Tavon Austin To Eagles, Maclin On The Trade Block

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

I heard some interesting discussion on yesterday's "Path to the Draft" on the NFL Network. Daniel Jeremiah (former NFL Scout) and Brian Baldinger were discussing the draft options for the Philadelphia Eagles at #4. The first name they brought up was Tavon Austin with the #4 overall pick.

Now everyone knows my feelings on Austin. Especially when it comes to the Rams. It just doesn't fit. The Rams run a standard, pro style offense with a long time NFL Head Coach and Offensive Play Caller. Where as Chip Kelly was the Head Coach at Oregon and this is his first NFL gig. He wants to bring in his college spread offense and therefore a player like Austin could be used like a De'Anthony Thomas at Oregon in that offense in Philadelphia.

They also were discussing Jeremy Maclin could be traded due to him being in the last year of his rookie deal and the Eagles being cap strapped next year. With having Jason Avant and Desean Jackson locked up in newer contracts, Maclin could indeed be on the trading block. When asked if Maclin was being shopped, Kelly said about a month ago that "no, we are not actively shopping him"

Obviously the majority of us Rams fans would love to see the Rams go out and trade for Maclin. Not only would us local guys love it because he is from St.Louis (Kirkwood) and went to the University of Missouri, but he is a good receiver.

So what does everyone think of the Maclin trade possibility and what would it take to get him?

I think it would take a mid round pick, maybe a 4th round pick. Maybe a 3rd and a 6th.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Playmaker said:
I heard some interesting discussion on yesterday's "Path to the Draft" on the NFL Network. Daniel Jeremiah (former NFL Scout) and Brian Baldinger were discussing the draft options for the Philadelphia Eagles at #4. The first name they brought up was Tavon Austin with the #4 overall pick.

Now everyone knows my feelings on Austin. Especially when it comes to the Rams. It just doesn't fit. The Rams run a standard, pro style offense with a long time NFL Head Coach and Offensive Play Caller. Where as Chip Kelly was the Head Coach at Oregon and this is his first NFL gig. He wants to bring in his college spread offense and therefore a player like Austin could be used like a De'Anthony Thomas at Oregon in that offense in Philadelphia.

They also were discussing Jeremy Maclin could be traded due to him being in the last year of his rookie deal and the Eagles being cap strapped next year. With having Jason Avant and Desean Jackson locked up in newer contracts, Maclin could indeed be on the trading block. When asked if Maclin was being shopped, Kelly said about a month ago that "no, we are not actively shopping him"

Obviously the majority of us Rams fans would love to see the Rams go out and trade for Maclin. Not only would us local guys love it because he is from St.Louis (Kirkwood) and went to the University of Missouri, but he is a good receiver.

So what does everyone think of the Maclin trade possibility and what would it take to get him?

I think it would take a mid round pick, maybe a 4th round pick. Maybe a 3rd and a 6th.

Nope ,we can use the pick for someone we won't lose in a year in FA cuz he wanted too much money.
Sign and trade only so we KNOW NOW what he'd cost.

duckhunter

Starter
A sign and trade is the way to go for sure but would take a few manhours to get her done and maybe throw a monkey wrench into cap management. 3rd and 6 seems cheap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure about Maclin - not really a fan. But I agree that Tavon would make sense if Chip tries to use the same offense he did in Eugene. That was one fun offense to watch. I was able to watch almost every Ducks game over the past few years. It'll be interesting to see if it translates or if he tweaks it for the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless it's for a 4th or 5th, I don't want Maclin. He's soft.

And I thought Austin wasn't a first round player...now he's a top 5 player? ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:

Crazy. I can't see Austin going that high. No way.

Yeah, I'm unsure about Maclin. He's not yet 25... But, he's never broke 1000yds... And to your point always banged up.

Then again; he's never had an effective passer throwing to him.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Maclin's a really good receiver but i dont think we would pay him the money hes going to want.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thordaddy said:
Playmaker said:

Nope ,we can use the pick for someone we won't lose in a year in FA cuz he wanted too much money.
Sign and trade only so we KNOW NOW what he'd cost.
I agree, since we're building for the long haul, I'd rather the team invest in players who will be here a while.

I think using that pick on a tackle is starting to become a real possibility given how irritable Saffold is right now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Playmaker, we ALL get it, you don't like Austin. It's OK, man.

NFL Path to the Draft has Austin possibly going to every damn team in the first round.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Austin ,,, at #4,,, in the 1st fucking round ???

How could this be :hehe:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:

Yeah, I'm unsure about Maclin. He's not yet 25... But, he's never broke 1000yds... And to your point always banged up.

Jeremy is a stud. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymaclin/80429/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymaclin/80429/profile</a>

If he's traded for a 4th, I'd do that trade all day.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:

Jeremy is a stud. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymaclin/80429/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymaclin/80429/profile</a>

Even if the same thing happens as did with Lloyd?

Angry Ram

Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:

Brandon Lloyd is a journeyman. He's only good in the right situation, Josh McDaniels' offense. Jeremy Maclin > Brandon friggin Lloyd.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:

Brandon Lloyd is a journeyman. He's only good in the right situation, Josh McDaniels' offense. Jeremy Maclin > Brandon friggin Lloyd.

I mean if Jeremy friggin Maclin leaves via FA after one con sarned year. :cool:
Philly wouldn't trade him fer a 4th unless he was going to be uber expensive after next yr.
I ug ree Maclins better but ifn he's gone after next year or we have to fight for him financially ,I'd rather look for someone like who we got with a 4th LAST year . Chris Givens. :tooth:

Angry Ram

Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:

I mean if Jeremy friggin Maclin leaves via FA after one con sarned year. :cool:
Philly wouldn't trade him fer a 4th unless he was going to be uber expensive after next yr.
I ug ree Maclins better but ifn he's gone after next year or we have to fight for him financially ,I'd rather look for someone like who we got with a 4th LAST year . Chris Givens. :tooth:

I wouldn't think that would happen, namely b/c Brandon Lloyd only a system guy, and Billy Devenay traded for him, not Les Snead. He didn't fit. Obviously if Jeremy Maclin gets traded @ 25 he's probably gonna be here a while.