Ten Takeaways from Sunday’s 31-14 Loss in Arizona/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ten Takeaways from Sunday’s 31-14 Loss in Arizona
By Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2014/11/10/ten-takeaways-sundays-31-14-loss-arizona/

The Rams were unable to put together a complete game again on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., and were thumped by the league-leading Cardinals 31-14. The defense did enough good things to win, but the offense was held to 203 yards before its last, meaningless drive and turned the ball over three times in the pivotal fourth quarter. These are the 2014 Rams. And, with that, 10 takeaways:

1. After a half season of starting for Austin Davis, it has become apparent that he isn’t a guy to be a franchise, difference-making quarterback in the NFL.

At times, he shows moxie. But he doesn’t have an exceptionally strong arm, and doesn’t show innate aggressiveness when he needs to lead a team to a comeback.

For most great quarterbacks, their aggressiveness needs to be reigned in. For Davis, as Derek Stanley said on the 101ESPN postgame show, he looks “timid, scared and uncomfortable” in clutch fourth-quarter situations. So far, when the chips are down and there’s a chance in the fourth quarter, he crumbles. Against Dallas, the Rams trailed 27-24 in the fourth when Bruce Carter returned a Davis interception to make it 34-24 and put the game away. Down 20-7 in Philadelphia, he lost a sack-fumble-touchdown early in the third quarter that gave the Eagles a 20-point lead. Down by a touchdown against San Francisco at the Edward Jones Dome, he threw a pick-six to Dontae Johnson that gave the 49ers a two-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter.

Then in this game, he threw two interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown, and had a fumble that was returned for a score to increase Arizona’s lead from 17-14 to 31-14.

Since passing for 300-plus yards in Weeks 3 and 4, Davis has passed for 236, 155, 160, 105 and 216 yards. His passer rating in those five games is 73.3, with six touchdowns and six interceptions – plus a pair of pick-sixes. That’s no way to win.

2. The Rams had three more sacks to give them 17 this season and 16 in their last four games. It makes you wonder why it took so long to get the pass rush going. They harassed Carson Palmer until he left the game with a knee injury, and got their hands on both Palmer and Drew Stanton with pressures several times. The defense actually played well enough to win, holding Arizona to 17 points and just 335 yards.

3. With a scoreless second half, the Rams have scored 59 second-half points in nine games, and 21 of those came in Philadelphia after they had fallen behind 34-7. In eight games, they’ve scored 38 points (4.75 per game) in second halves (Green Bay scored 42 in one half on Sunday night vs. Chicago). Even with a backup quarterback, that’s inexcusable. The ability of offensive coordinator/playcaller Brian Schottenheimer to improve production after halftime seems non-existent. Granted, Davis’ turnovers have undermined the Rams. But but no team can win scoring at that rate in second halves.

4. I understand the illegal blindside block call against Lance Kendricks that cost the Rams a first down at the Arizona four-yard line late in the third quarter, but how can it be a “blind side block” if the defender is facing the tackler? It was an awful call. It’s another example of the NFL legislating hitting out of their sport. Six years ago, that play would have set up a St. Louis touchdown. Now, it devastates a team’s chances to win.

5. For the third time this season, the Rams had a chance to win back-to-back games. Last year, they won back-to-back games three times, but never won three in a row.

In 41 games as their head coach, Jeff Fisher has led them to one three-game winning streak (in 2012). The Cardinals are in the midst of their second three-or-more-game winning streak of the season. Under first-year coach Mike Pettine, the Browns have won three in a row. The Detroit Lions have won four in a row under first-year coach Jim Caldwell. It would seem a franchise in the third year of a regime would be able to put together a level of consistency beyond what the Rams have.

6. In a rather amazing stat, the opposition has scored 34 points against the Rams in four games, and 31 in their other two losses. That’s consistency. Obviously, not all of those points can be placed on the defense.

But the Rams know how many points it’ll take to win most weeks: They need to get 35 to be sure.

7. The Rams punted seven times, with five of those coming after three-and-outs by the offense. In those five drives, the Rams had 15 plays for 12 yards. When you have 12 meaningful possessions (not at the end of a half), and five of them garner 12 yards, you generally aren’t going to win.

