TE Bayer looking to win a job again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_871dd649-be52-5c0f-a341-089bb92c2d19.html
Rams tight end Alex Bayer was one of the surprises from training camp a year ago. Now he’s looking to follow up on that.

An undrafted free agent from Bowling Green, Bayer led the team in receiving during the preseason with 10 catches for 135 yards, including a 42-yarder. He was active for just six of 16 regular-season games but did manage to recover a muffed punt in the team’s 27-24 loss at San Diego.

“I only played in six games last year; this year, I’d like to play in all 16,” the 6-foot-4, 258-pound Bayer said. “I want to be part of as many of the special teams units as possible and work in some offensive packages as well.

“I’m out here trying to win a job, just like last year.”

Bayer, 24, suffered a bit of a setback when a lingering foot injury forced him to miss organized team activities in the spring.

“I had minor surgery a couple of weeks before OTAs, but I’m 100 percent again,” he said. “It was frustrating at the time — going into your second year, that’s when you really want to start making a name for yourself — but (assistant head coach/offense Rob Boras) was really good with me. He kept me staying patient, reminding me that camp is when you earn your job.’’

Bayer is off to a solid start in camp and came up with a handful of catches in traffic during seven-on-seven drills Sunday.

“I’m just a lot more comfortable and confident now,’’ he said. “Last year, I was the new guy. I didn’t know anybody and nobody here knew much about me or my potential. But now, with that year behind me, I know the routine and I have a much better understanding of the offense. There’s no hesitation. I know what I need to do and I’m a lot more comfortable around the other tight ends and the guys on the offensive line.”

Bayer continued: “Working every day against Chris Long and Robert Quinn and the other guys on our defense, you can’t help but improve.”

Tight end is one of the Rams’ stronger positions, featuring veterans Jared Cook, who had a team-leading 52 catches a year ago, and Lance Kendricks, who tied for the team lead with five touchdowns. The unit also includes versatile Cory Harkey as well as Bayer, Justice Cunningham and Brad Smelley.

“At this level, nothing is given to you,’’ Bayer said. “Each year, you’re out to win a job and I know the other guys at the position feel the same way. It’s going to be a fun competition throughout camp, and hopefully that can bring out the best in all of us.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Practice No. 3, which drew a Sunday evening crowd of 1,332, was by far the most spirited so far. The day featured the first skirmish of camp after a run around right end by Tavon Austin. It was hard to tell who was involved in the middle of the scrum, but at one point rookie guard Jamon Brown took third-year safety T.J. McDonald to the ground.

Monday’s special teams practice is closed to the public. The schedule for the remainder of the week includes open-to-the-public workouts on Tuesday (3:30 p.m.) and Thursday (5:30 p.m.).Friday’s scrimmage at Lindenwood University in St. Charles will run from 5-6:30 p.m.

Tuesday will mark the team’s first full-squad workout in pads.

“We need to put pads on, especially up front, so they can get used to it,” Fisher said. “Even the quarterbacks need to get used to throwing the ball with shoulder pads on. We’ll have some good work throughout the week. ... Then Friday, we’re going to go over to Lindenwood and we’ll have pads on, so we’ll get a really solid workout.”

• DE Chris Long (back stiffness) and S Mark Barron (knee) sat out again Sunday. Barron, however, did some running with RB Todd Gurley, whose practicing is still limited to individual drills.

• Second-year cornerback Marcus Roberson had three interceptions Sunday, including one that would’ve gone for a touchdown. Just a few plays after getting beat on a long pass to Stedman Bailey, Lamarcus Joyner turned the tables with a nice pick in the flat on a Nick Foles pass intended for Bailey.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Slightly off topic but, in regard to what Nick has said about practices and the starting times, why do they start so late in the day?

Do they practice behind closed doors in the morning and then have the open session in the afternoon or is it just the one session per day?

It doesn't seem like two or three hours per day is enough to get a team ready for the new season or for players on the bubble to try to prove themselves. I'm guessing its down to the CBA how much practice time the teams get.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've liked Bayer since the Rams signed him as an UDRFA out of Bowling Green. Bayer has sweet hands and people forget that sometimes you actually have to catch the football, plus Bayer seems to be able to get separation.

Barring injury I like his chances to remain on the 53 and possibly get some more playing time as well. Bayer is also the backup long snapper so that also enhances his chances on making the squad.