are doing is actually cherry picking. His cumulative stats are his cumulative stats. You can't change that. But I don't think we will see such a poor outing again from Foles. None of these other teams are as formidable as Green Bay. Actually, there might not be a better defense in the league right now then GB (Except us right?;))

Fair enough. We'll check back in a month or so to see how it's going. But Karraker wrote this.....

2) We wondered when the Rams acquired Nick Foles whether he was the 27 touchdown, two interception quarterback of 2013, or the thirteen TD, ten interception thrower of last season. So far, it appears to be the latter.

With his TD pass and four interceptions (two inside the Packer ten yard line), Foles has six TD’s and five picks. Granted, he was under duress, but you just can’t throw the ball to the other team. And when you get to the red zone, as a quarterback you have to give your team a chance to score points. The two red zone picks didn’t give the kicking game a chance.

And it just so happens he chose to do it after a bad game by Foles. Which was a second road game against a very tough team in a very tough venue. Coincidence I guess. I mean, had he written something up after the Cardinal game, what would it say?

Look, I ain't saying Foles is Rodgers. But before I call him out as being "2013 Foles or 2014 Foles" (of which I believe he is in between)...I am more than willing to give him more than 5 games against tough defenses in a new offense with a green OLine and unrefined receivers. That's all I'm sayin.

FRO

Legend
It was a bad loss. We could have won the game, offense sucked to much to do it. I have higher standards than some I guess.

As far as Foles, he was bad, but I'm willing to wait the whole year to make my judgement. Love his arm talent, but not sure he has great vision and technique in order to be great.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The next five games, against Cleveland, San Francisco, at Minnesota, Chicago and at Baltimore are all very winnable games.

We beat Seattle and Arizona. It's finally time to say, "They're all winnable" :)