TD Kick Return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if anyone posted this but the kick return pretty much deflated the team.

Anyhow, I watched the play a couple of times and Cody Davis was being held by two guys during that play. When he was trying to get off the block you could clearly see he was trying was turn around to make the tackle on Davis but couldn't due to the hold.

Did anyone else see this also?

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I would check but I deleted that debacle already. I could bear to watch it again.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I actually thought it started with the missed FG after the turnover that gave us a 1st and goal and we walked away with no points.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually thought it started with the missed FG after the turnover that gave us a 1st and goal and we walked away with no points.

I agree. The kickoff was certainly terrible, but getting nothing after a turnover gives you first and goal on the 8...That sack on third down there also seemed to start Davis on a bad slide - too much spinning and running backwards instead of keeping eyes downfield.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I saw the hold on Davis. Don't really care anymore. I'm done blaming refs. Davis was doubled so he had no business making a play anyway. Where was everyone else?? They had all these players crashing in from the right 10 yards upfield and nobody came close to making a play. Either terrible coaching or terrible execution.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I dont get is why they are not just kicking it out of the end zone everytime. Hell KC's kicker put a couple into the stands?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Watched it again and took some screen prints. It was a horrible play design and a blown assignment by Chase Reynolds.

upload_2014-10-27_7-54-1.png

The player most responsible for losing contain was Chase Reynolds (34) who should have been LEFT of Cody Davis and unblocked. But he took the bait of Knile Davis starting left before running right. Instead of maintaining his lane assignment left of Cody Davis, Reynolds went to the right of Cody Davis.

upload_2014-10-27_7-56-13.png

Cody Davis got double teamed (held perhaps to the OPs point?). Because of Reynolds and his selfish move, he became one of 6 (count them) Rams players on the wrong side of Cody Davis who were not in position to make a play. Begs the questions:
  • why were there 6 (!!!!) players coming from that side of Cody Davis in that stupid looking bunch? Spacing, guys! Was this by Fassell's design?
  • where the F was Chase Reynolds going? He has no faith in the 5 players who were already there, that they would not be able to make the play without him going there too?? Have some faith in your teammates, Chase!

upload_2014-10-27_7-59-9.png

Once Knile Davis decides to go right, only McLeod is left on that side of the field to stop him. McLeod never got off his block, you can see him being blocked for both of the last screen prints, but at least he forced Knile Davis off the sideline and back to the inside pursuit... which was where?? Nowhere. Yep, they were all upfield in that stupid bunch of 6 players.

upload_2014-10-27_8-4-43.png

Last Rams player to really have a chance is Zuerlein. But you should take note of TJ McDonald at the top of the screen. He should have had an angle if he hustled.

upload_2014-10-27_8-8-16.png

But it's off to the races. Reynolds (after running around Cody Davis and his two blockers) chases Knile Davis from behind, but has no chance. TJ McDonald at the top of the screen doesn't even come close to getting off his block.

Pitiful play from the Rams. Don't blame the ref.

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-27_8-6-41.png
    upload_2014-10-27_8-6-41.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 143

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Watched it again and took some screen prints. It was a horrible play design and a blown assignment by Chase Reynolds.

View attachment 3841

The player most responsible for losing contain was Chase Reynolds (34) who should have been LEFT of Cody Davis and unblocked. But he took the bait of Knile Davis starting left before running right. Instead of maintaining his lane assignment left of Cody Davis, Reynolds went to the right of Cody Davis.

View attachment 3842

Cody Davis got double teamed (held perhaps to the OPs point?). Because of Reynolds and his selfish move, he became one of 6 (count them) Rams players on the wrong side of Cody Davis who were not in position to make a play. Begs the questions:
  • why were there 6 (!!!!) players coming from that side of Cody Davis in that stupid looking bunch? Spacing, guys! Was this by Fassell's design?
  • where the F was Chase Reynolds going? He has no faith in the 5 players who were already there, that they would not be able to make the play without him going there too?? Have some faith in your teammates, Chase!

View attachment 3843

Once Knile Davis decides to go right, only McLeod is left on that side of the field to stop him. McLeod never got off his block, you can see him being blocked for both of the last screen prints, but at least he forced Knile Davis off the sideline and back to the inside pursuit... which was where?? Nowhere. Yep, they were all upfield in that stupid bunch of 6 players.

View attachment 3844

Last Rams player to really have a chance is Zuerlein. But you should take note of TJ McDonald at the top of the screen. He should have had an angle if he hustled.

View attachment 3846

But it's off to the races. Reynolds (after running around Cody Davis and his two blockers) chases Knile Davis from behind, but has no chance. TJ McDonald at the top of the screen doesn't even come close to getting off his block.

