Tavon Austin vs Deandre Hopkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Let's wait one more year until we condemn the pick as wasted. He hasn't had an opportunity to really display what he can do because our QB play, and offense in general, has been horrifically bad.

Goff will open things up for TA.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's wait one more year until we condemn the pick as wasted. He hasn't had an opportunity to really display what he can do because our QB play, and offense in general, has been horrifically bad.

Goff will open things up for TA.
Oh I'm not saying it was wasted. Personally I would pick Tavon all over again IF we had a decent QB and system put in place for him. Because Tavon has Steve Smith/Antonio Brown type of ability in him. And you can't teach that. But I love Nukes game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Oh I'm not saying it was wasted. Personally I would pick Tavon all over again IF we had a decent QB and system put in place for him. Because Tavon has Steve Smith/Antonio Brown type of ability in him. And you can't teach that. But I love Nukes game.

I feel you. I loved Nukes game coming out if college and thought we should have picked him. But, you know, we roll with out 53. And prey that they find a way to put it together.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I really didn't want them to trade up for Austin, but I'm not crying over spilled milk either.

I don't know if there could be a more perfect compliment to Gurley for this team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He would have been wasted considering the QB's we've had. Happy to have Tavon with us.
This
Lets see T-Austin 11 play in a real offense with a real QB before adding him to the Donnie Avery/Desean Jackson or Brian Quick/Alshon Jeffrey pile

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
At this point you would have to be a delusional homer to pick Austin over Hopkins.... You have to pick Hopkins and it's not even close.

In the future Tavon could be a stud, but Hopkins has already proven to be a stud and has done it with terrible/inconsistent QB play (what someone might argue has been holding Tavon back)

Nuk (Hopkins) is right in the mix to be a top 5 WR in the league next year, while Tavon is hoping to crack into being a consistent and reliable weapon

Both could be great, but it would be stupid to not take Hopkins at this point

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Overall TD's are a wash. But you can't discount Hopkins 111 catches and 1500 yards. I'm sure plenty of those moved the chains.

But before I decide Hopkins woulda been the better choice, I'd like to see what Groh and Boras can do with Tavon. It was obvious Schottenheimer was clueless on how to use him. Plus, Clemens/Hill/Foles/Keenum are not exactly top quarterbacks.

TA is the more explosive player. Might be the most explosive in the league. That keeps defenses honest on run plays and gives Gurley that half second advantage when defenses have to respect Tavon's running ability.

It seemed to me Tavon was just as hard to bring down as Gurley was, but in a different way. Gurley's strong and can break tackles. Tavon's so quick he runs out of the tackler's grasp. I still remember when a LB looked like he was in position to make a tackle for loss or no gain. He reached out with both hands to grab him and Tavon put it in warp speed and just ran out the grasp. The guy tried to grab him and came up with air. :eek: