Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 12-6 Loss to the Steelers/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ 12-6 Loss to the Steelers

Posted by: Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/28/ten-takeaways-from-the-rams-12-6-loss-to-the-steelers/

Both Anthony Stalter and I thought that, with the quality of the Steeler offense and the lack of quality in their secondary, that the Rams would have a chance to score some points and play a shootout with Pittsburgh.

Lo and behold, the Ram defense stepped up, but their offense impotent for the second straight week, and they fell 12-6 Sunday at the Dome.

Lots to cover. Here are ten takeaways:

1) The game was delayed a half hour because the Rams pregame pyrotechnic display during introductions caused a small fire on the field. I’m guessing the league didn’t think it was funny, but for a franchise that has had such difficulty succeeding, it just seemed to fit. As a fellow fan in the stands said to me, “only the Rams.” I got a chuckle out of it.

2) Guess which team has the fewest offensive touchdowns after three weeks of the 2015 NFL season? Yep, it’s your St. Louis Rams. After crossing the goal line three times in their opener against Seattle, the Rams have scored just one TD…the Nick Foles-to-Kenny Britt 40-yarder in Washington…in their last two games. If you throw in Tavon Austin’s punt return in the opener, the Rams five touchdowns scored in three games leads only Chicago. In Fisher’s seasons, the Rams have finished 24th, 22nd, and 19th in touchdowns scored.

The Fisher regime has used three top-three picks on receivers, spent $35 million and $18 million, respectively, on tight ends Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks, and spent millions of dollars and numerous draft picks on offensive linemen. Yet they can’t catch up with the rest of the NFL’s two-decade scoring explosion. It makes for really unattractive football.

3) As a fan of the old Football Cardinals, I prefer a 27-20 loss to a 12-6 loss. Just my opinion. I find it more entertaining. If given the choice, I’d rather have a good offense and a bad defense rather than the alternative, which is what the Rams have.

4) Even though they still might not have been able to get the ball into the end zone, the Rams would have had a much better chance at the end of the game had Lance Kendricks made the grab on the third quarter pass from Nick Foles that he dropped at the 15 yard line with just over 12 minutes left. Foles was sacked on the next play, and rather than getting three points on the first possession of the second half, the Rams got nothing.

5) The Rams defense knocked out Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, allowed just one touchdown, and held a team averaging more than 450 yards a game to 259. It was a nice comeback after their bad day in Washington a week earlier.
todd gurley-2

Gurley had six carries for nine yards in his debut with the Rams.

6) Fisher may defend the running game, but it has been abysmal so far. On Sunday the Rams ran eighteen times for 79 yards, a 3.9 average; but running backs ran sixteen times for 37, a 2.3 average. Through three games, the team has 214 yards and average 3.8 per carry, but running backs are 42-111, a 2.6 yard per carry average. This “run first” offense is 28th in rushing offense with receivers and the quarterback picking up 103 of their 214 yards. Once again, in their fourth year, should the early season absence of Todd Gurley hurt THAT much?

7) Speaking of Gurley, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his six carry, nine yard performance.

He’s not exactly running behind the Hogs here. Heck, when the Cardinals’ Ottis Anderson ran for 193 yards against Dallas in HIS debut in 1979, he was behind a line of Hall-of-Famer Dan Dierdorf, Terry Stieve, Tom Banks, Bob Young and Keith Wortman. That group, right to left, had nine, three, eight, thirteen and seven years in the NFL.

Gurley’s Rams group, right to left, had a rookie, five years, three years (six starts), rookie and 2ndyear player. I’m not going to blame Gurley for his day.

8) Think about rooting for a team that has been to the playoffs in 27 of the last 42 years, and in that time has been to a Super Bowl about every five years, winning one every seven seasons. That’s the Steelers. Perhaps that explains why all that black and gold was in the stands on Sunday. If there’s an NFL comparison to the Cardinals, it’s the Steelers. Congratulations to them for building such a great fan base. Winning does that.

9) With five sacks, the Rams have thirteen on the season, on pace for 69. The NFL record is 72, held by the 1984 Chicago Bears, of which Fisher was a member.

