Taylor Lewan - Tale of the Tape

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm only 50% serious 25% of the time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is difficult in some of the pics to see if the waist bending is coming from moving his opponent back which would create the space between them and in turn create a reaching affect.

I didn't post any pictures of it but he often started bending at his waist right after he came out of his stance into his kick-slide. And you really shouldn't be bending at your waist when moving your opponent back in pass protection. As an OL, you're taught to sit in your stance, shoot your hands, lock onto the defender's chest plate and lock his arms out. You're not supposed to be bending or moving towards him(aside from your arms/hands). You make him come through you. Unless you're trying to sell a play-action, you really shouldn't even be trying to move the defender back or drive him (unless he gets the corner...in that case, you have to drive him past the QB). As a pass blocker, you're doing your job best when you lock on, sit in your stance, anchor in, and control the defender. Gotta stay on your line to reduce the angles the defender has to attack and the amount of ground you have to defend.

Hopefully that made sense, it seems a little muddled reading it over right now. :)

All these prospects are college kids.

OP

If we're going to knit pick then I don't want the rams drafting anyone @2 because they're not worth it

They're definitely guys worth drafting at #2. This isn't nitpicking. I'm not questioning how good Lewan will be because his hair is a half inch longer than the average Tackle. These are major parts of playing the position at the NFL level. Both technical and physical. This is the type of stuff you look for when you evaluate whether a guy will or won't be successful in his transition.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I didn't post any pictures of it but he often started bending at his waist right after he came out of his stance into his kick-slide. And you really shouldn't be bending at your waist when moving your opponent back in pass protection. As an OL, you're taught to sit in your stance, shoot your hands, lock onto the defender's chest plate and lock his arms out. You're not supposed to be bending or moving towards him(aside from your arms/hands). You make him come through you. Unless you're trying to sell a play-action, you really shouldn't even be trying to move the defender back or drive him (unless he gets the corner...in that case, you have to drive him past the QB). As a pass blocker, you're doing your job best when you lock on, sit in your stance, anchor in, and control the defender. Gotta stay on your line to reduce the angles the defender has to attack and the amount of ground you have to defend.

Hopefully that made sense, it seems a little muddled reading it over right now. :)

Actually it made great sense. I totally spaced on the pass pro and was commenting as if it was run blocking Duh. Great description Jrry. Thanks

They're definitely guys worth drafting at #2. This isn't nitpicking. I'm not questioning how good Lewan will be because his hair is a half inch longer than the average Tackle. These are major parts of playing the position at the NFL level. Both technical and physical. This is the type of stuff you look for when you evaluate whether a guy will or won't be successful in his transition.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks, RD.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's not true that I was putting my thoughts into what jrry and the others said. When I was saying that I was coming at it from the direction of Bou being a great talent evaluator. Looking at it from my perspective I believe that what i said was relevant and appropriate.

But more importantly, it's not about Bou being a good coach and you still not liking Lewan. It's the fact that if the Rams pick Lewan it will be because Bou said it was a good idea. If you think that's not true then doesn't that mean you think that Bou is not a great judge of O-line talent? On what basis do you hold that view? I see plenty of logical reasons why he could be an expert and no reason he wouldn't be except that not all coaches are good talent evaluators. Do I have something wrong there so far?

So knowing that you think he isn't a great judge of talent, I wouldn't expect you to later make comments like, "whatever Bou thinks is good with me." That's what I referred to as having your cake and eating it too. You either believe he's a great judge of talent and put your trust in his choices or you don't. Be consistent. But I was really only ribbing you guys a little as I noted when I said I was only 50% serious. :)
I know that. Sheesh! Can't take the heat. o_O

Anyway, the Rams could take any number of O-linemen and Bou will no doubt have a say in who or at least given the opportunity to voice his opinion. But I have no idea if worse line coaches are better evaluators or if Bou is equally as good of an evaluator as he is a coach. And I never said he wasn't a great judge of talent. Who are you? Jeff fucking Dunham? Get your damn hand out of there and let me speak for myself!

Also, Bou could say, "this guy is the biggest stud in the group. I want him." and Fish or Snead could tell him too bad, he gets the other guy because that's where they have a WR or Safety slotted. Bou is going to get his two cents in. Seems like it would be stupid to have a position coach and not care what he thinks of players. But does Bou get his players? Does Sherman get his?

In the end, I can believe Bou is a great coach, assume he knows talent, not want Lewan on our team, say, "Oh well, whatever Bou thinks is good with me." OR say "WTF was Bou thinking? Sure hope he can coach him up."

If you want to call that having my cake and eating it too, that's fine. I usually do. Hey... Who the fuck takes a cake and doesn't eat it? I can see having to accept a fruit cake in the mail and not eating it. Is that what you mean? But how is that having your cake? To me, if I'm having a cake, that's me deciding on a corner piece or the part in the middle with a little less frosting. I'm eating the damn thing. On THAT you can bet. Just don't be throwing one of those dry chocolate cakes with weak ass chocolate frosting either. I'll decide what kind of cake I take and I'll decide when and how much of it I'll eat. If Bou is standing there, I'll probably offer him a piece too. As long as he doesn't try and take the whole damn thing. Because that would be HIM having my cake and eating it too cuz I would no longer HAVE my cake. That would be pretty fucked up if you think about it. Why is Bou taking my cake? Man I hate Lewan!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you're joking but I actually didn't understand the having your cake and eating it too analogy for a good while. I used to think the same thing you're joking about...well, of course, I'm going to eat a cake that I have. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lewan's character really got hammered by scouts in McGinn's article:
3. TAYLOR LEWAN, Michigan (6-7, 311, 4.85, 1) – Four-year starter at LT. "He's had some off-the-field issues," one scout said. "He's also bigger, more athletic and has longer arms than Matthews. He's the fastest O-lineman in the draft. I know he can pass protect from left tackle. He is the guy that is not getting his real due, OK?" Also led tackles in the broad jump (9-9), bench-pressed 29 times and posted 21 on the Wonderlic. "He'd be an OK left (tackle) and a good right tackle," another scout said. "There's some issues there, I'm sure. Somebody described him as Eddie Haskell, which is probably a good analogy. I don't worry about that. But you don't want to be getting calls at night on the guy." Has repeatedly lost his cool on and off the field. "He's got a mean streak," a third scout said. "He's eccentric. When he was young, he'd ride around campus on a tandem bike. Not a typical Midwestern lineman." From Cave Creek, Ariz. "(Jake) Long was better because Lewan is undisciplined," a fourth scout said. "He's a better athlete than Jake Long, but he's not as tough. He's about 10% of the leader Jake Long was. Lewan's in it for himself. He loves it when people tell him how great he is. It's to his detriment."

laramsoriginal

Starter
Such a b.s piece of reading. All based on perception and opinion.

lewan is rated as the 3rd best OL while Long was arguably the best player in the draft.

I think Lewan is going to have a very good career in the nfl. Again just my opinion. The whole hot head angle has been exaggerated, imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Such a b.s piece of reading. All based on perception and opinion.

lewan is rated as the 3rd best OL while Long was arguably the best player in the draft.

I think Lewan is going to have a very good career in the nfl. Again just my opinion. The whole hot head angle has been exaggerated, imo.

I doubt it. McGinn is the best in the game when it comes to sources.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Taylor Lewan to be arraigned in Ann Arbor on Monday
Posted by Josh Alper on May 19, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmwyze4otuzogzjzgzmytazzjfhodlintvjyty4mzvi-e1400497549623.jpeg
AP

Tackle Taylor Lewan spent the weekend taking the first steps of his professional career in Nashville at the Titans’ rookie minicamp, but he hasn’t totally cut all ties to his college days.

WDIV reports Lewan will be arraigned in an Ann Arbor, Michigan courtroom on Monday on one count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault and battery related to an altercation with fans of Ohio State after last year’s game between the Buckeyes and Lewan’s Michigan Wolverines. Lewan has said that he wasn’t in a fight and that he was trying to break up a scuffle involving other people, but the hearing will still go on on Monday.

Assuming Lewan can clear up everything back in his college town, he’ll be available to return to the Titans for the rest of the offseason. We got some idea of how the Titans might start using him over the weekend as Lewan saw time at both left and right tackle during minicamp drills. Lewan said there were some “growing pains” involved with playing right tackle after spending his career thus far on the left side, but that he’s open to whatever the Titans need.

“We’ve got some great coaches willing to help me out. I definitely feel more comfortable at left tackle, but like I said when I got drafted, I’ll play wherever,” Lewan said, via the Tennessean.

With Michael Roos returning at left tackle and Michael Oher signed as a free agent for the right side, the Titans have a variety of ways they could go at tackle come the regular season. Lewan could wind up a starter on either side or as a reserve waiting to take over for Roos, all of which are better places to find yourself than on the wrong end of assault charges.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So this arraignment has nothing to do with the charges that he threatened somebody that she would be raped?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So this arraignment has nothing to do with the charges that he threatened somebody that she would be raped?

Nope. That one was brushed under the rug years ago.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Nope. That one was brushed under the rug years ago.
It did come up during this whole draft process, so it wasn't exactly under the rug.... but... ugh if it doesn't result in some sort of trouble for the guy. Even if he had no intention of doing anything, you just don't say things like that.

SO glad we didn't get that slimeball.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
All I know is -- his mom's hot! She was a cougar on the prowl at the draft (even Mrs. HNB remarked "mommy got her girls out")

taylor-lewan-mom-1399598830nk48g.jpg