Tell me more about these prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I really like Kevin Hogan from Stanford. I think he would be a great fit for our offense. In my opinion, he is very under-rated. I look at him as a "poor man's" Andrew Luck, only in the sense that he doesn't have the same numbers Luck had coming out of college. I don't think he is a first round pick, but a definite 2nd rounder.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If we can get Goff and dont I will destroy everything I have. Goff or bust!
I'm not sure he is a fit in the Rams current offense. I have seen college QBs who played out of the gun 90% or more, of the time, struggle when learning to: 1-Get their depth, 2-Read the defense and 3-throw the ball while dropping back depending on a 3, 5, or 7 step drop from under center. this is much harder to accomplish if all you know how to do is throw from the gun. You have to re-train their entire mechanics (IMO, this is why Foles struggles, because he played in the gun in Philly and college.) The Rams are under center more than the gun. Add to the fact a QB may have played in a spread offense through high school, and it's a recipe for disaster. I've seen enough QBs come out of high school, who played is a shotgun system, then have to play under center in college and subsequently struggle badly. If we go to a spread offense where the QB is in the gun more than under center, then Goff would be a great prospect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like Kevin Hogan from Stanford. I think he would be a great fit for our offense. In my opinion, he is very under-rated. I look at him as a "poor man's" Andrew Luck, only in the sense that he doesn't have the same numbers Luck had coming out of college. I don't think he is a first round pick, but a definite 2nd rounder.

I see a late round guy in Hogan. Hard to get past his Tebow esque throwing motion. Brutally ugly. And he's not a particularly impressive thrower. Don't really see the appeal of him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whoever ends up with the #2 pick is gonna be sitting on a gold mine. The real question is where Cook goes, and it's gonna be interesting simply because he has the measurables but isn't in the kind of offense that showcases QBs.

Still early but IMO we will see three QBs in the first ten most likely. No way Cook goes later than 15 overall simply due to need at the position around the league. What will p!$$ me off is if the Rams draft, say, 5 overall and some team moves in front of us for Cook. Sure, we'll get a blue chip player in return but it won't be a QB. Gonna be a very interesting draft either way because three legit first round QBs are gonna have teams salivating.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
If Cook is like Alex Smith, I'd take him. Watching the nfl.com highlights of the Chiefs, Smith is just plain & simply a smart QB that makes smart passes & good decisions. There's a reason the Chiefs stayed with him these last couple of years.
I just want a QB that can make great decisions, process what's in front of him, and make decent passes--he doesn't need a Jamarcus Russell cannon arm, just a guy who can make a forward pass look good.
Any of the top 3 QB's, Cook, Lynch or Goff look like this guy in their highlights--Lynch has a bit more in the measurables department & less nfl-wow-like throws than the other two, but I'd take any of them. Right now the Titans and Bucs look like geniuses for taking Mariota and Winston.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Has it been established that Mannion is incapable of ever being an NFL QB?
No, not at all. I have high hopes for him. It's still fun to discuss.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I see a late round guy in Hogan. Hard to get past his Tebow esque throwing motion. Brutally ugly. And he's not a particularly impressive thrower. Don't really see the appeal of him.
Just a glimpse of him during his sophomore & junior years. I've seen worse throwing motions with current NFL QBs. To say he doesn't impress is not true. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Just a glimpse of him during his sophomore & junior years. I've seen worse throwing motions with current NFL QBs. To say he doesn't impress is not true. Agree to disagree.

The release is odd. That's for sure. But the big thing for me, is that he had all day in the pocket(only watched the first video), and that won't be the case in the NFL. The combine is gonna be a big deal for this guy. Senior bowl?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've seen him. His throwing motion is atrocious. It's elongated as hell with a ton of wasted motion forcing him to body the ball when he wants to get a lot of zip on it. That doesn't work so well in the NFL when he's not behind Stanford OLs.

And no, he's not particularly impressive as a thrower. Doesn't compare to the top QBs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Ram_Rally
-Laquan treadwell WR
-Connor Cook QB
- Jared Goff QB
-Paxton Lynch QB
-Ronnie Stanley OT
Right now, any wr looks damn good...not sold on wrs early in this draft...Treadwell is 2nd round talent imo. Very average speed...not great separation...but does make contested catches.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/laquon-treadwell/
Cook has the look of a modern day QB....his accuracy numbers should scare anyone. It's hard to be this average, against college defenses and claim to be any good....
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/connor-cook/
but I believe with better talent he'll be just fine. I've heard reports his team doesn't like him...or maybe thats Hackenberg ( who I think could really shine with some talent around him)
Goff moves around the pocket like a pro, great understanding of defenses, fast release, and is accurate. Only negative is size. Which probably effects his arm strength & durability. He's played on an inferior Cal team, which is always an added benefit imo.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jared-goff/
Ronnie Stanley was my top lineman last year....it appears that Tunsil has passed him in many experts eyes as the top LT....Either way, hard to go wrong if you have a need for a true LT (do we?). Powerful players with great feet. Stanley has nice technique too...Tunsil appears more athletic
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ronnie-stanley/
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/laremy-tunsil/

Paxton Lynch is a hard read for me....due to the level of competition...Much like
Flacco, Big Ben, Grapalo, Romo...Tools with a football hunger usually equals a real player.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/
And Lynch has the best tools of the bunch. Personally I like 6 QB's in this draft. In this order 1) Goff, 2) Cook, 3) Lynch, 4) Hackenberg, 5) Hogan 6) Brissett......and they can win in the right system.

.And if they have some common sense, they could all be prepared to start the first game. Trust me, if Foles & Keenum can start, these 6 can...
no one likes Hogan either
I don't know why...dude is a competitor, physical athlete, strong arm....probably smart as a whip....

What type of qb is he in your opinion? A poised pocket passer or a dynamic type?
Pocket passer....elite scrambler.....accurate...played behind a porous line...All he needs is strength....

What are you seeing from Goff?
Best QB in the draft at this moment...Could develop into a great player.....

Last edited:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Only since @jrry32 brought him up, and just to rub it in @MTRamsFan (I think your kid is a Griz, right) face. My man Carson Wentz. Kind of below the radar coming from an FCS school, but a big 6'5" guy, capable of bulking up plenty. Pretty damn athletic for a lanky guy like that, and he's truly got an NFL ready arm, thought I grabbed a different link than I did, but there's some good clips in here too.

Broke his wrist earlier this year, but he might be coming back to lead the Bison to a 5th consecutive national championship! A good leader, hard worker and pretty fine QB.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hogan is a bit of a mess, I don't think he is a good fit for us.
I am all over Goff watched him for 3 years. Most college qb's have real trouble with their setup bad feet etc....Goff is light years ahead in that respect.
Yes I would love it if he had more time under center but when you aren't getting a clean pocket and need time the Gun is the answer. Someone mentioned his ability to lead receivers and throw to spots, he is a bit like a college version of Warner in that way. I am not trying to pump him up to be a sure thing but as this class goes I think he is perched firmly atop.

below is about the most scathing review of Goff I can find. The article is exaggerated but gives you a glimpse of the concerns one may have.
For every negative their are far more positive reviews.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-bears-eagles-nfl-draft-arm-strength-weakness

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Love the release on Wentz

Plays from under center

Moves pretty well

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah @jrry32 it is.I thought I would post though so people can sift through and get the concerns that one may have.
I trust our ROD brothers are smart enough to realize the writer is really just having a bash session.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the release on Wentz

Plays from under center

Moves pretty well

Worth pointing out, that was his first game in his career as a starter. I think the kid has sky high potential. But he needs a lot of work on his lower body mechanics. But he's big with solid mobility, a quick release, and a rocket arm. And he combines those tools with all the instincts in the pocket, intangibles, and mental acuity necessary to be successful in the NFL. He just needs mechanical refinement and time to develop further mentally.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Ram_Rally Right now, any wr looks damn good...not sold on wrs early in this draft...Treadwell is 2nd round talent imo. Very average speed...not great separation...but does make contested catches.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/laquon-treadwell/
Cook has the look of a modern day QB....his accuracy numbers should scare anyone. It's hard to be this average, against college defenses and claim to be any good....
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/connor-cook/
but I believe with better talent he'll be just fine. I've heard reports his team doesn't like him...or maybe thats Hackenberg ( who I think could really shine with some talent around him)
Goff moves around the pocket like a pro, great understanding of defenses, fast release, and is accurate. Only negative is size. Which probably effects his arm strength & durability. He's played on an inferior Cal team, which is always an added benefit imo.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jared-goff/
Ronnie Stanley was my top lineman last year....it appears that Tunsil has passed him in many experts eyes as the top LT....Either way, hard to go wrong if you have a need for a true LT (do we?). Powerful players with great feet. Stanley has nice technique too...Tunsil appears more athletic
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ronnie-stanley/
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/laremy-tunsil/

Paxton Lynch is a hard read for me....due to the level of competition...Much like
Flacco, Big Ben, Grapalo, Romo...Tools with a football hunger usually equals a real player.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/
And Lynch has the best tools of the bunch. Personally I like 6 QB's in this draft. In this order 1) Goff, 2) Cook, 3) Lynch, 4) Hackenberg, 5) Hogan 6) Brissett......and they can win in the right system.

.And if they have some common sense, they could all be prepared to start the first game. Trust me, if Foles & Keenum can start, these 6 can...
I don't know why...dude is a competitor, physical athlete, strong arm....probably smart as a whip....

Pocket passer....elite scrambler.....accurate...played behind a porous line...All he needs is strength....

Best QB in the draft at this moment...Could develop into a great player.....
Great break down. I happen to be a huge fan of treadwell so that's interesting. It was cook who was supposedly not very liked I believe. Also in love with lynch's tools. Is he an immediate start though? Idk. I wouldn't complain with a LT. Goff will be gone.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hogan is a bit of a mess, I don't think he is a good fit for us.
I am all over Goff watched him for 3 years. Most college qb's have real trouble with their setup bad feet etc....Goff is light years ahead in that respect.
Yes I would love it if he had more time under center but when you aren't getting a clean pocket and need time the Gun is the answer. Someone mentioned his ability to lead receivers and throw to spots, he is a bit like a college version of Warner in that way. I am not trying to pump him up to be a sure thing but as this class goes I think he is perched firmly atop.

below is about the most scathing review of Goff I can find. The article is exaggerated but gives you a glimpse of the concerns one may have.
For every negative their are far more positive reviews.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-bears-eagles-nfl-draft-arm-strength-weakness
Is he the top overall prospect to you?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Worth pointing out, that was his first game in his career as a starter. I think the kid has sky high potential. But he needs a lot of work on his lower body mechanics. But he's big with solid mobility, a quick release, and a rocket arm. And he combines those tools with all the instincts in the pocket, intangibles, and mental acuity necessary to be successful in the NFL. He just needs mechanical refinement and time to develop further mentally.

Yep later throws, he's throwing off balance and inaccurate

When he sets his feet, he's good