Teams not throwing Jenkins' way --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Teams not throwing Jenkins' way
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1b9bdc6a-cc90-5cab-9af4-f50bb8a1165f.html

On Green Bay’s first pass play of the day, quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw deep down the left sideline toward wide receiver Ty Montgomery. Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins was in tight coverage and the pass fell incomplete.

After that, Rodgers gave Jenkins the “Richard Sherman” treatment during the Rams’ 24-10 loss Oct. 11. Rodgers threw 29 additional passes that day at Lambeau Field; not one of those 29 was thrown in the direction of Jenkins, whose stat line consisted of all zeroes. No tackles, no interceptions, no pass breakups. ...

“It was boring, but at the same time I still had to play football,” Jenkins said. “I couldn’t go to sleep out there because it was A-Rod. In my mind every play I was just thinking he was gonna come over there anyway.”

But Rodgers didn’t. Much was made of the fact that Rodgers didn’t throw at Sherman, the much-heralded Seattle cornerback, a year ago when the Packers and Seahawks met in their 2014 season opener.

Perhaps Rodgers was showing similar respect to Jenkins.

“I see it as a sign of respect,” Jenkins said. “But at the same time, he probably saw something on the other side that he liked better. Probably match-up wise or whatever.”

A week earlier in Arizona, Jenkins was involved in a couple of high-profile plays — one good (an acrobatic interception) and one bad (a pass interference penalty). But otherwise, Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer didn’t throw much in Jenkins’ direction either.

“Most times, what I’ve been noticing the first five weeks, teams are basically trying me with the double move,” Jenkins said. “If they don’t have any success with that, they just go away from me. But like I said, I just stay on top of my game and don’t go to sleep out there.”

The Montgomery route against Jenkins in the Green Bay game was a double move — a stutter-and-go to be precise. But Jenkins didn’t take the bait.

He has, of course, taken the bait in the past and that has led to some feast-or-famine moments for the fourth-year pro.

The feast has come in the form of six defensive touchdowns scored by Jenkins since entering the league in 2012 — more than any other NFL player. One of those TDs came on a recovered fumble; the other five have come on interception returns for TDs, a total that ties the franchise record for career “pick 6s.”

The famine has come when Jenkins has gambled, going for the interception and getting beaten for TDs by receivers fooling him with double moves.

But such plays have been few and far between lately. Jenkins is playing well entering Sunday’s home game with Cleveland, displaying more game-to-game consistency than he has displayed in the past.

Pro Football Focus has him ranked 16th among all NFL cornerbacks in terms of overall grade. Opposing quarterbacks have only a 79.3 passer rating against him according to PFF.

While acknowledging that the gambling and double moves have resulted in some problems in the past, Jenkins feels he’s playing some of the best ball of his career.

“Yeah I do,” he said. “I say that to myself, that I’m finally 100 percent. No nagging injuries. I’m not out there with a sore knee or a sore ankle, you know what I’m saying? I’m just finally healthy.”

Although the Rams didn’t make much of it last season, Jenkins suffered a sprained MCL in the team’s Oct. 19 Monday game with Seattle, and it bothered him for much of the season. Teams knew that, and threw at him.

“Once they knew that I was hurt, they were coming at me,” Jenkins said.

He was on the team’s injury report for most of November because of that knee injury and reappeared on the injury report near the end of the year with a back issue.

“Why I was getting beat, I was hurt last year,” Jenkins said. “I don’t care what anybody says. Double moves, I was just trying to make plays.”

So far this season, Jenkins has 23 tackles, two interceptions, and two pass breakups.

Even after allowing two TD passes against Rodgers and Green Bay, the Rams as a team have allowed only five touchdown passes on defense all season, which is tied for the league low. While recognizing that the NFL is very much a week-to-week league, the secondary is finally showing signs of gelling as a unit.

“We’ve been together for a while now,” Jenkins said. “So everybody’s got a feel for each other, how each other plays. Their strengths and weaknesses, so we’ve just got to keep putting it together week in and week out.

“We’re pretty technique-sound. I think Coach D’s doing a good job, fixing our fundamentals and techniques within press.”

(Dennard Wilson is one of the Rams’ defensive backs coaches.)

Jenkins and fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson are in their fourth season together in the Rams’ secondary, although Johnson has not been a full-time starter during all of that time. At safety, Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald are in their third years as starters.

McDonald is the only one of those four starters who is under contract after this season. The others are scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

In the case of Jenkins, the Rams have had ongoing discussions with his agent on a new deal since last spring. Jenkins, in fact, said the Rams made an offer to him last week during the Rams’ bye.

But the numbers apparently weren’t to Jenkins’ liking because he indicated Wednesday that he plans to wait until the end of the season to act on a contract, hinting that he may test the market.

“I’m not talking about the contract,” Jenkins said. “I ended that last week, when they gave me those numbers. It was something I didn’t want to hear. I ended it just like that. I’ll play it out. I’m gonna bet on myself.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
People chuckle when I tell them Jenks is a shutdown corner, and that's OK.

