Taylor Rapp highlighted as a player ready to break out in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Taylor Rapp highlighted as a player ready to break out in 2020

Cameron DaSilva

Taylor Rapp had to wait a little while before becoming a starter for the Rams last season. It wasn’t until John Johnson suffered a shoulder injury in Week 6 that Rapp was promoted, though he was still playing snaps as a backup even before Johnson went down.

Rapp didn’t stand out right away as a starter, but it became apparent fairly quickly why the Rams liked him so much in the 2019 NFL Draft. His instincts stood out, his tackling was great and he was highly capable in coverage.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a feeling that Rapp will be called upon by New DC Brandon Staley to come often on the Safety Blitz. Staley's scheme (Fangio's) calls for that and Rapp is the perfect type of Safety to bring on the blitz IMO. He tackles well and the Safety Blitz can help contain a running QB because the Safety can get to him so like Wilson & Murray for example.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rapp was a really fantastic pick. It did seem like he made his share of rookie mistakes in his reads and in zone, but his addition was a big factor (along with SJD's play) in helping our defense make a massive jump in run defense in 2019. The guy really is gifted in run support and he's not a liability in coverage in fact he's pretty good already.

I agree here with Den that Staley offers an opportunity to make the most of his skills too. And not only on the blitz but he's also going to get better at his zone reads in this scheme. Looks like Rapp has a chance to be a perennial Pro Bowl level player and you can't have enough of those guys. (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rapp was a really fantastic pick. It did seem like he made his share of rookie mistakes in his reads and in zone, but his addition was a big factor (along with SJD's play) in helping our defense make a massive jump in run defense in 2019. The guy really is gifted in run support and he's not a liability in coverage in fact he's pretty good already.

I agree here with Den that Staley offers an opportunity to make the most of his skills too. And not only on the blitz but he's also going to get better at his zone reads in this scheme. Looks like Rapp has a chance to be a perennial Pro Bowl level player and you can't have enough of those guys. (y)

did the defense make a huge jump in stopping the run in 2019? I thought that was the biggest weakness.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
24th (4.8 ypc) to T-8th (4.1 ypc).

that's why the ravens and cowboys games were such a mystery. what happened to the team in those games? couldn't get anything going on either side of the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
that's why the ravens and cowboys games were such a mystery. what happened to the team in those games? couldn't get anything going on either side of the ball.

Those games we got physically beat up front. We lost on the LOS. There were other games too, like Tampa, where we lost the LOS. So both lines had issues tbh, although I do think our DL as a whole played better than they have in years vs the run (SJD improved us on the nose there) and Rapp in particular made a ton of good run fills to support that.

They just haven't had the players to get to that elite range yet. I don't know that Robinson and Floyd will change that, but they'll certainly help us vs the run, so I would think we'll remain in that 5-10 range if things go well.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure hope so. At times last year I loved his play, other times he was a head scratcher. Hope he and all the guys on defense are put in schemes to excel.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus, has any new D Coordinator had the opportunity to start with a HOFer in his prime like Donald? Staley should be thanking the almighty for this opportunity!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

A few things hurt the rams on defense. Both of those teams were top 5 in rushing, the Ravens pretty much ran on everyone they led the league with 204.8ypg. Unfortunately they both ran for season high's against us. Another problem was tackling, 14 missed tackles against the cowboys, 6 against the Ravens. I don't think they as count broken tackles either, pretty sure Ingram had about 6 on one run. The offense also did the defense no favors, the defense was on the field alot because the offense couldn't string drives together. The Ravens just about doubled our time of possession.

The Ravens outside rushing attack was too fast and strong for our OLBs. Wade tried to counter with the 6-1 formation but that left us weak up the middle.
20200609_174841.jpg

20200609_174827.jpg

20200609_174811.jpg

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few things hurt the rams on defense. Both of those teams were top 5 in rushing, the Ravens pretty much ran on everyone they led the league with 204.8ypg. Unfortunately they both ran for season high's against us. Another problem was tackling, 14 missed tackles against the cowboys, 6 against the Ravens. I don't think they as count broken tackles either, pretty sure Ingram had about 6 on one run. The offense also did the defense no favors, the defense was on the field alot because the offense couldn't string drives together. The Ravens just about doubled our time of possession.

The Ravens outside rushing attack was too fast and strong for our OLBs. Wade tried to counter with the 6-1 formation but that left us weak up the middle.
View attachment 36862
View attachment 36863
View attachment 36864

yeah, they were two of the best rushing teams but the rams faced plenty of good rushing teams and handled them pretty easily. the whiners had the best rushing attack in the league (if qbs aren't involved) and the rams took care of business against them.

both those games (ravens/cowboys) were total team failures.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Plus, has any new D Coordinator had the opportunity to start with a HOFer in his prime like Donald? Staley should be thanking the almighty for this opportunity!
Ramsey too. Two players that are arguably the best at their positions. Talk about being incredibly fortunate.