Tavon Austin - OROY?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
02:35 – Brian Baldinger and Matt Birk pick their early candidates for the offensive and defensive rookie of the year awards.

[nfl]0ap2000000216544[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000216544/Rookie-of-the-year-candidates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... candidates</a>

A55VA6

Legend
I agree with Brian. lol but really. I told myself whatever team Tavon goes to, I'm a fan. Now that he's a Ram, I'm all in on this guy.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
He very well could be, but let's see him on at least one play in the NFL first.
(he's already got my vote tho)

GO RAMS!!!!

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
IDK. I will say no right now.

BUT I will say this, if he is offensive rookie of the year, then we will likely be a playoff team. Because that means he will have caught a likely 800+ receiving yards and 5+ TDs. Another stat line I think Chris Givens will be around.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What worries me is that everyone is pegging him as OROY... Very often the guys that win are the ones that nobody expected.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
bluecoconuts said:
What worries me is that everyone is pegging him as OROY... Very often the guys that win are the ones that nobody expected.
True true, but when you trade up to number 8 to pick this kid, it isn't really a surprise. I think if Sam can help show him where to go and what not, he could very well hit that feat.

A55VA6

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
Yeah, but someone this special doesn't come around often. Sky is the limit for Tavon.

Even if he doesn't win Rookie of the year.. that doesn't mean this season is a failure for him. Has a chance to be very very special.

jjab360

Legend
bluecoconuts said:

Maybe, but not lately.

RG3, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Adrian Peterson, Vince Young, etc. were all high picks and heavy favorites for the award.

The only somewhat recent OROY that really nobody expected was Anquan Boldin.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jjab360 said:
bluecoconuts said:

Maybe, but not lately.

RG3, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Adrian Peterson, Vince Young, etc. were all high picks and heavy favorites for the award.

A quick google search says otherwise..

Sam wasn't predicted to be ROY his year, neither was Cam Newton or Matt Ryan... People were more on Luck being OROY than RG3 as well... I didn't go far enough back for Peterson or Young though.. They may have been in the mix, but more people were picking CJ Spiller (over Sam) or AJ Green/Julio Jones (over Newton).

I'm not saying it wont happen, I think that Tavon has all the tools and the right situation to be OROY and I think he'll be in the mix for sure... But I don't want to go into the season expecting that.

jjab360

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
jjab360 said:
bluecoconuts said:

Maybe, but not lately.

A quick google search says otherwise..

Sam wasn't predicted to be ROY his year, neither was Cam Newton or Matt Ryan... People were more on Luck being OROY than RG3 as well... I didn't go far enough back for Peterson or Young though.. They may have been in the mix, but more people were picking CJ Spiller (over Sam) or AJ Green/Julio Jones (over Newton).

I'm not saying it wont happen, I think that Tavon has all the tools and the right situation to be OROY and I think he'll be in the mix for sure... But I don't want to go into the season expecting that.
Maybe "heavy favorites" was the wrong phrase, but being that most of the recent winners were top 10 picks and had a lot of hype heading into the draft, it's hard to say that nobody expected them to win.

Chris Givens runs a 4.35-4.41 pending his different trials. Tavon runs a 4.25-4.35(4.25 unofficially) I don't see anyone in the
NFL being able to compete with that. If Chris Givens could burn as many people as he did last year, Tavon should honestly have a good
shot at being very productive for us. ROY, way too early. On a different note, SB has more protection!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm going with;

Offense: Austin
Defense: Ogletree

Why not? First time in NFL history same team?

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
CGI_Ram said:
I'm going with;

I like that. And I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.

GO RAMS!!!!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
CGI_Ram said:
I'm going with;

If this happens... i wonder how exciting december and january football will be, but i refuse to use that word just yet.. :sly:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:
I'm going with;

It is possible. Austin has all of the talent in the world and will be in a system that will be trying to help him get the ball.

Ogletree has something that Jarvis Jones doesn't have, which is elite LB speed and ability to cover. He will be able to get interceptions AND sacks. With the DL being as good as it can be/eating up blocks and with him being able to blitz he could get a fair amount of sacks too.

I really do think it's a possibility. Though, I admit that I wouldn't hold my breath.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I'm going with;

Now wouldn't this just be so cool :plus1:
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If these guys play well... and we make the playoffs... an Austin and Ogletree winner is doable! * positive thinking *