10) The way things are going, it’s hard to imagine the Rams going in to Arizona and Green Bay the next two weeks and coming out with a win. But then after their bye they get six-of-nine at home. Eight of those will be games the Rams could conceivably have a chance in, once they get their offensive line working together and Gurley entrenched.

If they can stay healthy, they could get on a hot streak. Would I predict it? No way, but Cleveland, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, Arizona at the Edward Jones Dome, Detroit and Tampa Bay are far from world beaters. You never know.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Think about rooting for a team that has been to the playoffs in 27 of the last 42 years, and in that time has been to a Super Bowl about every five years, winning one every seven seasons. That’s the Steelers. Perhaps that explains why all that black and gold was in the stands on Sunday. If there’s an NFL comparison to the Cardinals, it’s the Steelers. Congratulations to them for building such a great fan base. Winning does that.
God, that's painful perspective.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn those rushing stats look terrible....We can't be that bad at running the ball, can we? Road graders? Where?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Fassel: Rams Need More from the Tight Ends

Former NFL Coach Jim Fassel on the Rams needing more from the Tight Ends. He breaks down the Rams loss to the Steelers with Anthony Stalter.

Listen to Fassel Talk Rams

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Maybe it's the bong and the beer talking, but could it be we underestimate Jeff Fisher. Maybe Fisher is purposely pissing off the Saint Louis fan base. Humor me. Let me point out motive, opportunity, and means.

1. Am I the only one who thinks, the Rams could lose the rest of their games, and Fisher would still be Rams head coach in 2016.

2 Smells like a sport movie, such as "The Natural" or "Any Given Sunday", where the ownership sabotage their team to lose games and fanbase for financial gain.

3. Fisher went thru Oilers metamorphous into Titans. Fish has the t-shirt. He knows the drill.

4. Rams are worth a billion more buckaroo's in LA

5. It would appear Stan K. wants to move to LA

6. Perhaps Rams didn't draft La'el Collins in 7th round, because Stan bartered Collins in exchange for Jerry's s vote in move to LA.

7. Why draft OL linemen built for power blocking, yet force OL to zone block?

8. Why pay Nick Fairly to play DT, when a cheaper Westbrook plays DT almost as well? When you know Quick might never play again and your offensive line needs at least one more veteran.

9. Do you think Fisher is so delusional that he doesn't know Rams Neanderthal predictable offense can't succeed in 2015.

10. Do you get the feeling Fisher will turn everything around in LA and the Rams will make playoffs inaugural season in Los Angels? Rams on Layaway till LA!

11. Could this be reason Rams are youngest team every year.

12. Could fan favorites such as Pead still be on roster to anger fans.

13.Would Fisher repeat the same old excuses ad nauseum, knowing it will piss off fan base and media.

14. Considering the freakishly aggressive defensive personnel we have, and the way our corners play 10 yards off the WR, can you imagine
a more maddening style to play? Oh sure, we bend but don't break. Just like Tony Romo combining cupcakes and brownies and inventing Crownies.
Don't be this version of the Rams Meow . Where are you Mr. Jeffer?

15. Although playing bend-don't-break can work, it angers a substantial portion of the fan base, and more importantly,

16. It consistently keeps the defense on the field for 35 out of every sixty minutes!

17 Rams are dead last in offensive plays ran. There are NFL teams who average 20 to 30 more plays per game then the Rams do.

18. Would Fisher publically proclaim Rams identity is a Run-it-down-your-throat offense , only to run the ball 35% of the time? Does it
make you angry, when Fisher says one thing and does another? You're not going to fool me Jeff Fisher. You are a mastermind Jeff.
You won't manipulate me into hating you. You are creating a dynasty. You put the nasty back in dynasty. But you wouldn't
put Saint Louis back in dynasty. It's a LA thing. Players coach. You must be tired after we cut Cowboy scrimmage short.
Take a day off.

19. Would Indy suck for Luck? Would 76'ers purposely sabotage roster? Would Patriots cheat?

20. Nah. It's the bong and the beer.

Last edited:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
:LOL: It's working! This should be your own 'Beer and Bong' thread. @CodeMonkey went 'X-Files' earlier with a similar post. Hilarious
I can't stop the crazy voices in my head. I can only report to you what they say.

Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Last edited: