Tempo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know the offense isn't going to come out running the 4 minute offense the whole game but it sure would be a nice change to see that at the beginning of the game next week. It seems like they do that part of the offense a lot better than their regular pound it out kind of drive. Maybe its the defense maybe its just that they get momentum. Whatever it is, it would at least change things up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have moved the ball well on their opening drive, scoring points on their first drive in 5 of previous 6 games prior to yesterday.
And the Arizona game, they scored a TD on their 2nd possession.
Opening the game hasn't been the problem.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have moved the ball well on their opening drive, scoring points on their first drive in 5 of previous 6 games prior to yesterday.
And the Arizona game, they scored a TD on their 2nd possession.
Opening the game hasn't been the problem.
I remember thinking similarly about Schottenheimer... first drive good, then...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good teams excel in clock management. They have 2 min drill ready. For several years now, we've struggled to get plays in and out of a huddle. Look at the number of 1st or 2nd year QBs that love the 2 min offense. Yet we're still...moving...slowly...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Its seems like every time we get some momentum or convert a 3rd down I see a flag.....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I was talking with a buddy when the Rams were on their final drive and we both said the same thing. Both commented sarcastically that it was a good thing they weren't in a hurry with only a few minutes to go. Every "2 minute" drill offense is the same. Wastes time and doesn't seem able to push the ball down field. And the one thing we heard a lot of from Fisher and coaches during camp was that Goff excelled in the 2 minute drill. For that alone he should be in there playing.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I know the offense isn't going to come out running the 4 minute offense the whole game but it sure would be a nice change to see that at the beginning of the game next week. It seems like they do that part of the offense a lot better than their regular pound it out kind of drive. Maybe its the defense maybe its just that they get momentum. Whatever it is, it would at least change things up.
Agreed. Sometimes you get so stuck into a rut, with cadence, down and distance situational play calls, etc., you need to put a defense on it's heals so they have to stick to their base because of an up-tempo pace. I wonder why they didn't come out like that the first series of the game yesterday or even in the second half. They had two weeks to prepare for them and nothing really changed. The bye week should have included some sort of trickery not previously showed in the first 7 games. It they would have come out on the first series with a no huddle spread, I bet they could have caught Carolina on their heels and maybe scored. I also think players like a change of pace style every once in awhile. Momentum is such a huge factor in any sport, and something like this could have provided some much needed momentum early on.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't know what the solution is but you are right, our tempo sucks most games. Only one it seemed like we were clicking decently in was against Detroit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've also been disappointed in the sequences of plays. They don't seem to understand the idea of running multiple plays out of the same look. What happened to the jet sweep and the plays off that?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've also been disappointed in the sequences of plays. They don't seem to understand the idea of running multiple plays out of the same look. What happened to the jet sweep and the plays off that?
A couple things. First, I think coaches out think themselves by over thinking play calls. Second, having playbooks the size of the Encyclopedia is ridiculous. I would really like to know just how much of our offensive playbook is actually used throughout the season.

I know it can't happen in today's pro football, but I would love to see something similar to the movie Remember the Titans. Coach Boone (Denzel Washington) explains his offensive philosophy: "I run six plays. It's like novocaine, just give it time."

I remember Greg Robinson talking about his playbook at Auburn being so small compared to the Rams playbook. I suspect most college playbooks are very small compared to the NFL. So why does an NFL playbook need to be so extreme. To me it makes learning an offense become so difficult, and setting rookies back a bunch, which is what has been one of Goff's issues.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good question. The 2015 Gurley/Tavon offense has been replaced by the Britt/Quick/Kendricks offense this season. It would be nice if Boras could pool all that together in one philosophy/gameplan.

ram007

Starter
Good question. The 2015 Gurley/Tavon offense has been replaced by the Britt/Quick/Kendricks offense this season. It would be nice if Boras could pool all that together in one philosophy/gameplan.

Rams Offense is a box of chocolates. You never know if any good ones are left.