Tavon Austin Top's Brooks' "Most Over Rated" List

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000159382/article/tavon-austin-star-lotulelei-top-nfl-drafts-overrated-prospects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... -prospects</a>

Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects

By Bucky Brooks
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: April 12, 2013 at 01:02 p.m.

I've always wondered how different the NFL draft would be if it were conducted immediately after the regular season. Evaluators would make draft decisions based solely on grades compiled from film study, avoiding the influence of spectacular workouts conducted in shorts and T-shirts. Now, I'm not suggesting that workouts aren't important, but I do believe scouts' evaluations are frequently clouded by impressive displays of athleticism in the months leading up to the draft.

I've had some time to reflect on the 2013 NFL Draft's fastest risers since the end of the college season.

Here are five guys I believe are overrated at this point in the process:

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
The hottest prospect in this draft class has been on a meteoric climb up the charts since putting on a spectacular show at the NFL Scouting Combine. Austin's 4.34-second speed (in the 40-yard dash) and remarkable change-of-direction quickness (4.01-second short shuttle) complemented an impressive résumé tape that showcased his versatility as a receiver/running back/returner at West Virginia. This combination of skills, playmaking ability and explosiveness has sparked comparisons to Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson from coaches and scouts around the league.

Now, I definitely see the similarities in playing styles, but neither Harvin nor Jackson has made a significant impact as a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. (Harvin has never posted a 1,000-yard season, while Jackson has surpassed that mark just twice in five years.) And there haven't been many 5-foot-8, 174-pound receivers who have taken the league by storm. That's why I can't fully endorse Austin's rise as a potential top-10 pick, even with his ability to score from anywhere on the field. The NFL remains a big man's game, and it's hard for a diminutive pass catcher to function as a legitimate No. 1 receiver. I believe Austin can be an explosive complementary player, but you don't take role players early in the draft.

2) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
I know Lotulelei's inclusion on this list will raise eyebrows, based on dominant flashes throughout his tenure at Utah. The 6-foot-3, 311-pound defensive lineman shows the capacity to own the point of attack when focused and engaged. He finished 2012 with five sacks and 11 tackles for loss, putting together some impressive stretches on tape. Lotulelei pummeled USC in a nationally televised contest while facing one of the better offensive centers in college football (Khaled Holmes). He primarily won with strength and power, though he also displayed enough agility to win with finesse on the interior.

Unfortunately, I didn't see Lotulelei play with the same intensity and passion in other tapes I watched. He seemingly cruised through most of the Utes' games, showing just occasional flashes of supremacy. This is more disconcerting than his brief heart issue, which has since been cleared. I understand the difficulty of playing with tremendous effort as a big man, but I believe a prospect pegged for No. 1 consideration should give me more on tape. I'm also a little concerned that Lotulelei didn't play football in 2009 because he reportedly lost his passion for the game. Given the challenges and expectations associated with entering the NFL as a top pick, I would worry about his capacity to handle the pressure in key moments. More importantly, I would wonder about his willingness to grind it out in tough times. That's not enough to drop Lotulelei's overall grade, but it makes it tough for me to fully jump on board when it comes to his candidacy as the potential top pick of the draft.

3) Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
No quarterback has enjoyed a bigger rise up the charts than Nassib since the end of the college season. The Syracuse standout was considered a mid-to-late-round selection for most of the fall before shooting toward the front of the class based on a potential tie-in with the Buffalo Bills' new head coach: Doug Marrone, Nassib's coach in college. When I look at Nassib's game on tape, I see that he's a quick-rhythm passer with a great feel for the short and intermediate passing game. He's comfortable working from the shotgun, where he can catch, rock and throw following a quick reset or one-step drop. Nassib had a thorough understanding of the Orange's no-huddle offense; this mastery made it easy for him to pick apart defenses with pinpoint throws following proper pre- and post-snap reads.

Those traits are, of course, respected by evaluators, but they are not enough to support his consideration as a top pick. Nassib simply lacks the arm strength to make pro throws consistently; defensive backs will squat on receivers once they've determined he can't make deep throws. Not only will this condense the field for the offense, it'll restrict the catalog of plays an offensive coordinator can feature in the game plan. Furthermore, it is hard for a team to make a deep postseason run with a game manager rather than a playmaker at quarterback. In my mind, Nassib falls into the former category, which makes it tough for me to view him as a legitimate first-round prospect.

4) John Cyprien, S, Florida International
The star of Senior Bowl practices has emerged as one of the top prospects in the draft after displaying a menacing game built on toughness and physicality. In Mobile, Ala., Cyprien repeatedly punished receivers between the hashes and laid big hits on runners in the hole. That aggressiveness earned Cyprien high marks from coaches and scouts looking for an enforcer in the middle of the field. When I popped in tape of Cyprien at FIU, I saw the same tenacity and reckless abandon on display. He flashed the athleticism and range to get over the top on vertical routes, nabbing four interceptions in 2012.

I certainly appreciate Cyprien's hard-hitting ways and competitiveness, as he plays with passion and is a tone-setter in the back end. But a closer look at the tape reveals an overaggressive defender susceptible to giving up big gains in the passing game. Cyprien reacts strongly to play-action in the backfield, and opponents have been able to throw balls over his head in zone coverage. Moreover, he displayed late reactions and instincts in the deep middle, sparking questions about his ability to thrive as a defender in a pass-first league.

Additionally, Cyprien's toughness and physicality might work against him as a pro. The league has implemented strict rules against launching yourself at and hitting defenseless receivers; Cyprien will have to change key parts of his game to avoid penalties and fines. It's possible that he'll make that adjustment without incident, but the transition must be factored into his evaluation as a potential first-round selection. Given the list of concerns accompanying his game, I believe he should come off the board at some point on Day 2.

5) Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
The former Bruin has been ascending since his strong performance at the Senior Bowl. Evaluators are intrigued by his first-step quickness and relentless motor, and he's been projected as a Justin Tuck-like pass rusher on a four-man front. Factoring in Jones' versatility (he spent 2012 playing multiple positions along the front line) and production (6.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss last season), it's easy to understand why defensive coordinators have fallen in love with him during the pre-draft process.

However, I'm not as excited about Jones' game as some of my colleagues are. I believe his production was slightly inflated, thanks to a talented supporting cast (namely, Anthony Barr); also, his size (6-foot-4, 283 pounds) will make it hard for him to fill a role as a utility player along the line. On tape, Jones doesn't strike me as a big player; he gets rag-dolled a bit by physical blockers on the interior. Additionally, I don't believe he has the potential to develop into a double-digit sack artist as a pro. He has always benefitted from playing alongside talented defenders (before Barr, there was Brian Price and Akeem Ayers), but he's never accounted for significant sack production on his own accord. With Jones' size and tweener status making it tough to project a full-time role for him in the NFL, it's difficult for me to give him a Round 1 grade at this point.

FIVE UNDERRATED PROSPECTS

In contrast to the five overhyped guys above, the following five prospects merit more attention:

1) Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State: A talented cover corner with the size and speed to develop into a Johnathan Joseph-like playmaker.

2) EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State: A big, athletic quarterback with impressive physical tools. I compared Manuel to Josh Freeman back in January, though in the right offense, he could develop into a poor man's Daunte Culpepper.

3) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: If not for a slower-than-anticipated 40-yard dash (4.57 seconds), Hopkins would be considered the most complete receiver in the draft. He has all of the tools to be special at the next level as an explosive No. 1 option.

4) Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State: Though Bell has rarely been mentioned as one of the top backs in the 2013 class, RB coaches around the league repeatedly have told me that he could be a star in a zone-based system.

5) Duke Williams, S, Nevada: Williams has flown under the radar despite an impressive overall game that should make him an immediate-impact player at the next level. Few safeties can rival his ability to thrive as both a run defender and cover man in the back end.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bucky Brooks says won't be a top 10 pick. Which I tend to agree.

But, he's still going to be a 1st rounder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, if he doesn't pan out then I guess I'll have to say Bucky told me so. :sly:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Oh, Bucky Brooks. The same guy who keeps telling everyone that Geno Smith is Sam Bradford. :shifty:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Austin is a threat to take it to paydirt every time he touches the ball. I dont think Brooks would dispute that and IMO we need a player like that. We have some bigger bodied pass catchers with Cook, BQ, and Kendricks. Austin would complement them nicely.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
libertadrocks said:
Austin is a threat to take it to paydirt every time he touches the ball. I dont think Brooks would dispute that and IMO we need a player like that. We have some bigger bodied pass catchers with Cook, BQ, and Kendricks. Austin would complement them nicely.

Agree 100%

duckhunter

Starter
I'll add a little flavor.

Consider the source. I've lost a lot of faith in the NFL site last year and this year, Bucky Brooks and the other white dude. Something ain't right there. I don't know who writes the reports but I question those guys more and more.

As to this report on Austin, the issue in my mind is not the return stuff which is gravy, the slot stuff which is pertinent but can he produce on the outside at a high level using current benchmark standards. If he can, he's a 1st rounder-simple as that. Now some say the importance of the slot position is rising parabolically and there's some truth to that. They use that #1 receiver moniker as if it's the holy grail too much. It's a team sport for crying out loud. A flanker can be #1 and a split end can be #1 and in NE some would say a TE is #1 but not a slot guy. He NEVER addresses if Austin can produce on the outside which to me is the key issue. So old Bucky boy tiptoes around the tulips.

One of the most significant things lately is does the guy fit your system. Additionally are you looking for balance between red zone threats and route runners and deep speed. Just a lot of variables in making the selection for different teams.

Nothing against you playmaker but the NFL site and their choirboys are in my binoculars. That is until naptime.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Username said:
Oh, Bucky Brooks. The same guy who keeps telling everyone that Geno Smith is Sam Bradford. :shifty:
If any qb this year is like Sam, I would have to say Barkley because of the caution he takes in his throws and how he is huge on ball placement.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:

What? Based on what? How they play? Or what will happen to them?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
BuiltRamTough said:
How tall is Steve Smith from Carolina?

I saw someone do a breakdown between the two and Smith is taller, jumps higher and is a lot stronger. Tavon Austin is no Steve Smith. Tavon Austin is a slot receiver. A very good slot receiver. But a slot receiver none the less.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
OnceARam said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I saw someone do a breakdown between the two and Smith is taller, jumps higher and is a lot stronger. Tavon Austin is no Steve Smith. Tavon Austin is a slot receiver. A very good slot receiver. But a slot receiver none the less.
My point is at 5'8 he could dominate in the nfl

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
bluecoconuts said:
Username said:

I have no clue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
bluecoconuts said:
Username said:

I have no clue.
I think they both have strikingly similar eHarmony profiles.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
BuiltRamTough said:
OnceARam said:
BuiltRamTough said:

My point is at 5'8 he could dominate in the nfl

Steve Smith is 5' 9",,, but apparently, since he wasn't drafted until the 3rd round, he too is NOT first round talent. :lmao:

The extra inch (if there really is one), and the couple inch measured diff on the vertical jump clearly has allowed him to sky over defenders throughout his NFL career. We've all seen that for years ,,, right :loco:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not a fan of Bucky Brooks at all. But, I believe that Tavon Austin is overrated by some, too.

Sure, he's a special player. But IMO, a great deal of his success comes simply via the way his was used at West Virginia. They typically spread the field with 4-5 targets and moved him around creating lots of favorable match ups. That type of offense maximized his talents and allowed him to stay on the field. Otherwise, he's just another rotational specialty guy, IMO.

He'll go in the 1st round, but I really prefer WRs that don't have to be moved around so much to be significant match up problems for defenses.

Especially, when OCs can scheme most good WRs to be match up problems. They may not be as quick or fast as Austin, but do they really have to be??

jap

Legend
OnceARam said:
BuiltRamTough said:

You know, these attributes are not cast in stone. Most NFL players, at least the better ones, tend to upgrade their strength with their off-season workouts. Chris Givens has already impressed others (e.g., Tony Softli) with his more buff body, and there is no reason to believe that a smaller player like Tavon would not see it is in his best interest to maximize his strength as much as possible without compromising his speed/quickness (which is what NFL strength & conditioning trainers would seek to do).