Tavon Austin realistic expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
He's not catching 100 passes, it just won't happen in our offensethis yr. But I'm curious what people think realistic expectations are for him.

Please guys, those of you who always post dumb smart ass comments, please hold back. It just get so annoying, and seems to happen every time I post, so I don't post much.

I'll start:

65 rec 750 yds 6 tds
50 rushes 350 yds 5 tds
Totals approx 115 touches 1100 yds from scrimmage 11 tds

ausmurp

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That'd be good for 176 fantasy pts. Puts him top 15 in WRs. He's a solid sleeper this yr.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's not catching 100 passes, it just won't happen in our offensethis yr. But I'm curious what people think realistic expectations are for him.

Please guys, those of you who always post dumb smart ass comments, please hold back. It just get so annoying, and seems to happen every time I post, so I don't post much.

I'll start:

65 rec 750 yds 6 tds
50 rushes 350 yds 5 tds

Maybe a little more on the ground, actually I wouldn't be shocked to see him pick up 500+.

And I think he is going to have a better year returning punts too.

So maybe 13 TD's.

ausmurp

Starter
Maybe a little more on the ground, actually I wouldn't be shocked to see him pick up 500+.

And I think he is going to have a better year returning punts too.

So maybe 13 TD's.

Man if he does we are going to lead the league in rushing. That'd be awesome.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that his rushing total will be higher. Receiving looks about right. His return yardage will be a huge asset to our team IMO. I can't help but think we will get a little more beneficial look from the zebras with the move to LA and all. There will be far more eyeballs watching our Rams and I think that works in our favor with the crap calls TA has gotten on some of his returns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I'll start:

65 rec 750 yds 6 tds
50 rushes 350 yds 5 tds
I think your a little low on all counts! And you have to consider PR's and KR's and TD's that come with them!!(y):D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Austin gets his first 1,000yd (receiving) season.

There. I said it.

ausmurp

Starter
I agree that his rushing total will be higher. Receiving looks about right. His return yardage will be a huge asset to our team IMO. I can't help but think we will get a little more beneficial look from the zebras with the move to LA and all. There will be far more eyeballs watching our Rams and I think that works in our favor with the crap calls TA has gotten on some of his returns.

Totally agree! Like you read my mind, we were getting shafted in St. Louis because of the small following and media. Now that we are in the spotlight the NFL has to call our games better. I will say though last yr was much better, I felt like the NFL knew we were moving to LA so they put some better refs on our games. Yrs before though, make me shiver how bad the refs have been. LA is all around positive move for Rams. I don't see Tavon getting 1000 yds receiving though. I think he might next yr when Goff progresses. Even still 1100+ yds rec and rushing is just as good and seems like most here expect that. I'm excited, definitely drafting tavon in fantasy this yr prob a Rd earlier than projected just to be safe.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think you guys are dreaming about the refs treating a team differently, they are uniformly poor and viewers get a myriad of views that they do not, so don't expect things to change.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I'll start:

65 rec 750 yds 6 tds
50 rushes 350 yds 5 tds

Well mr. ausmurp I will agree with you and project that TA is not going to catch 100 balls this year with the Rams and I cant imagine him catching 100 pigskins in 2017 either.

You said that you hold back posting much because of smart ass comments? Please do not let that be the reason when there are several posters that will respond with serious answers if you state like you did in this post to try and refrain with silly answers. One or 2 great responses to a post can make weeding out or simply (ignoring the ones that annoy you well worth it imho)

A sense of humor is common on a message board of serious sports fans and keeps things on the light side or we would drive each other mad with perfect boring politically correct debates like a room full of senators in a town hall meeting.

Anyway back to your post.... our little mighty might TA is a special player and if I had to guess his 2016 stats I will project him to have his best receiving year now that he's a seasoned veteran.

A quick look at his 3 year career avg..

catches per season.. 377 yards receiving per season.. 9.2 YPC per season.. Austin is surly better than this!
32 rushes per season.. 269 yards rushing per season.. 8.3 yds per carry per season.. almost averages as much rushing as receiving

I'll project for 2016...

T.Austin.. 60 catches.. 770 yards.. and 8 receiving TD's

T.Austin.. 40 rushes.. 375 yards. and 5 rushing TD's

Boras hopefully can get even more out of TA but with a rookie QB and likely a conservative first half of the season offensive approach, predicting this years offense is kind of tricky.

Boras could open it up earlier than some of us think but key factors will be based on the performance of the OLine and QB play, along with Gurley's sophomore season possibly on pace for the rushing title.

10784605163_21e83fc6f0_o.gif

austin1.gif

TavonAustinRun.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
50 catches....550 yards rec.

29 rushes....345 yards rushing...

9 total tds......

not too silly I hope

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think he gets 1k recieving plus about 500 from jet sweeps.

Thing with Tavon is he is never gonna be a possession catch numbers type guy. He is a flip the field position type player and each time you do that it is nearly equivalent to a turnover. He will get the ball more, probably around 75 catches, in the pattern and those big plays will be a little more frequent.

Explosive plays plus turnovers. That is the team Fish wants IMO.

MauiRam

Rookie
100 catches seems too high, particularly given the additions of Cooper and Higbee – so agreed on that.

As regards Tavon's rushing totals, I believe he will have more. 350 yards is slightly less than 22 yards per game. My guess is Tavon will have 500 + yards rushing. Those jet sweeps will gas defenses in the second half, and with Gurley on the field it will amount to pick your poison. If Pharoh Cooper is the real deal, (that goes for Higbee too) the Rams should be able to spread the ball around, and make our running game even harder to defend.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As far as I am concerned, Austin is one of the most dangerous players in the NFL every time he gets the ball in the hands. Arguably *the* most dangerous player in the NFL. On any given snap he can take it to the house. If he was used correctly and/or the Rams had halfway decent QB play during his time in Horns thus far, his numbers would be out of this world. Despite the Rams being a run-first team. And then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

He's also (probably) the best in the league at returning punts.

He's also a very capable blocker, his small stature notwithstanding.

Until they prove otherwise, Snisher seem below average at identifying offensive talent be it via the draft or free agency. Retaining Austin should be a priority. It would take an astronomical sum being demanded from Austin to have me wanting the Rams to pass on him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think our receivers will be more productive AND so will TA. The thought is that we will be playing ultra conservative as is supposedly Fisher's will. I just don't buy that you bring in guys like TA and strive for a conservative offense. I personally think Fisher wants to open things up but the level of QB play and O-line problems have not allowed for it.

Even if Keenum starts, he will be far more on the same page with his receivers this year than last so he will be able to hit more of them in stride. That will be huge for getting TA that room to make the first guy miss. From there, a lot can and does happen with TA. That and I think defenses are going to have to pay attention to Coop as well as either Kendricks or Higbee - not to mention the play action with Gurley breaking into the middle. There are now some real weapons on offense and the question will be when they all get on the same page IMO. I think Boras is better at getting his players to play disciplined.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the improved passing game with the OC and Goff will higher YPC and higher TD totals. We've already heard from Fisher that the plan was to spread the ball around more. We now with the rookies have a more capable stable of receivers than the Rams have in a very long time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thing no one is talking about, In Austin's career he's had 23 KR's for 433 Yards and an average of 18.8 per! Add to that 102 PR's for 939 Yards/ an aver. of 9.2 w/ a Long of 98 yards/ and 3 TD's
And don't forget All the yards and TD's he's Lost due to penalties on Team mates!
These stats are going to jump for Tavon starting this year!JMHO