Teddy or Johnny?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sam is our guy and he plays well when healthy and protected but he is so cautious with the football. I'm not saying I want him to throw a load of picks but all these 5 yard dink and dunk passes get frustrating and he doesn't seem to be able to look off his number one receiver. I'm not saying he is made of glass but he is not very durable. Hope he breaks out this year and puts all my doubts to rest.

I see no reason why Sam can't improve in these areas.
Sams deep ball left much to be desired his first year and a half.
He was consistently overthrowing receivers. Now he has one of the better deep balls in the game.

His red zone passing has also improved greatly. He can fit the ball in some pretty tight spaces when needed.

I would like to see him take more chances. I'll take a few more picks in trade of a few more big plays.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Manziel because of his mobility and competitive nature aspects. I still say a QB in the first rd is silly...and it becomes stupid if Bradford isn't dealt to make way for that new starter.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Teddy in a walk.
IMHO no comparison at all.
I think in five years, JM will be out of the NFL.
JM=TimTebow part 2.

scifiman

I would take Bortles and let him learn for a year and let SB walk or sign for a lot less than he has been earning next year. In todays NFL having 2 quality qb's is a good thing. You can either use for trade later if Sam plays better and stops getting injured or keep should Sam go down. Win, win.

scifiman

Teddy in a walk.
IMHO no comparison at all.
I think in five years, JM will be out of the NFL.
JM=TimTebow part 2.
There is a big difference between Manzeil and Tebow. Manzeil can actually throw and run and be accurate and is smart. Tebow could only run. The only issue is can Manzeil hold up physically. I saw him take lots of big hits by 300 pounders and he held up just fine in college.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
There is a big difference between Manzeil and Tebow. Manzeil can actually throw and run and be accurate and is smart. Tebow could only run. The only issue is can Manzeil hold up physically. I saw him take lots of big hits by 300 pounders and he held up just fine in college.

I'm not seeing a real big difference. I will grant you that he's better than Tebow, at least marginally. I don't see great accuracy, I see absolutely no patients, no running through even a semblance of a progression. Basically, what I see is a runner look at his first option and if it's not open, he runs. Sometimes even if it is open, he runs. And I know he's held up fine in college, but you know as well as I do, the dudes in the NFL are faster, bigger and stronger (by a long shot) than college.

By saying I see Tim Tebow part 2, I mean he plays some, fails, then leaves the NFL. Not that he was as bad as Tebow, just I see the same scenario is all. Just IMHO.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
What is it about JM that reminds you of Tebow? I dont see the comparison at all.

No progression reads, no self control, he goes back, looks at one option then runs. Sometimes even when he does not need to, he runs. I grant you he's better than Tebow, just not by a ton and he has the same M.O. - does not read his progressions, runs too often, accuracy not that good.....I just see a similar scenario taking place (to Tebow) with JM, that's all. And if NFL defenses caught RGIII, Vick etc., they'll catch JM. And if they didn't hold up, neither will JM. Just IMHO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I want to see Bradford progress through his options and don't go to the check down so quick. Obviously a good OL helps, but many times last year he'd look at 1 WR and then just check it down when there was a WR open elsewhere.
See... I keep reading this but it is not what I saw last season at all. In fact, someone did a video (might have been @-X- ) of all of Sam's completions last year. You could watch him go through his progressions when given time. I really think this is just something people have glommed onto. No offense. What I saw was a lot of congested plays and routes and rarely much time to allow plays to develop. Was that due to receivers not able to get open, not enough time to GET open, play calling, whatever. But Sam does not just go one read and then check down. Sorry but if you have two seconds to throw, you have to either throw it or take a sack or run. More time allows more options. Open receivers allow more options than the check down. As a young QB, Bradford had more difficulty going through his reads and reading defensive formations. Last couple years - I don't believe so.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
As an aside, this thread title makes me smile a bit as a wrestling fan.

2 years ago at Wrestlemania XXVIII, SmackDown General Manager Teddy Long and RAW General Manager John Laurinaitis (James' uncle) were feuding because both men wanted to become the GM of both brands... resulting in a "Team Teddy vs. Team Johnny" match.

Team-Teddy-vs-Team-Johnny.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teddy Bridgewater quite easily. What separates the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world from the Colin Kaepernicks and Jay Cutler is what's between the ears.

People drool over physical tools but it's how you end up with a Blaine Gabbert. Colin Kaepernick's arm is 10x better than Peyton's a this point in his career but Kaepernick isn't half the QB Peyton is.

