Taylor Lewan and Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Tavon can be a #1. I don't see WR as a major need but I am not opposed to drafting one either. I'm not opposed to drafting any position except K and P.

I'm in this boat as well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Tavon will never be a #1 by my definition.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I would like to replace Givens -- to me, he has the lowest ceiling out of all our receivers. Yea, it takes receivers a couple years to reach their prime, but there a certain intangibles that a #1 possesses that you can see from day 1. Givens doesn't fight back for the ball, make tough catches when covered, or win jump balls. He's just fast and can make plays when open, a Donnie Avery that has not been hurt. Every week you see Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Andre Johnson have passes thrown their way when they are double, triple covered and not open, yet they often deliver! I'm not saying we have to draft the guy, but he's more of a #1 than Givens, IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What's your definition? Just out of curiosity. Is there a minimum height requirement?
No, it's a guy that you can go to on any down and distance, and he will make a play on the ball for you. He will usually make a bad QB look good, by catching every 50/50 ball, and will make a LOT of out of frame catches. He's also an above average hands guy, and a guy that you can't press effectively. That is not Tavon. That is also NOT a knock on Tavon.

Steve Smith has been doing those things for years, so NO, it's not a size thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to replace Givens -- to me, he has the lowest ceiling out of all our receivers. Yea, it takes receivers a couple years to reach their prime, but there a certain intangibles that a #1 possesses that you can see from day 1. Givens doesn't fight back for the ball, make tough catches when covered, or win jump balls. He's just fast and can make plays when open, a Donnie Avery that has not been hurt. Every week you see Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Andre Johnson have passes thrown their way when they are double, triple covered and not open, yet they often deliver! I'm not saying we have to draft the guy, but he's more of a #1 than Givens, IMO.

Every week? Eh...I think that's a myth. It happens but not THAT often. Although Fitzgerald, Bryant, Green, etc. make catches while covered tightly by a CB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it's a guy that you can go to on any down and distance, and he will make a play on the ball for you. He will usually make a bad QB look good, by catching every 50/50 ball, and will make a LOT of out of frame catches. He's also an above average hands guy, and a guy that you can't press effectively. That is not Tavon. That is also NOT a knock on Tavon.

The bold isn't Tavon. I think the rest of it is...especially the press part. But I guess my standards aren't quite as rigid. My standards are just a WR that can line-up outside and win consistently against coverage. How he wins...that doesn't matter to me.

For example, Marvin Harrison was never the big jump ball guy...he won with route running, agility, speed and amazing field awareness/body control.

But I can understand where you're coming from. I'd love a guy like Mike Evans that just dominates at the catch point and wins jump balls.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The bold isn't Tavon. I think the rest of it is...especially the press part. But I guess my standards aren't quite as rigid. My standards are just a WR that can line-up outside and win consistently against coverage. How he wins...that doesn't matter to me.

For example, Marvin Harrison was never the big jump ball guy...he won with route running, agility, speed and amazing field awareness/body control.

But I can understand where you're coming from. I'd love a guy like Mike Evans that just dominates at the catch point and wins jump balls.
I wonder what kind of QB Stafford would be without C. Johnson. Throwing into double and triple coverage....that is trust.

Tavon's hands at this level are anything but above average. I know they were above average in college, not in the NFL...yet. He struggles at times in press coverage too, IF guys can get their hands on him.

Marvin is one of the smoothest athlete's, in any sport, that I have ever seen with my own eyes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what kind of QB Stafford would be without C. Johnson. Throwing into double and triple coverage....that is trust.

Tavon's hands at this level are anything but above average. I know they were above average in college, not in the NFL...yet. He struggles at times in press coverage too, IF guys can get their hands on him.

Marvin is one of the smoothest athlete's, in any sport, that I have ever seen with my own eyes.

Disagree. Tavon's done quite well against the press. Turned his guy around quite a few times.

Tavon dropped some balls early on but I think that's a focus/rookie issue. I think he'll be fine sooner than later.

Marvin was ridiculously smooth. Agreed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Disagree. Tavon's done quite well against the press. Turned his guy around quite a few times.

Tavon dropped some balls early on but I think that's a focus/rookie issue. I think he'll be fine sooner than later.

Marvin was ridiculously smooth. Agreed.
Only very confident guys press him, plus he's OFF the LOS, so there's a pretty small sample size, but hands on him, he struggles. He's still dropping balls. I love him, and I hope that changes (not the love part), which is why is said, "yet"....Marvin was also VERY fast, and had great hands.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only very confident guys press him, plus he's OFF the LOS, so there's a pretty small sample size, but hands on him, he struggles. He's still dropping balls. I love him, and I hope that changes (not the love part), which is why is said, "yet"....Marvin was also VERY fast, and had great hands.

Getting your hands on him is a dicey proposition though. If you get your hands on most smaller WRs, they're going to have issues but that's what issues the really good ones can cause. They make you whiff and then you're in trouble. I've seen Tavon do that at least 5 different times this year. His quickness and burst cause a lot of problems for CBs trying to jam him.

I haven't seen him drop a pass since week 5. But I might have forgot one that happened since.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm sensing you REALLY want an OT.

You think ??? Yes you & I have had discussions on this many times & we have different desires on who we like with the two first rounders. I do like three of the top five OT's a lot (Matthews/Komandijo/Richardson). I do not care that much for FSU's Cameron Erving or Michigan's Taylor Lewan as others do. I also think Snead will get many calls from everywhere from teams wanting to trade up to get a QB or a OT IMO too. So its going to be interesting.

V3 ...I would prefer a more Swing OT & Right OT than a LEFT OT e.....reason being ? I have think & hope that our future Jake Long replacement in 2017 is already on this Ram team now.....Barksdale ....I know that right now Speed rushers give him problems but I think that he can get better in this area with those 36 inch plus arms. If not then whoever we select this season day one or day two of the draft will most likely still be here then.

I still think the demand in the 2014 draft for OLT's will be intense & overreaching a high probability by many teams. Thus if you do not use that first high round selection for the pick of the lot of OT's then you will miss your chance to get a very good value because like I said above there will be a serious run in the draft for the rest of the good OT's with the panic of overreaching taking place. I suggest the Rams be smart & get your replacement for the talented OT Rodger Saffold early when you can because you will not like what's there after the pickings from the crumbs that will be left ....that sorta what happen in the 2013 draft......you simply have to replace Saffold with a pocket passer like Sam Bradford!

Rams do not have anything close to him being groomed now! Nor do they have the cap $$$ to purchase a stop gap journeyman. I sure would not want a OT Sean Hooey protecting Sam if one of our OT is injured. That's another reason why I think the Rams will keep our starting ORG Harvey Dahl around in 2014 & not release him for that 4 mil in cap space... Harvey can play Right OT if need be and a better fix than any other Ram OL'er right now. Other than Harvey guess you would go with Barrett. None of which is smart. If the Rams were able to get a top OT then the Rams could release Harvey & get that 4 mil back into the cap $ stash.

I will end with this I have heard for yrs that a OT can be found later in the draft by many here....ok when was the last time the Rams drafted a good starting OT in the middle of the draft??? got an example?

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame
You think ??? Yes you & I have had discussions on this many times & we have different desires on who we like with the two first rounders. I do like three of the top five OT's a lot (Matthews/Komandijo/Richardson). I do not care that much for FSU's Cameron Erving or Michigan's Taylor Lewan as others do. I also think Snead will get many calls from everywhere from teams wanting to trade up to get a QB or a OT IMO too. So its going to be interesting.

V3 ...I would prefer a more Swing OT & Right OT than a LEFT OT e.....reason being ? I have think & hope that our future Jake Long replacement in 2017 is already on this Ram team now.....Barksdale ....I know that right now Speed rushers give him problems but I think that he can get better in this area with those 36 inch plus arms. If not then whoever we select this season day one or day two of the draft will most likely still be here then.

I still think the demand in the 2014 draft for OLT's will be intense & overreaching a high probability by many teams. Thus if you do not use that first high round selection for the pick of the lot of OT's then you will miss your chance to get a very good value because like I said above there will be a serious run in the draft for the rest of the good OT's with the panic of overreaching taking place. I suggest the Rams be smart & get your replacement for the talented OT Rodger Saffold early when you can because you will not like what's there after the pickings from the crumbs that will be left ....that sorta what happen in the 2013 draft......you simply have to replace Saffold with a pocket passer like Sam Bradford!

Rams do not have anything close to him being groomed now! Nor do they have the cap $$$ to purchase a stop gap journeyman. I sure would not want a OT Sean Hooey protecting Sam if one of our OT is injured. That's another reason why I think the Rams will keep our starting ORG Harvey Dahl around in 2014 & not release him for that 4 mil in cap space... Harvey can play Right OT if need be and a better fix than any other Ram OL'er right now. Other than Harvey guess you would go with Barrett. None of which is smart. If the Rams were able to get a top OT then the Rams could release Harvey & get that 4 mil back into the cap $ stash.

I will end with this I have heard for yrs that a OT can be found later in the draft by many here....ok when was the last time the Rams drafted a good starting OT in the middle of the draft??? got an example?

Saffold is good. He just can't stay healthy. Also, I'm betting Saffold will be replaced by Barksdale. And if you don't think Long is good enough at LT, then the Rams screwed up another FA signing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Also, I'm betting Saffold will be replaced by Barksdale. And if you don't think Long is good enough at LT, then the Rams screwed up another FA signing.

Looks to me that Barksdale is the starting right OT now so that replacement has already took place V3. As far as Jake long signing & how good it was in my opinion...:rolleyes:

Snead UFA signings of Rams Chris Long :cool:, JL :confused:, William Hayes :cheese:were fine the best bargain was Hayes! The Snead freed UFA's of Finnegan :mad::cray:, Langford :cool:, Jared Cook :meh: , Scott Wells :D & Jake Long...... the best bargain & best for this Ram team was Jake Long by far. Between the two Hayes & Jake Long ....OLT Jake Long was a great purchase UFA by Snead IMO!:bigup:

Slappy967

Starter
What I would like to see our front office do is take the best player available at the time of our picks. Whether its a WR, OT, Safety, DT, LB. whatever will make this team better. No more filing needs when someone better is available.