Pitiful play from the Rams. Don't blame the ref.
Nice breakdown, Junkman. At the time I didn't really notice Chase's critical mistake but TJ's inability to get off his block was what jumped out at me. Also as someone mentioned, why wouldn't you kick it into the stands? The worst part was this was how the second half started and it seemed to deflate what little spirit may have been left. It was a hard game to watch.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The player most responsible for losing contain was Chase Reynolds (34) who should have been LEFT of Cody Davis and unblocked.
Thanks for posting the pics, awesome breakdown. However, I do not think it is as cut & dried as you make it seem. We simply do not know which player was assigned outside contain responsibility. It's very possible Cody Davis had outside contain responsibility and Reynolds was the gunner, in which case it would be Davis' "fault" -- and I put fault in quotes because Davis is clearly being held. Very poor officiating to not call holding on that hand wrapped around the outside of the shoulder pad, especially when Davis is doing the classic back-to-the-runner because he can't twist free of the hold.

Actually this is a great example of what's wrong with Pro Football Focus-type grading. The video suggests Reynolds fault, but unless we know who was assigned outside contain, we can't know 100% fault. Only the Rams know who blew the outside contain assignment.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I thought Chase Reynolds was a special teams "ace". Isn't that why he made the team?

He was a suck yesterday,.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Thanks for posting the pics, awesome breakdown. However, I do not think it is as cut & dried as you make it seem. We simply do not know which player was assigned outside contain responsibility. It's very possible Cody Davis had outside contain responsibility and Reynolds was the gunner, in which case it would be Davis' "fault" -- and I put fault in quotes because Davis is clearly being held. Very poor officiating to not call holding on that hand wrapped around the outside of the shoulder pad, especially when Davis is doing the classic back-to-the-runner because he can't twist free of the hold.

Actually this is a great example of what's wrong with Pro Football Focus-type grading. The video suggests Reynolds fault, but unless we know who was assigned outside contain, we can't know 100% fault. Only the Rams know who blew the outside contain assignment.

Ummm... not to be confrontational or anything, but check out where Reynolds lined up. It seems unlikely that his assignment was to run from the left outside lane across the wedge into the middle the field into the middle of a pack of 6 other Rams? Because of where the kickoff went, the wedge (to the extent they still allow wedges) went at Cody Davis (2nd lane) which means there was nobody outside of Cody Davis other than Reynolds.

upload_2014-10-27_11-22-33.png

It wasn't just Reynolds fault, tho. Zuerlein flubbed the kickoff which was problem #1. But that absurd bunch of 6 rams in a tight cluster, that's just terrible coaching. SPACING!!! They teach it in pee wee leagues. In kickoff coverage, you have to maintain your lane or bad things happen. 7 Rams all within 10 yards of each other in that tight bunch, that's just bad coaching.

upload_2014-10-27_7-56-13-png.3842

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Zuerlein had an awful game. Why not just blast the kick through the end zone and give them the ball on the 20. Why screw around and try stupid crap like this? I felt the game turned on his missed FG though... when Davis took the awful sack and GZ couldn't hit from 38. I knew right then - that's it.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Ummm... not to be confrontational or anything, but check out where Reynolds lined up. It seems unlikely that his assignment was to run from the left outside lane across the wedge into the middle the field into the middle of a pack of 6 other Rams?
Again thanks for posting the pic. This actually supports the theory Reynolds was the gunner and therefore it was Davis' "fault" for losing outside contain. It's most common for the gunners to be the man closest to the sidelines, and the second man in is the outside contain. It may seem weird that they are supposed to cross paths, but the theory is the gunner is widest to evade the front of the wedge and come in from the side to make the tackle.
(And I don't feel you are being confrontational at all, please let me know if I'm coming off that way!)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to belabor the point but Davis was being held by two players and did have an angle on the ball. He was even turning with both hands free. A VERY easy call to make. Then McLoed was held in front of the ball downfield. There were two pretty obvious holds on that return.

Now - the kick was also either a stupid idea or severely botched by GZ. Judging by how out of position most of our players were, I'd have to go with the latter.

In the end however, you can't have your team lose it over a bad play. If that "deflated" them, they need to develop shorter memories and man up. Sorry but this shit is going to happen to any team from time to time and the good ones play through it. We simply are not there yet. Sure hope we figure it out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anyhow, I watched the play a couple of times and Cody Davis was being held by two guys during that play. When he was trying to get off the block you could clearly see he was trying was turn around to make the tackle on Davis but couldn't due to the hold.

Prior to both of these Plays the was the "Obscene Bad Call" on Ogletree, and then these two plays, that convinced me, we were in for a REALLY Bad Day!! I said on another thread, Prior to the game "..I more worried about Kniles Davis than Charles.." I think I was right!!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Zuerlein mishit the kick. After that, you noticed that their kicker had someone holding for him on all of their kickoffs.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Again thanks for posting the pic. This actually supports the theory Reynolds was the gunner and therefore it was Davis' "fault" for losing outside contain. It's most common for the gunners to be the man closest to the sidelines, and the second man in is the outside contain. It may seem weird that they are supposed to cross paths, but the theory is the gunner is widest to evade the front of the wedge and come in from the side to make the tackle.
(And I don't feel you are being confrontational at all, please let me know if I'm coming off that way!)

Sure, but isn't he supposed to be attacking from the LEFT side of the wedge.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not sure if anyone posted this but the kick return pretty much deflated the team.

Did anyone else see this also?

Dude, they came out deflated and the KRTD just made it obvious. They didn't look like the hungry young team I'm accustomed to watching.