Bridgewater processes things incredibly quickly, he reads the defense pre/post-snap, he ran his offense from the LOS, he understands how to manipulate coverage with his eyes, he has stellar pocket presence, and he's a precise passer with a great sense of timing. Guy also murdered the blitz in 2013 because he reads the defense so well and is fearless in the face of the rush.

Really ask yourself who you'd rather have...

This Guy

or

This guy

Don't get blinded by the flash and miss the substance.

BeerOClock

Rookie
Teddy Bridgewater quite easily. What separates the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world from the Colin Kaepernicks and Jay Cutler is what's between the ears.

People drool over physical tools but it's how you end up with a Blaine Gabbert. Colin Kaepernick's arm is 10x better than Peyton's a this point in his career but Kaepernick isn't half the QB Peyton is.

Bridgewater processes things incredibly quickly, he reads the defense pre/post-snap, he ran his offense from the LOS, he understands how to manipulate coverage with his eyes, he has stellar pocket presence, and he's a precise passer with a great sense of timing. Guy also murdered the blitz in 2013 because he reads the defense so well and is fearless in the face of the rush.

Really ask yourself who you'd rather have...

This Guy

or

This guy

Don't get blinded by the flash and miss the substance.

I can't get any more blind than you are on Bridgewater. And, Kaepernick's arm being 10x better than Peyton Manning's at this point--pure drivel. Peyton as a sophomore at Tennessee was a better passer than Kaepernick on his best day.

Bridgewater has a great release and reads defenses well. He has accuracy problems on all but short or simple mid-patterns--like Tebow. Manziel has a much better arm than Bridgewater. With the right offense, Bridgewater will be a productive NFL QB but, until he develops better accuracy on the difficult throws, good NFL defenses will blitz and play press coverage knowing they're less likely to get burned. You don't pick QBs that have this limitation in the Top #20. Bridgewater reminds me very much of Ryan Nassib (who I like, FWIW).

Manziel is Manziel. Never in my lifetime have I seen a QB prospect so hard to gauge. He has a good arm, incredible mobility and intangibles I haven't seen since Joe Montana was at Notre Dame. On the other hand, he has parts of his game that most likely won't translate to the NFL. If anyone thinks they can determine that Manziel will be a star or a bust, they're fooling themselves. The best scouts can't. The best coaches can't. I can't. You can't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't get any more blind than you are on Bridgewater. And, Kaepernick's arm being 10x better than Peyton Manning's at this point--pure drivel. Peyton as a sophomore at Tennessee was a better passer than Kaepernick on his best day.
He meant arm strength.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kaepernick's arm is 10x stronger than Manning...easily. Kaepernick has arguably the strongest arm in the NFL. Manning's is one of the weakest among NFL starters...if not the weakest.

Bridgewater has a great release and reads defenses well. He has accuracy problems on all but short or simple mid-patterns--like Tebow. Manziel has a much better arm than Bridgewater. With the right offense, Bridgewater will be a productive NFL QB but, until he develops better accuracy on the difficult throws, good NFL defenses will blitz and play press coverage knowing they're less likely to get burned. You don't pick QBs that have this limitation in the Top #20. Bridgewater reminds me very much of Ryan Nassib (who I like, FWIW).

You've done it now. This isn't remotely true.
wyizzs0.jpg

UFWnqVj.jpg

db0HWPQ.jpg

Bg2qIFDCUAEhrm_.png:large

nfl_e_bridgewater11_576x324.jpg

BeyondLOS.png

BmjtoJTIgAAKOg9.jpg

The only area where Bridgewater struggles with his accuracy is on the deep ball and it's because of a combination of factors.

Manziel is Manziel. Never in my lifetime have I seen a QB prospect so hard to gauge. He has a good arm, incredible mobility and intangibles I haven't seen since Joe Montana was at Notre Dame. On the other hand, he has parts of his game that most likely won't translate to the NFL. If anyone thinks they can determine that Manziel will be a star or a bust, they're fooling themselves. The best scouts can't. The best coaches can't. I can't. You can't.

And therein lies the problem. I don't know how he'll pan out. Nobody does. Bridgewater isn't hard to evaluate. He's coming from a West Coast Offense that gave him the same type of responsibilities that NFL QBs face and asked him to make NFL type throws. It's not hard to project him out...whether you like him or not.

Manziel is. He's polarizing and frankly, I have no idea if he'll be good or not. He's just too abnormal. So why would I risk it on a guy like Manziel when I feel confident in Bridgewater's ability to be a success?