Tavon Austin.. Pay cut?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They signed him to the extension within the last year. I don't think he could take a pay cut. Nor should he.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Never been a fan of him, and cringed hard at trading up for him. That said, if I WERE Austin, and the Rams asked me to take a pay cut, I'd laugh myself into a coma. I believe my exact words, after I woke from said coma, would be, "You signed me to the contract, and you have $40 million in cap space, so, uh... fuck off."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It would be foolish to mess with his contract. The Rams if they want can easily get out of it with no cap hit next year. He's going to be paid more than most of us want but people need to get over that.

jap

Legend
The Fisher King's regime supposedly had huge plans for Tavon last season. Unfortunately, they did not appear to know how to bring those plans to fruition realistically. That's not Tavon's fault by any means.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
We're known for frontloading our contracts so we can get out later. I trust Demoff and co. on these deals. It sucks to see his cap hit on paper, but if he doesn't produce under an offensive-minded HC, then cut bait next year or the year after.

Ram65

Legend
We're known for frontloading our contracts so we can get out later. I trust Demoff and co. on these deals. It sucks to see his cap hit on paper, but if he doesn't produce under an offensive-minded HC, then cut bait next year or the year after.

This year is the big number year most are 9 Million. When you count the last year of his rookie contract and the fact he signed for 5 years (2021) it's not completely crazy. It's high but, he did better in 2015 and I think he will do more with McVay. Get some other talent around him and it will pay off.

It will be interesting to see what this years free agents net and compare down the road.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/tavon-austin-12288/

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'd love it if Snead could find us a trade partner to take on Austins contract. I don't think he'll ever be more than he's been for us to this point. I can see the talent but his role is a gadget player. He's just not built physically or mentally to be a dominant Wr in the NFL. Just my opinion.

Ram65

Legend
I'd love it if Snead could find us a trade partner to take on Austins contract. I don't think he'll ever be more than he's been for us to this point. I can see the talent but his role is a gadget player. He's just not built physically or mentally to be a dominant Wr in the NFL. Just my opinion.

It just can't happen this year. Massive cap hit.

Next year no cap hit.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think Mcvay will help make Tavon a more productive player. How much more productive? We'll see.

I know that Tavon is a hard worker. Just saw on Stedman's snapchat yesterday. Sted and Tavon working out, lifting weights. Then they were outside running routes. Those are things I love to see out of our young guns.

FRO

Legend
Unfortunately Tavon is nothing more than a gimmick player. I thought he would be Wes Welker with 4.2 speed. Totally different players as Austin has never developed the ability to run good routes.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately Tavon is nothing more than a gimmick player. I thought he would be Wes Welker with 4.2 speed. Totally different players as Austin has never developed the ability to run good routes.

To be fair, nobody on this team has developed anything positive over the last couple of seasons.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Tavon should see the best year of his career now that we actually have an offensive coordinator. Frankly, Rob Boras could have made Julio Jones look average in his scheme he called an offense.

Psycho_X

Legend
"He can carry a play, not an offense"

I really like that quote about Tavon because it's true. However, as we all do, I have hope that McVay will finally use Tavon correctly. The quote will still be correct but those plays he will carry should net big gains if the offense is running properly and it'll be worth the front loaded contract.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
One of the biggest mistakes we all witnessed last year in our offense was not using Tavon as a sweep guy, a run guy, a decoy run guy, etc.

I can see Mcvay utilizing these things in addition with Tavon. It will help the offense in whole. Tavon will be schemed open in Mcvay's offense, he'll need to catch the ball, but I think Mcvay is going to put him in a place to produce.

I also highly doubt that any of us think Tavon can't be a weapon when he has the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They signed him to the extension within the last year. I don't think he could take a pay cut. Nor should he.

Just to clarify, I think Tavon is overpaid considering what he's done thus far, but I don't think he owes us a pay cut. We were the dumbasses that gave him this contract a few months ago. :LOL:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I think Tavon should see the best year of his career now that we actually have an offensive coordinator. Frankly, Rob Boras could have made Julio Jones look average in his scheme he called an offense.
Rob Boras would've turned Julio Jones into Wholio Jones...:whistle::deadhorse:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I for one am looking forward to see how the new coaching staff use tavon. I'm betting there's gonna be a huge improvement in his production without hurting the offense as a whole.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
There was a stretch during Austin's rookie year where he was catching balls downfield and running a variety of routes. I feel like he has seriously regressed as a receiver since then. It's pretty sad, but it gives me hope that with some decent coaching he could be used as more than just a gadget player. He's also been held back by some pretty horrible QB play.