He needs to be on T. Benjamin on Sunday and he better be ready because McCown will feed Jenks if Jenks is playing at his best. McCown's not scared but he should be.

Browns can test our secondary.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He is a top 5 corner this year for sure. The back end has cleaned up nicely between him and Mcleod. I expect him to get beat eventually but so far this year he has been a stud. I think he gets a pick six on Sunday.

Athos

Legend
He's cleaned up his game this year. Hope it's not just contract play but he's awesome.

He's priority 1 in FA. Making sure he stays.

jjab360

Legend
Finally living up to the hype, I'm glad to see it. Him and TruJo haven been bright spots this year.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
If both of them keep playing well, I'm afraid we're going to lose one to free agency. I know Gaines will be back, but you can't have too many good corners.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is a top 5 corner this year for sure. The back end has cleaned up nicely between him and Mcleod. I expect him to get beat eventually but so far this year he has been a stud. I think he gets a pick six on Sunday.

I won't mind if he doesn't get any pick six's because most of them were when he was playing a more risky game and took chances. I like the more disciplined version of JJ

jap

Legend
This is the Jenks I was hoping to finally see, a savvy CB veteran who still gambles but does it judiciously instead of biting on every double move or misreading the smarter QB's. I indicated before the GB game that that was going to be a prime test of Jenks' growth, to see whether he could avoid being schooled by Aaron . . . again! Through the Rams retired veteran network he has occasional access to another gambling CB who did remarkably well in his day---Aeneas Williams. I do not know whether Jenks took advantage of Aeneas' wisdom, but that is one outstanding role model for just about any NFL CB.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I smell a pick six this Sunday... McCown will be pressured early and often and will throw one up for grabs. Jackrabbit or Trujo take it to the house.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I've been rough on him in the past, and aside from one play in the Redskins game, I can't really think of anywhere he got beat really bad. Teams have been avoiding him, he's shutting guys down. He has finally learned when he should and should not gamble as well. Been terrific in the run game as well, he really seems to pride himself on doing the dirty work and making the tackle and even taking out lead blockers.

On the other side, Johnson has been playing terrific as well. His size and athleticism allow him to make so many plays, and he's recognizing things a lot better this year. He's not the type to jump on every route, but when he does, he's usually right, and we've seen him make those plays a few times. He has those 2 picks on the season and dropped another one in the Redskins game. He's also just been more consistent in his coverage than previous years.

I'd say right now, we might have 2 of the top 20 corners in the entire NFL, these guys are playing so well. I think finally being healthy is a key factor for both of them.

We really need to re-sign these guys, and McLeod too, who's doing a great job, no one is testing us deep really. If we get these guys back, with Gaines coming back next year, TJ McDonald on fire as usual, and Joyner and Roberson as starting caliber depth, we will have one of the best secondaries in the entire league. I'm really interested in seeing what Melvin White on our practice squad can do as well. He played pretty well for Carolina and has intriguing size and versatility. He might be a very worthy addition to this group.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In the game inside the game...say Tru picks Rodgers early (think he had a chance at one)...and Rodgers is forced to try Jenkins a few times...different game?

I always thought JJ was a good corner...Now it seems he wants to get paid like one...I hope we can re-sign him, but it doesn't look good....

MrMotes

Starter
I don't know if JJ's is finally getting it or we are.

But the Rams have always treated him like a #1 corner and i never thought it was a mistake. He was a pro bowl alternate last year, made the all rookie team his rookie year, so none of this should really be a surprise...

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I liked that article until the end... The rams are going be busy trying to sign the secondary back.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He still makes me nervous... but his play this year has been very sound.

Johnson has also stabilized.

So, as many have said, it they continue to play like this until the end of the season, the Rams might have a tough decision to make.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember when teams backed off Jenkins because he had some issues in college? You have to give the guy a lot of credit. I wish we could sign both of our corners but, I agree, it doesn't look good. Fortunately we still have Gaines, Roberson, and Joyner. I don't think McLeod will be re-signed.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I used to be pretty tough on JJ, too.

He was such a sucker for double moves. And those deep TD's allowed. Some missed tackles.

But I've gotta say that he's really plugged up the holes in his game.

Hell, I've even seen him making wrap up tackles!

Hope we can resign him, now. TruJo, as well.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to be pretty tough on JJ, too.

He was such a sucker for double moves. And those deep TD's allowed. Some missed tackles.

But I've gotta say that he's really plugged up the holes in his game.

Hell, I've even seen him making wrap up tackles!

Hope we can resign him, now. TruJo, as well.
All it takes is one play that costs us a game... just sayin'

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Care to elaborate on what you're really (just) sayin'?

When exactly did he "cost us a game"?

60 plays a game for 3+ years = 3,000+.

How many "double move"s -3 (maybe)?
Way overblown. And of those, how many were supposed to be covered by the safety?

I think you just don't like the guy, for whatever reason. When Aaron fucking Rodgers stays away from Cobb because of JJ, I'd say he's a keeper, and worth premium money.

My ever so humble opinion, of course.

Last edited: