Tavon Austin scores 7 and Patterson 10 in Wonderlic....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
<a class="postlink" href="http://fansided.com/2013/04/18/tavon-austin-wonderlic-score-west-virginia-receiver-reportedly-scores-a-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fansided.com/2013/04/18/tavon-au ... cores-a-7/</a>

West Virginia Mountaineers star wide receiver Tavon Austin is consistently rated as the No. 1 receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft class. Teams and scouts are falling in love with Austin as a prospect because of his incredible quickness. There are some well-respected draft analysts that call Austin the quickest player they have ever evaluated.

Austin has the skill set to succeed in the NFL and looks to be a dynamic playmaker for whatever team makes him their selections.

Up until now, there have not been many concerns surrounding Austin as a prospect, but in a report from Bob McGinn in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, it is being reported that Austin received an awful score of 7 on the Wonderlic test.

That’s not ideal for a NFL player at any position.

However, for some reason, it looks like scouts aren’t worried about Austin’s ability to pick up an offense because of his willingness to stick his nose in a playbook and study.

“He’s not a quick study and it will take him a little time,” one personnel director told McGinn in his report. “He will work at it. He cares greatly about it.”

Austin didn’t perform poorly in interviews, so teams feel a lot more comfortable taking what could be a “mental risk.” He’s a hard worker that loves the game of football and everyone feels comfortable knowing that he will work his hardest to live up to his potential.

We will find out for sure if his low Wonderlic score will hurt his draft stock next week. We wouldn’t expect it to do any damage.

iced

he appears to be more 'football smart' then 'book smart' anyway.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I's knot kare how he reed rite or sypher I just wan him to give the Rams som tds.

Total non issue. He knows how to play football, seems like a good honest kid and he works hard and wants to get better.
That's all we need to know.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson has plenty of talent and question marks

BOB MCGINN'S DRAFT SERIES: RECEIVERS, TIGHT ENDS
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/tennessees-patterson-with-plenty-of-talent-and-question-marks-rt9i5uj-203524771.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jsonline.com/sports/tennesse ... 24771.html</a>

tennessee41713.jpg

Green Bay - Good luck to the National Football League coaching staff and quarterback that expect Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson to play well from scrimmage as a rookie.

In fact, many of the red flags that portend B-U-S-T will accompany Patterson when he's brought to the Radio City Music Hall stage April 25 after his name is called in the first round of the draft.

Patterson, a strapping 6 feet 2 inches and 217 pounds, is the most dynamic big man in the draft - at least when he has the ball under his arm. West Virginia's Tavon Austin (5-8 ½, 173), the other leading wide receiver, is the most electrifying little man.

Each year, the game on offense is being called more at the line. In turn, defensive coordinators live and die on their ability to confuse passers and receivers.

The last-second adjustments have placed additional burden on wide receiver, a position that wasn't always associated with mental acuity.

"When you look at the skill positions, the receivers usually take the longest to acclimate," said Howie Roseman, general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles. "Because they're not seeing a lot of press coverage in college football. Then they've got to pick up offenses that sometimes are more complex than they're used to in college."

C.O. Brocato of the Tennessee Titans, the grand old man of NFL scouting, said IQ is a vital part of the wide-receiver equation.

"They say it's not but I think it is," Brocato said. "They say just put a guy out there with speed and let him go. Where is he going to go? If he can't learn, how is he going to play?"

Therein lies the rub, particularly with Patterson. In the last two weeks, scouts from 10 teams expressed varying degrees of reservation whether he'll be up to the coming challenge.

"Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man said. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."

[hil]According to several teams, Patterson wasn't impressive during interviews at the combine. He also scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, which caused more consternation.[/hil]

"You're not expecting receivers to be in the 30s," an AFC personnel director said. "But you've got to have some type of intelligence to pick up the system.

"Toward the end of the year, they started to go away from running Patterson down the field on routes and gave him the ball on reverses and screens, even as a halfback at times. That starts to put a question mark in your head. Why?

"Well, there's reasons, and it's just not being as proficient with his route-running and not having the ability to make adjustments during the game."

[hil]Austin's test score was even lower at 7[/hil], but the majority of scouts expect him to learn a playbook without a major hitch.

"He's not a quick study and it will take him a little time," another personnel director said. "He will work at it. He cares greatly about it."

[hil]Justin Hunter, Patterson's teammate, scored just 12,[/hil] but scouts consider him less of a risk mentally.

Patterson's journey to this point was unconventional, to say the least.

After spending time at two junior colleges and playing the 2010 and '11 seasons at Hutchinson (Kan.) College, Patterson was admitted to Tennessee in July. Six months later, he was declaring for the draft a year early.

It's difficult to find JUCO wide receivers that spent just one season at a major college before entering the draft. One was Robert Ferguson, a junior-college player who spent six months at Texas A&M before being drafted in the second round by the Green Bay Packers in 2001.

As a rookie, Ferguson had no idea what it took to be a pro and was inactive for 17 of 18 games. In nine seasons, he caught 151 passes.

Of the Packers' six No. 1 wideouts in their West Coast era (Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Javon Walker and Greg Jennings), the only one to flourish as a rookie was Jennings.

Sharpe dropped eight passes and didn't score a touchdown until Game 14. Brooks had several key drops and lost confidence. Freeman made eight receptions, and Driver made three. Walker kept blowing assignments and dropped nine.

"There's a huge correlation between experience playing the position in college and success in the NFL," one scout said. "Intelligence and work ethic are probably the two most important qualities because it's extremely tough."

Over the past decade, 10 wide receivers that declared at least a year early and were drafted in the first two rounds can be categorized as busts.

With their Wonderlic scores, they are Jon Baldwin (14), Darrius Heyward-Bey (14), Devin Thomas (23), Malcolm Kelly (22), James Hardy (14), Dwayne Jarrett (14), Chad Jackson (15), Troy Williamson (21), Reggie Williams (17) and Charles Rogers (10).

Meanwhile, intelligence is deemed a plus for Keenan Allen (19) and Robert Woods (23), the next-best receivers behind Patterson and Austin.

"Allen and Woods just know how to play," an NFC personnel director said. "You throw them in, they're going to run the right route, get open and catch the ball.

"You can run fast 40s and be this and that, but if you don't know how to play it just kind of goes out the window."

The Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel people to list their top five wide receivers and top four tight ends. At wide receiver, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

Patterson (seven firsts) led with 62 points, followed by Austin, 60 (six firsts); Allen, 40 (one first); Woods, 25; DeAndre Hopkins, 24 (one first); Hunter, 16; Terrance Williams, five; and Stedman Bailey and Quinton Patton, each four.

At tight end, Tyler Eifert led the way with 63 points (15 firsts), followed by Zach Ertz, 40 (one first); Gavin Escobar, 22; Travis Kelce, 14; Vance McDonald and Jordan Reed, eight; Nick Kasa and Mychal Rivera, two; and Chris Gragg, one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic for NFL players. Doesn't measure football IQ or work ethic. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't AJ Green score very poorly on the Wonderlic? And I believe Patrick Peterson only scored like a 9 on it? Hell, IIRC, Morris Claiborne got a 4 and Frank Gore got a 6. There's no correlation to success in the NFL and success on the Wonderlic test. As I said, doesn't matter for me for either player.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic for NFL players. Doesn't measure football IQ or work ethic. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't AJ Green score very poorly on the Wonderlic? And I believe Patrick Peterson only scored like a 9 on it? Hell, IIRC, Morris Claiborne got a 4 and Frank Gore got a 6. There's no correlation to success in the NFL and success on the Wonderlic test. As I said, doesn't matter for me for either player.

I think it matters only when the player has a questionable work ethic(in terms of studying). Thats why this hurts Patterson more than anyone else. Scouts already questioned his commitment to learning the NFL game. Now that lack of commitment is tied to a lack of brain power.

No brain power + No will power = bust

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see how so-called book intelligence can affect a playmaker in the NFL, what you don't want is a WR running the wrong route on a 3rd and 10 on the 50yd line with 30 seconds left on the clock, I guess you've got to evaluate how much a player 'wants' it. If their work ethic & their book IQ isn't hitting the mark then it's just something to investigate further - it may be that these guys need different ways of learning the playbook.

There have been plenty of players who could have made it big, but after a season on a good pay check, they get a little lazy - I'm not saying either of these guys will, but I guess it's always going to be at the backs of scouts / teams minds.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The Dude said:
Meanwhile, intelligence is deemed a plus for Keenan Allen (19) and Robert Woods (23), the next-best receivers behind Patterson and Austin.

"Allen and Woods just know how to play," an NFC personnel director said. "You throw them in, they're going to run the right route, get open and catch the ball.

[hil]"You can run fast 40s and be this and that, but if you don't know how to play it just kind of goes out the window."[/hil]

This is what I've been saying about Woods and is the reason he's my #1 choice WR in this year's draft - he's a football player and could fit right in along side Givens and Quick...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't mind defensive players scoring poorly on this test,,, in fact, I almost prefer it in some cases .

It would be a red flag for me if an offensive player scored poorly though.

These scores listed on these WRs are very poor. Hard to believe these guys were able to pass any college level class with these scores.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
Agreed, they don't mean shit, they, to use a pun, don't translate to being a good player.

Playmaker

iced said:
he appears to be more 'football smart' then 'book smart' anyway.

Isn't that what they said about Mardy Gilyard?

Bottom line, I don't care near as much about a low Wonderlic score as I do the fact that he is 5'8, weighs 175 lbs, has short T-Rex arms (30 inches) and has a terrible vertical (32 inches)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
I don't mind defensive players scoring poorly on this test,,, in fact, I almost prefer it in some cases .

It would be a red flag for me if an offensive player scored poorly though.

These scores listed on these WRs are very poor. Hard to believe these guys were able to pass any college level class with these scores.

They probably had "tutors" who helped them. And by help of course I mean did all the work.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dan Marino wonderlic score = 15
Ryan Fitzpatrick wonderlic score = 48

Gimme Fitzpatrick all day everyday over Marino. He's cereeeeeebral.

Psycho_X

Legend
The Dude said:
Dan Marino wonderlic score = 15
Ryan Fitzpatrick wonderlic score = 48

Gimme Fitzpatrick all day everyday over Marino. He's cereeeeeebral.

After hearing him talk over the years nothing about Marino's score surprises me.

But 7 is a whole new level of stupid. That's Jamarcus Russell stupid. It's worth considering when investing a first rounder in a player I'd think. But obviously what he retains when being talked to by a coach and how he plays is what will get him drafted and I'm sure the coaches have done their diligence when talking with Austin.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic for NFL players. Doesn't measure football IQ or work ethic. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't AJ Green score very poorly on the Wonderlic? And I believe Patrick Peterson only scored like a 9 on it? Hell, IIRC, [hil]Morris Claiborne got a 4[/hil] and Frank Gore got a 6. There's no correlation to success in the NFL and success on the Wonderlic test. As I said, doesn't matter for me for either player.

Rather unfair to hi-light Claiborne's Wonderlic test results, he's got a reading learning difficulty, so it's a test which he would NEVER have gotten a high score for. He just a different learner, to the traditional book / written exam paper type of student, he's got a reading disability (I'm not sure if it's dyslexia or dyspraxia) it's why NFL teams are investing in Apps for tablets which help learning disabled / disadvantaged sportsmen. Education has come a long way....

All the schools / scouts / teams knew of his disability, he's never hidden it. It show's the greatest character (and acknowledgement of his disability) to me that he actually took the test, knowing that he was going to dramatically fail.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As a point of reference ...

The minimum acceptable score for a vocational / technical program (post secondary) here in FL when a HS diploma is NOT required is...... 13

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I posted this in Ramstalk:

The wonderlic average score is 21.75 with a standard deviation of 7.6. A score of 7 is nearly two standard deviations below the mean. Anyone outside of two standard deviations is in an outlying 2.5% of the population. So Austin is less intelligent than approximately 97% of the world.

Furtheremore, In IQ testing, two standard deviations is a 70, which if below is the criteria for mental retardation. Essentially, based on that score Austin nearly has mild mental retardation.

jap

Legend
brokeu91 said:

The wonderlic average score is 21.75 with a standard deviation of 7.6. A score of 7 is nearly two standard deviations below the mean. Anyone outside of two standard deviations is in an outlying 2.5% of the population. So Austin is less intelligent than approximately 97% of the world.

Furtheremore, In IQ testing, two standard deviations is a 70, which if below is the criteria for mental retardation. Essentially, based on that score Austin nearly has mild mental retardation.

Do these tests actually measure intelligence, or do they really measure knowledge?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
jap said:
brokeu91 said:

Do these tests actually measure intelligence, or do they really measure knowledge?
It was designed to be an intelligence test, and was standardized on a large population of people and then standardized again, against the Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS). The WAIS is considered the gold standard examining instrument for intelligence testing. The WAIS has several sections and testing can last up to 3-4 hours. The Wonderlic is not nearly as extensive as the WAIS (the generally used IQ test) and so Austin's results may differ if given WAIS testing. However, considering that the Wonderlic is standardized against the WAIS and generalized population, it should correlate fairly well.