Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
I wish he was used more in the run game mabey 4-5 carries a game. Some of the running lanes I seen with are online this year omg . When Rodger was playing guard. Some wild cat formation would be nice in 2014 Too.

Thoughts?

Alan

Legend
I would hope that your suggestion would be just one of the changes in the O next year. Hard to really comment on this because without SB this wasn't our O.

PhxRam

I wish he was used more in the run game mabey 4-5 carries a game. Some of the running lanes I seen with are online this year omg . When Rodger was playing guard. Some wild cat formation would be nice in 2014 Too.

Thoughts?

Wildcat? No thanks.

That has been played out.

I am still not certain I like the idea of lining him up as a RB though. In order to get him 4-5 carries, you are going to have to run that play 10-12 times a game using him as a decoy half the time to keep the D honest.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wildcat? No thanks.

I am still not certain I like the idea of lining him up as a RB though. In order to get him 4-5 carries, you are going to have to run that play 10-12 times a game using him as a decoy half the time to keep the D honest.
If thats the case throwing to him out of the backfield would work better you would think.

PhxRam

If thats the case throwing to him out of the backfield would work better you would think.

Either way you still need to put him back there on a consistent basis and use him as a decoy half the time to keep defenses from teeing off on him.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam with good insight:
That's a very interesting thought you've put out here. I'm going to have to give it a lot more thought but I'll probably end up modifying my view on this. I don't think you're going to have to run the same play 10-12 times but you will have to probably have two or three options run off the same formation. This is getting into the area of Schotty's play design where I'm not sure he's up to the challenge. I thought his lack of imagination in that area was glaring. How can you not come up with lots of different plays designed to take advantage of Tavon's skill set?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Wildcat? No thanks.

What's wrong with that?

xander47

Rookie
Has anyone seen the way the Eagles use DeSean Jackson? I would love for the Rams to fake handoffs to Tavon both as a RB and as a WR running a reverse only to pass to him right afterward, getting him in space or looking at the exact opposite side of the field where Quick/Kendricks/Cooks will have one-on-ones.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think (hope) as our coaching staff gets more familiar with tavon they incorporate more of these plays

iced

Has anyone seen the way the Eagles use DeSean Jackson? I would love for the Rams to fake handoffs to Tavon both as a RB and as a WR running a reverse only to pass to him right afterward, getting him in space or looking at the exact opposite side of the field where Quick/Kendricks/Cooks will have one-on-ones.

they actually have done it... i remember watching the eagles motion and fake to d.jax only to hit mccoy for a walk in td from the flat..

knew i saw that play before...we actually did it waaayyyyyy earlier in the season - i can't remember which game or even who was the qb though

xander47

Rookie
they actually have done it... i remember watching the eagles motion and fake to d.jax only to hit mccoy for a walk in td from the flat..

knew i saw that play before...we actually did it waaayyyyyy earlier in the season - i can't remember which game or even who was the qb though

Awww man! I don't remember this. Even so, I'd like to see it as a part of the offense, where it's run regularly rather than just a single play. Like the Eagles run it regularly, adding wrinkles to it, so it's more like find the open receiver, pick your poison kind of thing. Rather than just a "gimmick."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let's face it; creative and Tavon never were used in the same sentence in 2013. And... That's disappointing!

Me; sure... Mix in some runs or screens.

Something, anything, to maximize the matchup nightmare he creates.

Alan

Legend
Username with a query:
What's wrong with that?
Increased injury probabilities for the little guy I'd think. It's bad enough he he's doing PR and KRs.

At least that's how I look at it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Increased injury probabilities for the little guy I'd think. It's bad enough he he's doing PR and KRs.

Ah. That's like owning a classic car and never taking it out of the garage.

Tavon has been healthy in his career. Use him.

Don't get me wrong; don't use him dangerously.... But he's a football player. He knows how to take a hit.

Alan

Legend
I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying put limits on it. Remember how they would limit Bruce to X amount of plays? I don't think he minded sitting in the garage occasionally.

Think pitch count.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Ah. That's like owning a classic car and never taking it out of the garage.

Tavon has been healthy in his career. Use him.

Don't get me wrong; don't use him dangerously.... But he's a football player. He knows how to take a hit.

We should use him @ FB. :heh:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I get the impression that many fans forget that TA was just a rookie,,, either that or their expectations for him were set unreasonably high for a rookie WR.

I think the coaching staff was giving him as much as he could handle at this early point in his development / career. He'll do more as his experience grows.

Alan

Legend
Selassie I adding:
I get the impression that many fans forget that TA was just a rookie,,, either that or their expectations for him were set unreasonably high for a rookie WR.

I think the coaching staff was giving him as much as he could handle at this early point in his development / career. He'll do more as his experience grows.
I agree with all of that but my problem, among others, is that some of the plays they have given him didn't seem to fit his talents. It's not my expectations for TA that are too high, it's that my expectations of our OC seem to have been too high.

Ram_of_Old

Yes, Tavon could be even more of a threat. He is scaring DC around the league. Getting him more involved can only be a good thing.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Ok, that's a rational line of thinking. However, (like I said after the draft) if they really think that way they should never have drafted him.

There is no reason to draft him in the 1st round, even TRADE UP if you're never going to use him properly.