Teams are playing keepaway from Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Teams are playing keepaway from Rams

• BY JIM THOMAS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_730e7d27-a81d-5d68-ac21-1babcc2936e5.html

Two games into the season, time of possession and ball control have been killers for the Rams. They were able to get away with it against Seattle; not so much in Week 2 against Washington.

Seattle had the ball 9 minutes 56 seconds longer than the Rams in that overtime game. The disparity was even worse this past Sunday, with Washington having the ball a whopping 15 minutes and 28 seconds longer than the Rams.

Those lopsided possession numbers have resulted in the Rams running only 101 plays on offense this season, a league low. Meanwhile, their opponents have run 145 plays against them in two games – the second-highest total in the league.

Put the two together, and the Rams have run 44 fewer plays than their opponents this season – a league-wide high in terms of disparity between plays run by a team and plays run by its opponent.

That’s a big number. In a league where each team normally gets about 65 plays a game on offense, it’s as if the Rams are giving opposing teams three or four extra offensive series a game. Give anyone enough extra chances in the NFL and they’re going to eventually score. So if the Rams don’t change that, and change it quickly, they’re not going to win many games.

It’s a multi-faceted problem but the solution is obvious: The Rams need to get off the field on defense, and stay on the field on offense. Neither was the case against Washington.

“Third down is a problem,” Fisher said. ‘We need to improve that on both sides of the ball.”

On offense, the Rams converted only two of 12 third-down opportunities against Washington, or 17 percent. And one of the two conversions, a 14-yard completion to tight end Jared Cook, doesn’t really count. It came on the final play of the first half, when Washington’s only concerns were avoiding the big play and keeping Rams ball carriers from getting to the sideline and stopping the clock.

In recent years, the league average for third-down conversions is just under 40 percent, so 17 percent is way off the pace.

“The third-and-longs are always difficult to convert, the percentages say,” Fisher said. “We’re just not making our plays. We had two first downs in the first two drives, and then we had three-and-outs. You’ve got to get chunks on the early downs and stay out of third down.”

Or at least get to third-and-short. The Rams were in a true third-and-short situation only once at FedEx – a third-and-2 early in the second quarter. And they got in third-and-2 only because Washington outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan was flagged for being offsides on third-and-7.

Six of the Rams’ 12 third-down plays on offense were third-and-10 or higher. The worst was a third-and-23 hole following a pair of penalties late in the third quarter. At that point, it was a one possession game with the Rams trailing 17-10.

The Rams also had what some would call “third-and-manageable” on five occasions – plays in which they faced between a third-and-4 and third-and-7. Their only true conversion of the day came on third-and-4 late in the fourth quarter, when quarterback Nick Foles completed a five-yard pass to Cook.

“The run game offensively needs to get better,” Fisher said. “We had three 3-and-outs and four 4-and-outs in the game, and that doesn’t give your defense a chance to even rest, let alone give your offense a chance to make plays.”

One of the hallmarks of Fisher’s best teams over the years in Tennessee was an ability to run the football and control the clock. The Rams have been trying to do that for three-plus seasons under Fisher in St. Louis, selecting five running backs in four drafts under Fisher and general manager Les Snead.

In terms of beefing up the offensive line, the Rams have tried the pricey free agent route. See: Scott Wells and Jake Long. And they’ve tried the draft, selecting left tackle Greg Robinson No. 2 overall in 2014 and picking four O-linemen last spring.

Even with all those resources used on the run game, the Rams have finished no better than 19th in rushing offense under Fisher. They’re 27th so far this season, averaging 71.5 yards per game.

You know things aren’t what they should be when a wide receiver, Tavon Austin, is the team’s leading rusher. Austin has 57 yards on eight carries. Rams running backs have accounted for only 74 yards, on just 2.8 yards per carry.

Speaking of the Washington game, Fisher said: “We had some good runs, but then you have tackles for losses or you have those runs for a yard, two yards (where) something goes wrong. We had a number of instances where had the back pressed the hole, then we might have picked up some additional yards. Or had we read it right and cut back.

“Everybody was taking their turn on the runs that were not effective for us. In addition to that, we didn’t get the opportunities, either. We didn’t have 37 rush attempts (Sunday) for 60 yards.”

No, they had 13 attempts for 67 yards. It was Washington that had the 37 rushing attempts – for 182 yards.

So it has become quite the vicious cycle. The Rams haven’t been able to get into a rhythm on offense partly because their defense hasn’t been able to get off the field. But their defense has been on the field a lot in part because the offense can’t sustain drives.

“Getting into a rhythm (on offense) is up to us,” right guard Rodger Saffold said. “Once again, it comes to just consistency.

“If we’re going 3-and-out, like we were at Washington, we’re not giving our defense enough rest to be able to stop anything.”

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If the team's unable to run the ball, pass the ball! Practice rolling left all week so Foles can execute the play! Go Rams!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn..this is depressing:
You know things aren’t what they should be when a wide receiver, Tavon Austin, is the team’s leading rusher. Austin has 57 yards on eight carries. Rams running backs have accounted for only 74 yards, on just 2.8 yards per carry.
Getting off the field....get off the damn field. Make a tackle...get off a block.

How about we get some chain movers in at WIDE RECEIVER Jeff? How about we get rid of the ball Foles? How about we quit relying on Benny to save the season...He had his good game. Don't try to turn him into Stacy...Oh yeah, shoulda kept YIKES man...

They aren't playing keep away...we aren't possessing the ball....And the defense is in modified bend but don't break form....letting guys run up our cornhole.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
WE have to begin this game going against our tendancies. We are as predictable as any team playing and we must ON PURPOSE bring different looks. Yes scouting the opponent better than we did last week will be a MAJOR help to us. We need surprise on our side. Schotty never changed and we as written by @rhinobean above must learn to roll Nick Foles to his left wether he not be comfortable with it or not. We are just too predictable and very easy to gameplan for. Cignetti was hired over many other OC's hopefully due to his ability to be creative . I had known him as a QB coach to be a major details guy. I hope he brings many more weapons than the one deep throw to Britt they practiced over and over last week to this game. We need the FULL ROUTE TREE for our WR's. Lets get some seperation recievers and give Nick Foles that extra second to be very accurate with his form and throw. Even our dump off safety valve options that got us many first downs in the seattle game were rushed with many bad throws and drops when we had time to make 1st downs. NO INJURIES!!!

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm all for the grind it out style that Fisher wants on Offense and believes the young OL is better at doing that than protecting long developing pass plays. I also have been impressed with the screen game. However....at some point you need to pressure the defense. You have big physical guys like Britt (and Quick when he comes back) to have chances on deeper 50/50 balls. You have Austin and Givens who can certainly take the top off. I just think that increasing the number of deeper/riskier plays is important in keeping defenses honest. I've always felt that with the change in penalties it is hard for DBs to play deep balls. If they are underthrown, to me the WR has the advantage. If the DB doesn't use the right technique they get called for a lot of panic oriented PI, IF it gets picked off it usually is a glorified punt, and finally, it keeps the DBs honest. To be honest Foles deep stuff has been disappointing. Bradford would drive me crazy by overthrowing deep plays by 10 yards or throwing the ball out of the field of play. For me, Foles is late and, for someone with a good arm, underwhelming so far. Take a shot on first down and see what happens. I'm not advocating Lamonica and the Raiders of old but a few messages deep can give you that instant offense this team needs and, at worst, can keep the DBs honest for more of the Rams bread and butter underneath stuff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Damn..this is depressing:

Getting off the field....get off the damn field. Make a tackle...get off a block.

How about we get some chain movers in at WIDE RECEIVER Jeff? How about we get rid of the ball Foles? How about we quit relying on Benny to save the season...He had his good game. Don't try to turn him into Stacy...Oh yeah, shoulda kept YIKES man...

They aren't playing keep away...we aren't possessing the ball....And the defense is in modified bend but don't break form....letting guys run up our cornhole.

LOL great minds think alike......I first read the thread title and thought "the other guys aren't playing keep away the Rams are playing give it back".

3rd down is a problem, it's just two games so I ain't hittin' the panic button. Yet!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We had two first downs in the first two drives, and then we had three-and-outs.
I was thinking about this as I watched the first quarter offense.

I know Schottenheimer wasn't a genius or anything... but at least most of his scripted plays worked (then, he became clueless :().
What I saw from Cignetti's scriped plays made me go hmmmmm...
Drive 1 - 4 plays, 13 yards, punt
Drive 2 - 4 plays, 15 yards, punt
Drive 3 - 3 plays, 5 yards, punt
Drive 4 - 3 plays, 8 yards, punt

Hope this improves Sunday!