8. In a game of explosive plays, the Rams had exactly one – their touchdown pass to Jared Cook – that went for more than 20 yards. Four of the Rams’ 10 longest plays were Davis passes in garbage time in the fourth quarter. Brian Quick is missing, but the Rams have a significant investment in Tavon Austin, Cook and Kendricks, and have talented players in Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt and Chris Givens. Yet they can’t come up with explosive plays. Perhaps this goes back to Davis or Schottenheimer, but Fisher has to solve the problem if the Rams ever hope to compete at the highest level. By comparison, the Packers had a 21-yard play, a 73-yard touchdown, a 40-yard touchdown, a 29-yard pass and a 56-yard touchdown in the first half against Chicago. They also drew a 53-yard pass interference penalty. The Rams aren’t in the same universe as the most explosive teams in the league, and haven’t been even with Sam Bradford at quarterback.

9. I love the fact that Fisher has assembled a “rock star” coaching staff that has received many accolades over the years. Several members of the staff have Super Bowl rings or multiple playoff appearances, and they’ve coached Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame players. So the pedigree is there. With that being the case, it’s disturbing to me that so many highly drafted players have failed to ascend or have even regressed.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers, who had four and then 5.5 sacks in his first two years, has one through nine games. On draft day 2012, when the Rams took Brockers, defensive line coach Mike Waufle told Michael Silver, then of Yahoo!, “They say he’s not much of a pass rusher, but we’ll teach him to pass rush. Tommy Kelly wasn’t either, at one time, and we taught him how to power rush. The last two years he’s had more sacks (14 ½) than any defensive tackle in the league, and this kid will do the same.”

That hasn’t happened. While the first of three second-rounders that year, Quick, appeared to break out this year, Janoris Jenkins has regressed. Isaiah Pead never did anything. Givens regressed after a good rookie year, too. 2013 first pick Austin hasn’t been an impact player yet, and Alec Ogletree hasn’t advanced this year.

Last year’s third-rounder, T.J. McDonald, has been solid, but fourth-rounders Bailey and Barrett Jones have yet to get on the field enough to make an impact. It’s too early to say they’re not going to make significant impact, but it’d be nice to see this staff develop some stars from among all of those picks.

10. Although Ogletree has been an overall disappointment this year, he did turn in a huge impact interception in the fourth quarter that set up what should have been a touchdown, if not for the Kendricks penalty. He was second on the team in tackles with seven, had three pass breakups and forced a fumble. The SEC group of defenders in the back seven – Ogletree, Jenkins and Mark Barron – made some plays. Perhaps the Rams significantly added to their talent base with the addition of Barron. All the defenders will need to be great to hold Peyton Manning under 30 points next week.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I agree with points 1-8, but on 9 I partially disagree and there are some mitigating factors as well. I don't think Brockers has been as good this year as last year, but I'm also wondering if his role hasn't changed a bit with the drafting of Donald. And I hate using sacks alone as a metric for measuring DL effectiveness, which Karraker seems to do here. And I don't agree that Jenkins regressed this year. He regressed last year, but save for one bad gamble against the 49ers, he was playing better this season until he got hurt. He's right on Pead and Givens.

On Ogletree, I think he's made significant strides that past few weeks. I think he's struggled to adapt to what GW wanted him to do in this D, but he's been much better the past two weeks, and it's starting to look like he has figured it out.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I hesitate to criticize the defense over the last two weeks. I think with a credible offense this defense looks much better. My only issues are with Ogletree and Jenkins being pretty gullible at times and McLeod's tendency to let WRs get behind him. My only issues with the coaching is having our corners give 8yds of cushion on a 2nd and 5.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I agree with points 1-8, but on 9 I partially disagree and there are some mitigating factors as well. I don't think Brockers has been as good this year as last year, but I'm also wondering if his role hasn't changed a bit with the drafting of Donald. And I hate using sacks alone as a metric for measuring DL effectiveness, which Karraker seems to do here. And I don't agree that Jenkins regressed this year. He regressed last year, but save for one bad gamble against the 49ers, he was playing better this season until he got hurt. He's right on Pead and Givens.

On Ogletree, I think he's made significant strides that past few weeks. I think he's struggled to adapt to what GW wanted him to do in this D, but he's been much better the past two weeks, and it's starting to look like he has figured it out.
I agree completely. It's odd how everyone seems to think Jenkins has regressed this year. He's playing great, it was just one really bad play. It's sucks that Joyner is out, but the trio of Gaines, Johnson, and Jenkins could be a strength.

Tweed335

UDFA
One of the most frustrating things for me, as a Rams fan (well, one of many), is the first 4 of 5 games the offense was clicking and scoring about 30 points a game but the D was atrocious and lost leads. Now, the past 3 of 4 games the D is showing up and holding opponents basically under 20 but the O is atrocious!

Our last 2 wins have been in spite of the O. Can we get this together, Rams, or what?!

I am/have been done with Shotty. Huh, Shotty O, seems appropriate. Maybe it's the players and lack of execution, but I agree with Karraker in the disturbing way players are and aren't being used, and the disturbing fact that the play calling in the first quarter and a half is imaginative, explosive, and aggressive, only to whither and settle into blasts, telegraphed reverses and waggle passes after that. Ugh!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Rams had three more sacks to give them 17 this season and 16 in their last four games. It makes you wonder why it took so long to get the pass rush going
it was the refs, and that is crystal clear. Now that they are out go contention, the refs are allowed to call offensive holding again.

V3

Hall of Fame

Brockers needs to gain 30lbs. If they're going to use him as a NT, he needs to have more mass. He played better his rookie year when he played at a heavier weight, too.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Brockers needs to gain 30lbs. If they're going to use him as a NT, he needs to have more mass. He played better his rookie year when he played at a heavier weight, too.
So you want him to be fatter and slower? Because if he puts on 30# before next season that's what you're going to get. Gaining mass merely for the sake of gaining mass is a mistake, IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame
So you want him to be fatter and slower? Because if he puts on 30# before next season that's what you're going to get. Gaining mass merely for the sake of gaining mass is a mistake, IMO.
He played better at that weight as a rookie than he has this year or last. He's not a pass rusher. You don't need him to be fast. He's supposed to be an anchor and to push people back so the QB can't climb the pocket. There's already evidence of it working and I wasn't the one to notice it first. Wagoner and others have brought it up, as well. If you're expecting him to be a pass rusher, you're going to continue to get what we've seen this year, that is, not much(And please don't construe that as me saying he's bad. I just think he's been playing average at best and could be better.)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I agree he needs to put on more weight, maybe up to last year's number as I thought he was very effective then. How he puts it on is something to consider too, hopefully the Rams could provide him with a nutritionist and a personal trainer to help him put on the extra weight smartly.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The SEC group of defenders in the back seven – Ogletree, Jenkins and Mark Barron – made some plays. Perhaps the Rams significantly added to their talent base with the addition of Barron.

Very impressed with Mark Barron last game. He looked dominant blitzing and rushing the passer, was solid in the run game and wasn't a huge liability in pass defense. He should only get better as he learns the defense. I would like to see his snaps go up and for us to continue the 4-2-5 three safety looks, because it was working very well.

fearsomefour

Legend
"3. With a scoreless second half, the Rams have scored 59 second-half points in nine games, and 21 of those came in Philadelphia after they had fallen behind 34-7. "

Point number 3 is the key one to me. There just doesnt seem to be another gear or an answer in the Rams offense. The lack of running game, or commitment to the running game is key to this I think. We saw Shotty want to run a spread last year and after talking up a big running game this year it has not been delivered. I think the Rams want an attacking, passing offense and it just has not come together. The woes of the offense is just not limited to points. When it goes away (usually second half) it nearly completely goes away. In the Arizona game getting a FG even after the bad call on Kendricks would have been big. Being able to pick up a couple of first downs, controlling field position and allowing the opposing Os fewer opportunities could go a long way to winning some of these games. Being able to run the ball consistently would accomplish almost all of these....easier said than done I guess.
Not a bad article, although I tire of the "they are doing this" in such a such a city in the same time Fisher is....or the "so and so has twice as much production as our guy"....almost always apples and oranges and it serves no productive purpose.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
"But the Rams know how many points it’ll take to win most weeks: They need to get 35 to be sure."

Cut out the stupid turnovers and they won't need 35 points to win games. The defense held Arizona to 17 points, and that was enough to win.