Tavons First Half Stats from Scrimmage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
@LACHAMP46 I know your comment is half in jest but the reality is maybe next year for Sean.
We are in the middle of a wildcard playoff battle and it takes any QB time to adjust to a system and the players in the system at real time speed.
Foles should only get better and a change to a QB needing to get up to speed would certainly derail any post season chances we have.
A rookie would be a catastrophe and remember that Sean looked quite pedestrian in his last outing even worse than anything Foles has shown this year and that was against much lower competition. Lets get the kid some more practice save his confidence from what would be a destructive experience for both he and the team and let Foles develop over the second half. If Foles throws out a couple real stinkers over the next couple weeks then maybe the brass needs to reevaluate but until then stay the course. The playoffs are our goal

Excellent post.

We all get wrapped up in ourselves sometimes, but the reality is that we are in the middle of the playoff hunt. Whether the subject is Foles, or Austin....or Baily suspended or Longs absence,.... the reality is we are battling and we're going to war with what we brung.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yep that would be me.

Its great stuff for Tavon. Glad you are all enamored with these outworldly numbers.

But to me...its spells doom for the team until we have something else to depend upon. We now have contributions from Todd Gurley and that's fantastic but we'll need more.

You guys can gloat all you want about how wonderful it is to have Tavon.....but I'm looking at a bigger picture.

You lost me. You're saying that we should cut back on what is working because other things aren't working?!

So we should cut Gurley back too until we have a consistent mid and long ball game?

Because I don't see anyone saying TA is the answer to our problems. Being glad he is playing his best ball and a piece of what could be a solid offense isn't saying he should be the focus of the offense. We played him at 5 touches a game and he looked great. We played him at 12 touches and he looked great.

Now, I agree, he shouldn't have to touch the ball 22% of the time, that's an indicator of a serious lack of successful drives, but it's not an indicator that 12 touches is him getting the ball too much.

What the Rams need to do is add to what Gurley and Austin are doing, not reduce what they are doing.

DenverRam

Starter
giphy.gif

…..

Legend
You lost me. You're saying that we should cut back on what is working because other things aren't working?!

So we should cut Gurley back too until we have a consistent mid and long ball game?

Because I don't see anyone saying TA is the answer to our problems. Being glad he is playing his best ball and a piece of what could be a solid offense isn't saying he should be the focus of the offense. We played him at 5 touches a game and he looked great. We played him at 12 touches and he looked great.

Now, I agree, he shouldn't have to touch the ball 22% of the time, that's an indicator of a serious lack of successful drives, but it's not an indicator that 12 touches is him getting the ball too much.

What the Rams need to do is add to what Gurley and Austin are doing, not reduce what they are doing.

Is it working? I guess if you're impressed with our offense then it is. ( see what I did there? I just implied you were pleased with the offense. The same way you implied that I feel we should cut back on whats working, cut back on Gurley, and then at the very end you added Gurley fully into the discussion when I wasn't talking about Gurley at all. Nice job)

Back on topic...
I think when Tavon gets stuffed for another 4 yard loss on yet another failed jet sweep, that's one too many touches. I think when he gets blown up for a 5 yard loss on a WR screen, that's two touches too many. I think when he catches his next 2 yard pass on 3rd and 3, that's 3 touches too many.

I don't know what to tell ya if you don't think we forced the ball to him last game. I don't know what to tell ya if you are impressed with a catch rate of 27 completions on 48 targets. And if my previous post didn't make things clear and left you confused about what I am saying, I really don't know how to help you understand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep asking what this failed TD was, but get no answers. We ARE talking about the ball he had to go full extension on? I think he would have been downed anyway. Unless you're saying he overran the route. Which if he did, okay.

But maybe we saw different plays because the only way I see that going for a TD is if he didn't come back to far in and caught it like a punt and maybe....maybe, had enough time to turn around and turn it up field.

The Vikings player fell down behind him while trying to track the pass. If Tavon catches the ball, there's nobody standing between him and the end-zone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it working? I guess if you're impressed with our offense then it is. ( see what I did there? I just implied you were pleased with the offense. The same way you implied that I feel we should cut back on whats working, cut back on Gurley, and then at the very end you added Gurley fully into the discussion when I wasn't talking about Gurley at all. Nice job)

Back on topic...
I think when Tavon gets stuffed for another 4 yard loss on yet another failed jet sweep, that's one too many touches. I think when he gets blown up for a 5 yard loss on a WR screen, that's two touches too many. I think when he catches his next 2 yard pass on 3rd and 3, that's 3 touches too many.

I don't know what to tell ya if you don't think we forced the ball to him last game. I don't know what to tell ya if you are impressed with a catch rate of 27 completions on 48 targets. And if my previous post didn't make things clear and left you confused about what I am saying, I really don't know how to help you understand.

Yea, I'd love to only get positive, game-changing plays on every down as well. But that isn't football and that isn't reality. Tavon and Gurley have been the only two constants on offense this year. They should be getting touches until the opposition can stop them and force us to do something else.

I have no issues with us forcing the ball to him last game. It (along with Gurley and the defense) almost won us the game.

…..

Legend
Yea, I'd love to only get positive, game-changing plays on every down as well. But that isn't football and that isn't reality. Tavon and Gurley have been the only two constants on offense this year. They should be getting touches until the opposition can stop them and force us to do something else.

I have no issues with us forcing the ball to him last game. It (along with Gurley and the defense) almost won us the game.

Yep.. almost. Take it every time huh?

Ya'll can have your thread back, unfortunately I turned it negative and I didn't intend to.

Hooray for mediocrity I guess. And hooray almost winning.

/Tavon lust

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep.. almost. Take it every time huh?

Ya'll can have your thread back, unfortunately I turned it negative and I didn't intend to.

Hooray for mediocrity I guess. And hooray almost winning.

/Tavon lust

Nope. I won't take it. Which is why I've criticized people including Tavon when it was necessary. But if you watched the Minnesota game, you saw what was and wasn't working. Until we got to the last couple drives, Tavon was working. But if you think 1000 yards and 12 TDs is mediocrity then I hate to see what qualifies as good for you. Because I have a feeling not too many NFL players will measure up to your lofty expectations.

I guess there is Tavon lust. Because most posters here are excited to see him developing and the weapon he's been for this offense this year. I don't know what your issue is here but I hope it gets cleared up so you can enjoy watching the guy play.

Hooray for complaining and belittling in a thread meant to compliment a player having a breakout year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's all of our thread and its not about seeing eye to eye, it is opposing and abstract views that sometimes shed new light. I did start the thread as a compliment to Tavons progress and involvement but am by no means content.
Post away with any view you think pertains.
It is the mature way in which we handle topics bringing contoversey and fire that make this site my favorite place for Ram news.
I actually posted somewhere that TA's Jet Sweep was being contained by the end of the Minn game and had a bit of concern myself.

…..

Legend
Nope. I won't take it. Which is why I've criticized people including Tavon when it was necessary. But if you watched the Minnesota game, you saw what was and wasn't working. Until we got to the last couple drives, Tavon was working. But if you think 1000 yards and 12 TDs is mediocrity then I hate to see what qualifies as good for you. Because I have a feeling not too many NFL players will measure up to your lofty expectations.

I guess there is Tavon lust. Because most posters here are excited to see him developing and the weapon he's been for this offense this year. I don't know what your issue is here but I hope it gets cleared up so you can enjoy watching the guy play.

Hooray for complaining and belittling in a thread meant to compliment a player having a breakout year.

You're adding fluff Jerry. I'm not complaining or belittling anyone. Just making a fair observation about the team as it relates to TA. I'm stoked for the guy.

