Tavon Austin realistic expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't care how he gets em.... but he's gonna put up

15 TDs... and dance after each one!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's too soon for me to make a prediction on TA's production. TA is dangerous and just having him on the field posses a threat to the defense. His real impact will show up in the overall offensive numbers. Goff can throw a deep ball so I hope we run TA on more vertices to open up space for the other players. But this offense goes through Gurley...

If I had to make a guess I would say 3 rushes and 5 catches a game, at higher yards per reception.

Let's say:
80 receptions and 960 yards.
48 carries at 384 yards.

The over/under at 8 offensive TD's.

I don't see him as a red zone threat.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
50 catches....550 yards rec.

29 rushes....345 yards rushing...

9 total tds......

not too silly I hope

I strongly disagree.............just 9 TD's, no way.

IMO if your post was a booty instead of a post it would be this booty. Just my opinion of course. :ROFLMAO:

Image removed by moderator because it was giving him dry heaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't care how he gets em.... but he's gonna put up

15 TDs... and dance after each one!

If your post was a booty it would be different than @LACHAMP46 's.

e2acf64238df0d15538ef8c92fd83488.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
For some reason, Austin seems to get a tremendous amount of credit as a PR and WR.

Check these career stats out...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/punt-return-yards-per-return

Note that the year can be adjusted and the return category can be adjusted on the side.

Clearly, he is merely slightly above average as a PR player.

His stats as a WR? Still looking for a 500 yard season, isn't he?

http://www.nfl.com/player/tavonaustin/2539336/careerstats

His runs are largely "surprise" or gadget plays, but gotta give him credit for an 8.3 average.

As a WR, he's a helluva RB. Lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would contend that he hasn't been much of a factor with crossing routes and double moves because we haven't had the QB play to take advantage of his ability there. On the few occasions we have, he either was able to burn defenses bad or draw what was or should have been PI calls. By back shoulder timing plays, if you are talking about deep balls, there is really nothing that indicates he can't do just that. If Foles wouldn't have thrown the ball too deep or out of bounds on a few of those plays, TA has his man beat easily. And TA did do the 10 yard out and stop route too but by the time the ball got there, the defender was wearing the same shoes as TA. Timing and the ability to get the ball in his hands in the right position had everything to do with those plays being blown up before they could get started. Getting him out in space isn't only about play design or that others were not drawing defenders. The QB has to pull the trigger. And our QBs have been woefully inadequate at doing that. It looked like Keenum was starting to get some of that down but that is not going to happen with 4 games left in the season and a new OC.

You may be right. But I saw a lot of plays just left on the field because the execution was extremely poor. It's a big if but IF the players look like they are reading from the same playbook and the QB delivers the ball when and where it is supposed to be delivered, those plays can work. And a guy like TA can take any one of them to the house with just one mistake by the defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't see him as a red zone threat.
Except that no one hits the edge quicker than he can and has. He's not a fade route threat - true. But the guy can get to the pylon in a hurry.

FrankenRam

Starter
Totally agree! Like you read my mind, we were getting shafted in St. Louis because of the small following and media. Now that we are in the spotlight the NFL has to call our games better. I will say though last yr was much better, I felt like the NFL knew we were moving to LA so they put some better refs on our games. Yrs before though, make me shiver how bad the refs have been. LA is all around positive move for Rams. I don't see Tavon getting 1000 yds receiving though. I think he might next yr when Goff progresses. Even still 1100+ yds rec and rushing is just as good and seems like most here expect that. I'm excited, definitely drafting tavon in fantasy this yr prob a Rd earlier than projected just to be safe.

You forgot the blue font.

FrankenRam

Starter
Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned how TG30 might figure into the passing game. Unless my memory is failing me worse than I realize, I thought pre-draft scouting reports had suggested he could be a decent receiver out of the backfield.(??)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned how TG30 might figure into the passing game. Unless my memory is failing me worse than I realize, I thought pre-draft scouting reports had suggested he could be a decent receiver out of the backfield.(??)
You missed it. I mentioned it earlier in this thread and it has been brought up many times on this board. But being that this thread is about TA, it's not going to be the prevailing subject.

And the Rams have said that they didn't use Gurley in the passing game much last year in order to not risk his non-fully recovered knee. They have said they expect that part of his game to be used more this season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You forgot the blue font.
That wasn't a dis on St Louis or its fanbase. It's just a fact that LA has a much larger fan base and there will be more eyeballs potentially scrutinizing the calls. Compared to Los Angeles and surrounding areas, St Louis has a very small media market. Nothing more to read in here and no blue font needed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think you guys are dreaming about the refs treating a team differently, they are uniformly poor and viewers get a myriad of views that they do not, so don't expect things to change.

Yeah, I never felts refs intentionally make bad calls against certain teams. But I believe they're influenced by the success of some teams and failure of others. Good plays by bad teams seem to get called back more than the good teams. Maybe the ref thinks "Thats a bad team, no way they earned that on their own".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I strongly disagree.............just 9 TD's, no way.

IMO if your post was a booty instead of a post it would be this booty. Just my opinion of course. :ROFLMAO:

Image removed by moderator because it was giving him dry heaves.

No fair that was funny as fuck

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Overall I do expect more from Tavon this year. Not a 1000 yard season. And certainly not 100 catches. But I can see 700 yards receiving and 500 yards rushing. Add in maybe 13 total TD's receiving, running and returning. I wouldn't mind seeing him get more carries in the run game. And the bubble screens definitely gotta be in the playbook.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, I never felts refs intentionally make bad calls against certain teams. But I believe they're influenced by the success of some teams and failure of others. Good plays by bad teams seem to get called back more than the good teams. Maybe the ref thinks "Thats a bad team, no way they earned that on their own".

I think there are some refs that aren't very good and it doesn't matter what game they are calling they fuck up calls.

And they are also human, and IMO (thanks to the refs union) there aren't enough of them on the field and they aren't held accountable to any degree that worries them.

…..

Legend
I'm not expecting gaudy stats, but certainly more highlight reel stuff and definitely a great TD rate.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Those fans expecting huge receiving numbers from Austin are likely to be disappointed.

Think about it.

Once Goff gets his feet on the ground, he will be accurately hitting all open receivers much more efficiently than Foles or Keenum did. The whole field is a possible target area and he see's and processes very quickly.

Higbee will quite likely become a Goff favorite target. Boras/Groh should be able to feature the TE in their passing O, finally.

The Rams are likely to increase Gurley's pass receiving opportunities.

One or more of Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, North, Williams, Quick, or ??? will be be joining Britt as WR threats for Goff.

Add all that up and there just won't be all that many targets left for Austin.

And that's a good thing. An O with weapons everywhere is far more dangerous than one with only 2 of them.

Besides, as a WR, Austin is a helluva RB. Lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No fair that was funny as fuck
That was hideous as fuck. Yeah - I can see the humor as much as the next guy but I kept scrolling by it and y'know... if you can change something you don't like - then change it. So I did. Deal with it. :D