Ten burning Rams questions: #10 How will Frank Cignetti bring offense together?/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ten burning Rams questions: How will Frank Cignetti bring offense together?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ow-will-frank-cignetti-bring-offense-together

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Training camps around the league either are already underway or will be before the end of the week. The St. Louis Rams officially get underway on Friday.

In the days leading up to the start of camp, we'll take a look at 10 burning questions facing the Rams as they head toward the 2015 season.

No. 10: How will new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr. get his group to come together in his first training camp on the job?

Cignetti has no shortage of experience as an offensive coordinator. He did it for many years at the college level, but this is his first bite of the NFL apple, which represents a big change for the team's former quarterbacks coach.

Although Cignetti hasn't been on the job long, he earned positive reviews from the offensive players in the spring.

"He’s getting everybody in position to use their talents to the best of their ability,” receiver Kenny Britt said. “And that’s something that we needed. Each one has so many different skill abilities. He’s putting it to use this season.”

There will be plenty of eyes on Cignetti as camp begins and the season approaches. Former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can attest to the scrutiny that comes with calling the offense. He left to take the same job at the University of Georgia, which created the opening for Cignetti.

Cignetti's task is made even more difficult by the fact that he's dealing with an offense that has more moving parts than any group Schottenheimer dealt with in his time in St. Louis. The Rams figure to have three new starters on the offensive line, a new starting quarterback and a new starting running back. His primary job will be revving up a running game that's been just average under coach Jeff Fisher since 2012, but he's also being asked to get the most out of former No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin.

Beyond the changing personnel, Cignetti also appears to be adding some new wrinkles. In the spring, his players talked about the addition of more zone blocking concepts and an added emphasis on getting the ball out quickly in the passing game. With all of those things to deal with, it stands to reason the Rams offense will have its share of growing pains and take some time to get going once the season starts.

Getting off to a fast start is part of the reason why the Rams are training for a couple of days with the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, Calif. The added reps against another team and the likelihood that the starters will play more in preseason games should help expedite the process. That could be a good thing because the Rams simply don't have much time to wait.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Really anxious to see what this offense looks like this season. I just think we have too much talent at the skill positions to not generate some offense if the O-line is even decent.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 seeing at least half full:
Really anxious to see what this offense looks like this season. I just think we have too much talent at the skill positions to not generate some offense if the O-line is even decent.
Yeah, the O-line is key to our season. Even if it's only as good as last year, I think we have a better team this year. The results will show that I think. We're going to have a good season if we remain relatively healthy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think with better QB play we woulda won at least a couple more games last season. I also think we're better there than we were last year. Its open for debate whether or not Foles is an upgrade over Bradford. But I think everyone will agree he's an upgrade over the backups, which is what we had the last 25 games.

I think the key to winning early games is the defense. If they can come out of the gate and be dominant, the offense can stick to the game plan. Which is running the ball. And when the going gets tough, run it some more.

MFaulk107

The Realness
N' I feel our OL rookies have too much potential too NOT be decent.
A solid line, with a solid QB? We'll be golden!

RamzFanz

Damnit
"He’s getting everybody in position to use their talents to the best of their ability,” receiver Kenny Britt said. “And that’s something that we needed. Each one has so many different skill abilities. He’s putting it to use this season.”

Beyond the confirmation that the players weren't being used to the best of their abilities, I think Britt has a new word! Skillbilities! I like it!

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams will surprise everyone. We have good players and I think Cig will get them to play together. More importantly he as a long time collegiate OC I'm certain will focus on the fundamentals and eliminating penalties. The Zebras have been killing the Rams the past few seasons. That will have to stop.

Alan

Legend
RamzFanz liking the new word:
"He’s getting everybody in position to use their talents to the best of their ability,” receiver Kenny Britt said. “And that’s something that we needed.
What does that say about Schotty?

Maybe Tavon will get a chance to flash his skill abilities. :)

RamzFanz

Damnit
What does that say about Schotty?

Maybe Tavon will get a chance to flash his skill abilities. :)

In my mind, Tavon has mad skillbilities. Sounds like they weren't on board with Schotty so much, but we'll see if that's just a convenient excuse.

Alan

Legend
Anytime you have the word mad in the description of your skills it's a good thing zz. :LOL:

jap

Legend
Tavon could always be the ultimate decoy. We know that NFL DC's are always aware he is on the field, and they have no intention whatsoever of allowing him to roam in open space if they can help it. So, let them defense him and allow easier match-ups for our other fly guys.

I just hope Tavon works with somebody on his route running. For all the electric moves he displays in the open field with the ball, you would want to believe it would translate some to route running. Granted, his natural running is mostly instinct whereas route running involves planning & executing the setting up of DB's & LB's. He has to learn to out-think defenders as well as out-quick & out-speed them.

I wanna see the young OL guys get it together as early as possible although in all likelihood they may not gel before the middle of the season at best---at least with respect to pass blocking. If their run blocking comes together much more early ( a more likely scenario), the Horns may have to depend on their running game and play action passing in the first half of the season. Looking for GRob to start morphing into Gregzilla this season. With Beetlejuice at his side, we ought to have a dominant left side. Which means the rookies on the starboard side better show up early and consistently. The man in the middle at the center spot can't be a liability anymore.

I also hope Nick Foles has been best froiends with QB coach, Chris Weinke, this off-season, especially with respect to optimizing his footwork and other fundamentals. This, in turn, can serve to maximize his accuracy and distance on passes.

Gurley may be employed early on with some kick returns as the Horns ease him into the flow. I expect Tre & other RB's to get their fair share of carries as they sort out the pecking order early on. We know Gurley is a willing blocker, but he has prove he can handle it at the NFL level before he earns starting back duties under the Fisher King.

We know all about Greg and that Turbo Leg, but he needs to get it together consistency-wise this season. If the playoffs and beyond are a goal, we will have close games, and we need a reliable kicker.

Sted needs to see the damn field more. I want Quickie and Kenny in there, but Sted has to see the ball more. The guy is just too good to be playing second fiddle. With Quickie, Kenny, Sted, and Tavon over him, Chris Givens has to show he can still be relevant on the offense. If Tavon upgrades his route running---a big IF---he can easily supplant Givens' role since Tavon is already faster & quicker.

Cookie and Lance Kendricks need to step up big to assist their QB and other receivers. Cookie needs to show more than ever what a mismatch (Cookie) monster he can be. Lance will be needed in the running game and for his timely & reliable catches.