Teams cant block assistants from coordinator gigs- per Rap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good. This stops some of the bitch ass coaches like the fat fuck who is in Dallas now from stopping opportunities for his staff. Nice change.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. I know it'll likely affect us with coaches like Pleasant, Henderson, and Yarber likely all getting assistant jobs eventually, but at least they'll have a chance to advance up the NFL ladder.

Last edited:

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Don't think it will affect us much different, McVay is usually very open to his assistants growing and advancing, Assholeface, McCarthy and some others will whine and just have to kick rocks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kiss Aubrey Pleasant goodbye in 2021. I'm ambivalent about this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good that rat little prick in SF kept doing it to people who should have been promoted already.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think it's a very good rule. I've seen it stifle the careers of more than one rising star assistant. Teams don't have to honor their contractual commitments to coaches so it should go both ways. There are creative ways to keep an assistant from being poached by being creative in their title. We have all seen "assistant head coaches" added to a coordinator's title. So unless he's going to be a head coach they wouldn't be blocking his upward mobility (in the team's eyes), even though he would never be a head coach for that team. It's just a ploy to prevent poaching by other teams. All they do is add a nominal increase in the coach's salary and the team is protected.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kiss Aubrey Pleasant goodbye in 2021. I'm ambivalent about this.
If he has a chance to be a defensive coordinator in the league, McVay wouldn't have stood in his way. Doesnt change a thing. On the other hand, if the Rams o-line has another bad year, Bill Callahan could decide to leave Cleveland and take his talents to the West Beach

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here was the issue, Assistant could move to another team as along as their was a Supervisory Tag, that was the verbiage in previous years, but what teams started doing was poaching coaching staffs, by getting a good special team Coach by making him "Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams." That was not right and is why the NFL allowed teams to deny permission unless it was for Head Coaching Gigs.

Now, I always felt that they should have included the opportunity to be either Offensive or Defensive Coordinators and now they do. BTW, you just name someone Linebacker Coordinator Coach, so there is that protection against teams trying to keep Assistants from moving onto Coordinator positions.

Sean McVay has allowed everyone of his Assistants to interview for better opportunities, Matt LeFleur is a good example as LeFleur was Offensive Coordinator for the Rams, but did not call the plays, he was offered the job as OC with the Titans, that included play calling, the Rams actually could have blocked that and technically it was not a promotion, but McVay allowed LeFleur the opportunity, which enabled him to land the Green Bay gig.

Asshole Face has been the worst at blocking his Assistants and the Vikings have been bad too, so hopefully this will allow Assistants opportunities and I'm glad the NFL finally realized this. So moving forward if a team wants to hire one of your assistants as an OC or DC, you must allow them to interview and I'm sure Special Teams Coordinator is included too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here was the issue, Assistant could move to another team as along as their was a Supervisory Tag, that was the verbiage in previous years, but what teams started doing was poaching coaching staffs, by getting a good special team Coach by making him "Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams." That was not right and is why the NFL allowed teams to deny permission unless it was for Head Coaching Gigs.

Now, I always felt that they should have included the opportunity to be either Offensive or Defensive Coordinators and now they do. BTW, you just name someone Linebacker Coordinator Coach, so there is that protection against teams trying to keep Assistants from moving onto Coordinator positions.

Sean McVay has allowed everyone of his Assistants to interview for better opportunities, Matt LeFleur is a good example as LeFleur was Offensive Coordinator for the Rams, but did not call the plays, he was offered the job as OC with the Titans, that included play calling, the Rams actually could have blocked that and technically it was not a promotion, but McVay allowed LeFleur the opportunity, which enabled him to land the Green Bay gig.

Asshole Face has been the worst at blocking his Assistants and the Vikings have been bad too, so hopefully this will allow Assistants opportunities and I'm glad the NFL finally realized this. So moving forward if a team wants to hire one of your assistants as an OC or DC, you must allow them to interview and I'm sure Special Teams Coordinator is included too.
Yeah and McVay has paid the price for it too. The dropoff we had last year at OC was significant IMO, you can see it in how often teams are sitting on routes and anticipating our run game. There was very little adjusting going on until the latter half of the season when McVay obviously took a bigger role and you could see it in the moving pocket that allowed the offense a bit of a resurgence.

And yes the OL was a big part of the problems. But it wasn't the only problem. Gameplanning and poor effort/consistency from the RB room were both contributing factors too.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yeah and McVay has paid the price for it too. The dropoff we had last year at OC was significant IMO, you can see it in how often teams are sitting on routes and anticipating our run game. There was very little adjusting going on until the latter half of the season when McVay obviously took a bigger role and you could see it in the moving pocket that allowed the offense a bit of a resurgence.

And yes the OL was a big part of the problems. But it wasn't the only problem. Gameplanning and poor effort/consistency from the RB room were both contributing factors too.

Yeah, the offense was nowhere near the precision of McVay's first two years and the rbs were a big part of that. There was a similar inconsistency in the D. The coaching staff as a whole had a down year. Not surprising that changes were made at the top with McConnell and Staley coming in.

If the new players and picks contribute as hoped the Rams imo now have the talent to make a deep run. To do so they need to adapt quickly to new schemes on O and D and get back to McVay's game of high precision execution on both sides of the ball. It will be a challenge with limited practice.

Re your comment on rbs: I've been thinking recently that Akers is THE most important key for this year. (We already know the o-line needs to step up). He will find holes if there are any, but the Rams need him to learn the scheme fast, not just running but blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield. Especially catching the ball. Also think we will see him throw the ball on sweeps and fakes.

Rams need Akers to be able to stay on the field for all three downs and make someone on D account for him for multiple options on every play. When Akers can really execute the full package he will transform the offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams need Akers to be able to stay on the field for all three downs and make someone on D account for him for multiple options on every play. When Akers can really execute the full package he will transform the offense.

And let's keep this Offensive Line together most of the year with the few exceptions being Noteboom taking over for Whitworth as the torch has been passed and maybe Evans for Havenstein, but if not, even better.

LT...Andrew Whitworth
LG...Austin Corbett
C....Austin Bythe
RG...David Edwards
RT...Rob Havenstein

And plenty of Green for Akers to run.....2020 the year of Green Akers.