You cant speak for most posters can you? Because I disagree.....Most posters here are clamoring for anything resembling an offense and most posters also ridiculed the play calling and the failed attempts to force the ball to Tavon. That's my recollection. Most posters don't give a shit where the TD's come from, they just want to see one or two and have the team look good on offense. Above all, most poster just want the RAMS TO DO WELL.....and I'm one of those posters. My comments aren't meant to stir up shit. They're meant to highlight a concern.

You're concerned about my issue, but I don't have one. I'm just saying what everyone else wont. This offense going through Tavon is a bad idea going nowhere fast.

Ya know what's weird....I'm fairly convinced that we're going to wrong direction. So convinced that I'm wondering why I'm the only one talking about it lol

Now, I'm going to get laid then go deer hunting for the weekend. so peace, and GO RAMS!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're adding fluff Jerry. I'm not complaining or belittling anyone. Just making a fair observation about the team as it relates to TA. I'm stoked for the guy.

You cant speak for most posters can you? Because I disagree.....Most posters here are clamoring for anything resembling an offense and most posters also ridiculed the play calling and the failed attempts to force the ball to Tavon. That's my recollection. Most posters don't give a crap where the TD's come from, they just want to see one or two and have the team look good on offense. Above all, most poster just want the RAMS TO DO WELL.....and I'm one of those posters. My comments aren't meant to stir up crap. They're meant to highlight a concern.

You're concerned about my issue, but I don't have one. I'm just saying what everyone else wont. This offense going through Tavon is a bad idea going nowhere fast.

Ya know what's weird....I'm fairly convinced that we're going to wrong direction. So convinced that I'm wondering why I'm the only one talking about it lol

Now, I'm going to get laid then go deer hunting for the weekend. so peace, and GO RAMS!

You're complaining about Austin and belittling his accomplishments this year.

We all want to see more from the offense. But the disconnect here is that you focusing on one of the few cogs that's working in the offense while bemoaning the offense's failure. Of course they're forcing the ball to Austin because him and Gurley are the only guys consistently getting shit done. It's not about any of us wanting the ball to be forced to Austin. It's about us being realistic with the situation we're in. Austin is having a great year. As is Gurley. The other guys are not. The Rams are forcing the ball to Austin and Gurley because they're getting the job done. They're making things happen. They're getting in the end-zone. They're creating positive plays.

You better bet I'd love to have an offense where we had Julio Jones and A.J. Green at WR alongside Austin so we only had to give Austin 5-6 touches a game and let him do his thing when the defense starts sleeping on him. But that's not reality. Reality is that Austin is being given a ton of touches because that's what's working well right now. And there aren't many things working.

My problem is that you're making the stink in this thread celebrating the strides Austin has made and what he has done over the first half of the season. This isn't the fix the offense thread. There are already a million of those. This thread is recognizing Austin for his good play.

None of us want to hear about how the Rams offense sucks so Austin is getting too many touches out of desperation in this thread. Because the reality is that he's doing impressive things with the touches he gets...especially when you consider how much of a burden the Rams have placed on his and Gurley's shoulders this year.

Our offense is run through Gurley and Austin. And that's not out of convenience. It's out of necessity. Blaming Austin for playing well and stepping up when so many of our other offensive players haven't in a thread meant to recognize the kid does not sit well with me. That's my issue.

Enjoy your hunting trip. (y)

RamzFanz

Damnit

Back on topic...

27 completions on 48 targets including long passes he's not built to win?

Dude, his increase to 12 touches were in the run game and he performed at 8.3 YPC. Last three games in the pass game, 4, 4, 4. Last three games rushing, 1, 3, 8.

The Vikings are very good open field tacklers. They performed very well against both Gurley and Tavon.

You don't think they should cut back on Gurley? He gets stuffed and held to minimum gains most of the game. Why aren't those one touch too many? Could it be that explosive players need touches to actually experience the big gains?

Gurley had 109 yards on 24 touches. TA had 81 on 12. Half the touches, but almost 75% of the production. How do you come to the conclusion that TA gets too many touches?

Last edited: