Tavon Austin realistic expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think there are some refs that aren't very good and it doesn't matter what game they are calling they freak up calls.

And they are also human, and IMO (thanks to the refs union) there aren't enough of them on the field and they aren't held accountable to any degree that worries them.
And you don't think they put them on the smaller market games?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IIRC the union rotates the refs allover the place, they aren't assigned to a market.

That doesn't explain how we got Trippleshit for 2 games last year.
Also doesn't explain how the NFL reassigned refs to "lesser" games as punishment last year. I have to think you're wrong here Les. I believe it is the NFL that assigns the refs, decides the crew, and also figures out who has earned playoff games. I think you assign too much power to the Ref's union just because the NFL caved on a few things to end the strike.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Am I the only one who hopes he has a modest year so he re-signs for a decent contract and THEN blows up next year?
If he has 12-15 Td he will be looking for and probably getting, huge $$$

Ram65

Legend
Tavon will get the ball. I could see 60 catches for 650-700 yards. I could see 300-400 running. A couple of punt return TDs would be part of the total of 11-14 TDs. I would be surprise if the Rams throw more deep balls to TA.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
IIRC Tavon had 86 targets and 52 catches last season. For him to catch 100 passes he'd need about 150 targets-----I don't think he'll be targeted that much, so 100 catches is not going to happen. I'm thinking more like 68 to 75 catches with a little higher avg ypc in the 11 - 12 yard range. Tavon and Gurley give us 2 top caliber weapons, and I expect a big year from Britt. Three solid weapons and some good production from the other receivers---Cooper, Highbee,
Quick, et al, and the field opens up a little more for Tavon. He should see a few more deeper routes this year as well.

FrankenRam

Starter
That wasn't a dis on St Louis or its fanbase. It's just a fact that LA has a much larger fan base and there will be more eyeballs potentially scrutinizing the calls. Compared to Los Angeles and surrounding areas, St Louis has a very small media market. Nothing more to read in here and no blue font needed.

I'd be willing to bet that, if I visited the ROD equivalent in every NFL city, they would all think the refs call things against their team. The Rams don't get 'picked on' any more than any other team....unless you're saying 'the fix is in'.

And in this electronic age, where media coverage is so profuse you could probably get a stat of how many times each player picks his nose while on the field and film to prove it, the 'market size' argument is weak..at best. There may be more local coverage, but that's about it. The Rams will get a little extra national coverage for say....., the first half of the upcoming season just because the whole 'LA thing' is new, but that will wear off quickly.

And if they go through a 10 yr stretch with the same record they put up in STL the last 10, they'll get the same amount of national media attention they've rec'd in STL the last few yr. They'll start getting more national attention if/when they start doing something on the field to deserve it....like make the playoffs maybe.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Also doesn't explain how the NFL reassigned refs to "lesser" games as punishment last year. I have to think you're wrong here Les. I believe it is the NFL that assigns the refs, decides the crew, and also figures out who has earned playoff games. I think you assign too much power to the Ref's union just because the NFL caved on a few things to end the strike.

We'll have to look but I'm pretty sure that crews are rotated around during the season, and are selected for the playoffs based on a ranking at their position.

I know the playoffs and regular season are handled differently and recently things changed so when I have some time I'll look into it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd be willing to bet that, if I visited the ROD equivalent in every NFL city, they would all think the refs call things against their team. The Rams don't get 'picked on' any more than any other team....unless you're saying 'the fix is in'.

And in this electronic age, where media coverage is so profuse you could probably get a stat of how many times each player picks his nose while on the field and film to prove it, the 'market size' argument is weak..at best. There may be more local coverage, but that's about it. The Rams will get a little extra national coverage for say....., the first half of the upcoming season just because the whole 'LA thing' is new, but that will wear off quickly.

And if they go through a 10 yr stretch with the same record they put up in STL the last 10, they'll get the same amount of national media attention they've rec'd in STL the last few yr. They'll start getting more national attention if/when they start doing something on the field to deserve it....like make the playoffs maybe.

Good post, well said. Beleiving the calls will go in the Rams favor is senseless, it makes as little sense as fans who think that premium free agents will want to play for the Rams because they are in LA. As far as national coverage the Rams won't get any more just because they are in LA. Ask the Lakers how that works LOL.

Honestly outside of Rams fans, long time and new bandwagoners in LA, and fans in STL not many people really give a shit that the Rams moved. I live in an area (SWFL) that has transplants from all over the US, I see fans of every team and nobody talks about it and really didn't even as it was happening. Nobody cares that the Rams moved.

If they go through a 10 year stretch in LA like they did in STL people will understand how devoted the STL fans really were because Kroenke's new stadium will be just as empty as the dome was, including luxury boxes.

Winning is what matters. Winning is what gets attention from the media. Period.

Athos

Legend
Depends who the Rams elect to start as QB and how good the protection is.

If keenum sees a lot of action, I don't expect a big recieving year. With Goff? I think he'll have his biggest year but I don't see 85+ catches or 800 yards. Not unless he stole Welkers route running brain.

700 receiving tops, possibly 750 if he's lucky with some man coverage.

550 rushing yards. I expect your run blocking to be better provided health this time round. Todd being 100% will make Tavon more effective. Possible he could break 600 with a competent passing O.

15 all purpose TDs.

A55VA6

Legend
As long as refs don't fuck us over, Tavon will have multiple return TD's this year. It's a shame he's had so many called back..

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

While I don't disagree with most of this, I still think there will be more attention on the Rams as they start to play in LA. When bad calls happen, there will be more pressure to bear on the refs making the calls. Disagree if you want but when I watch refs call games for Seattle which I see a lot unfortunately, I don't see the stupid bad calls like some of the calls I have seen on TA run backs. That may indeed wear off if the Rams don't start producing winning football and keep it up.

What I am alluding to has nothing to do with St Louis as a whole. I think most here know that I defended the fan base there for pretty much the exact reason you stated. They couldn't possibly be expected to plop down the kind of cash it takes to go to a game with any kind of regularity with that piss poor product being trotted out there week in and week out. I had hoped for better as they started to improve but it didn't happen and I don't blame them much if any.

But as it all pertains to what we are talking about, I DO think the refs will make far less phantom calls due to the amount of attention being paid. If you think that the refs don't feel this pressure or what I'm saying is just me being a homer, that's fine. I never expected everyone to agree with me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We'll have to look but I'm pretty sure that crews are rotated around during the season, and are selected for the playoffs based on a ranking at their position.

I know the playoffs and regular season are handled differently and recently things changed so when I have some time I'll look into it.
Haven't gotten a complete answer on it but the top crews not only get playoff games but also games with "playoff implications" and any nationally televised games such as night games or those determined by the NFL to be the marque games. The other teams do apparently get the worst crews. So if there is more attention as I believe there will be in LA, we will get better referee crews. Certainly, if we have a crap product particularly like what we saw 2005 through 2011, the attention will be cast elsewhere.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Just posting this again in the Austin thread since I answered WestCoastRam in the Quick thread

@WestCoastRam said:
Okay, help me out here. How often did Tavon line up in the slot. I felt like it was rare that he lined up there last year and basically, he was a poor fit in the slot. It's hilarious to me that people look at his size and speed and assume that's where he lines up.

#11 WR/RB/PR TAVON AUSTIN 5'8 180 lbs (Turns 26 on 03/16/2017)
18171051435045015931.jpg

2015 Rams CATCHES.. 52 YARDS.. 473.. YPC.... 9.1... TD.. 5
2014 Rams CATCHES.. 31 YARDS.. 242.. YPC.... 7.8... TD.. 0
2013 Rams CATCHES.. 40 YARDS.. 418.. YPC.. 10.5... TD.. 4

CAREER RUSHING
44 GAMES.. ATT.. 97.. YARDS.. 809.. AVG.. 8.3.. TD.. 7

3 YEAR CAREER AVERAGE
41 catches per season.. 377 yards receiving per season.. 9.2 YPC per season

rushes per season... 269 yards rushing per season.. ...8.3 yds per rush per season.. almost averages as much rushing as receiving in total yards and his per catch and per rush avg.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pr...-means-more-reshuffling-along-cowboys-d-line/

Austin caught 64.2 percent of the passes sent his way in 2015,
meaning that, for him to top 100 catches this season at that same rate, he would need 156 targets, which would have been the sixth-highest total of 2015.

The issue for Austin is that the five players with more targets than that in 2015 are all outside, perimeter,
unquestioned No. 1 targets for their offenses, and Austin can’t be that guy at his size.

He needs to be the Jarvis Landry of his offense—a smaller, shifty receiver that can be reliable underneath and on quick passes, picking up yardage after the catch.

Landry caught 110 passes in 2015, so that role can certainly achieve those numbers, but that isn’t how the Rams have been deploying Austin to date. He may be thought of as a slot receiver, but only 17 of his 81 targets (21.0 percent) came from the slot in 2015.

The Rams have been lining Austin up outside and then feeding him the ball on bubble screens and quick hitches with the occasional deep route worked in. Austin runs one of the most basic route trees in the NFL, and until that develops, there is little to no chance of him catching those 100 passes.

2016-06-02_11-19-45.png

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well mr. ausmurp I will agree with you and project that TA is not going to catch 100 balls this year with the Rams and I cant imagine him catching 100 pigskins in 2017 either.

You said that you hold back posting much because of smart ass comments? Please do not let that be the reason when there are several posters that will respond with serious answers if you state like you did in this post to try and refrain with silly answers. One or 2 great responses to a post can make weeding out or simply (ignoring the ones that annoy you well worth it imho)

A sense of humor is common on a message board of serious sports fans and keeps things on the light side or we would drive each other mad with perfect boring politically correct debates like a room full of senators in a town hall meeting.

Anyway back to your post.... our little mighty might TA is a special player and if I had to guess his 2016 stats I will project him to have his best receiving year now that he's a seasoned veteran.

A quick look at his 3 year career avg..

catches per season.. 377 yards receiving per season.. 9.2 YPC per season.. Austin is surly better than this!
32 rushes per season.. 269 yards rushing per season.. 8.3 yds per carry per season.. almost averages as much rushing as receiving

I'll project for 2016...

T.Austin.. 60 catches.. 770 yards.. and 8 receiving TD's

T.Austin.. 40 rushes.. 375 yards. and 5 rushing TD's

Boras hopefully can get even more out of TA but with a rookie QB and likely a conservative first half of the season offensive approach, predicting this years offense is kind of tricky.

Boras could open it up earlier than some of us think but key factors will be based on the performance of the OLine and QB play, along with Gurley's sophomore season possibly on pace for the rushing title.

10784605163_21e83fc6f0_o.gif

austin1.gif

TavonAustinRun.gif

I'm a big TA fan, but I don't see 9.3 YPC. 8.3 is already probably unsustainable.