Tavon Austin, involved early again...then..?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's as if the script for the first series or 2 gets Austin involved...a couple nice plays and actually, overall the playcalling at the beginning mixes things up and seems creative...then it get's predictable and they stop going to Austin.

I just don't get it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Like I said in another post. We should just trade him so he can have a great career somewhere else. Because that type of player needs to see the ball 15-20 times per game.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I think it's pretty obvious why he doesn't get used past the first half

Schotty scripts a good plan, but is totally inept when it comes to making adjustments after half time. Tavon gets lost on those adjustments. Granted Davis is missing a lot of throws though

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say there are a couple reasons why:
1) The Rams don't have Tavon out there quite enough
and
2) Austin Davis seems to constantly overlook Tavon when he's on the field

I'd say that 2 might affect 1. But yea, I agree. Tavon was killing it. Why did they not bring him back out in the 2nd half and run the ball some with him or run another Jet Sweep or run a tunnel screen or anything?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's as if the script for the first series or 2 gets Austin involved...a couple nice plays and actually, overall the playcalling at the beginning mixes things up and seems creative...then it get's predictable and they stop going to Austin.

I just don't get it.
I have to wonder how much the QB's abilities played into this^!?!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Very frustrating indeed.

Not sure why the Rams can't figure this out?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have to wonder how much the QB's abilities played into this^!?!
I don't think that is a factor there. Giving Austin end-arounds and screen passes should fit into Austin Davis' skill set fine.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I just don't get it.

Neither do I.

Sincerely,

Brian Schotenheimer

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I typically think people are harsher on Schottenheimer than is really fair, particularly having him front and center on losses then forgetting him on wins.

But the misuse/lack of use of Tavon is totally on him.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think it's pretty obvious why he doesn't get used past the first half

Schotty scripts a good plan, but is totally inept when it comes to making adjustments after half time. Tavon gets lost on those adjustments. Granted Davis is missing a lot of throws though

I agree with this a lot. Shotty is pretty good at scripting plays for the first few minutes of a game when he has all week to think and prepare for it. But the big problem starts as soon as he has to think on the spot and make adjustments. That's when it becomes clear he is in most cases no match for the opposing DC.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I typically think people are harsher on Schottenheimer than is really fair, particularly having him front and center on losses then forgetting him on wins.

But the misuse/lack of use of Tavon is totally on him.

Schotty is what he is and it's been known for years now. The drive for the first TD was impressive. TA on the loose, TM to the edge chewing up big gains, it was well called. Then he goes away from what's working. There is no sensible explanation. Not using TA and Bailey creatively while having Givens on the field is a crime.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I just don't get it.
Shottenheimer is setting up the surprise play. Trust me, you wont see it coming

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I just don't get it.

If you look at Jets forums from when Schotty was there you'll see a common theme. He's just not very good. But, there are a couple of surprises in the comments there that make a lot of sense. Schotty is one of the best in the league in scripting the first drive. This is a huge reason why we lead the league in first possession points. His biggest problem is in-game adjustments. This is why we get the feeling as fans that once we get stuffed for 2-3 drives in a row, that we'll never score points the rest of the game.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
17 Rec 154 yards 0 TDs 11 weeks into the season is unacceptable for a top 10 pick in his 2nd year. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specific but the Rams as a team need to come together and get this guy more involved.

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
I think they should use him like we used Amendola. Keep tossing him the ball and Tavon will eventually break one. What says the ROD hive?

V3

Hall of Fame
I think they should use him like we used Amendola. Keep tossing him the ball and Tavon will eventually break one. What says the ROD hive?
I'd like to see that but I don't think they trust Tavon with the routes that Amendola ran. That's why they are always short and simple.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If you look at Jets forums from when Schotty was there you'll see a common theme. He's just not very good. But, there are a couple of surprises in the comments there that make a lot of sense. Schotty is one of the best in the league in scripting the first drive. This is a huge reason why we lead the league in first possession points. His biggest problem is in-game adjustments. This is why we get the feeling as fans that once we get stuffed for 2-3 drives in a row, that we'll never score points the rest of the game.

Because Jets fans are merit enough?

Enough already with blaming the OC after every loss.

The biggest issue with this year is both units have played well but both have not played well at the same time in the same game.

These last 3 weeks the defense has played amazing, but the offense has laid eggs. But prior? Offense was scoring points and going up and down the field.

Seattle and SF are 2 great example. Seattle, people want to say STs won that game but for whatever reason want to foerget the offensive drives in the 4th. All the defense needed was 1 stop and that fake punt never gets called. SF was the complete opposite.

Again, enough already. The Rams have been firing OCs and coaches for 8 years now. What has changed? Nothing. Fans are still blaming the OC. Its downright ridiculous.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Because Jets fans are merit enough?

Enough already with blaming the OC after every loss.

The biggest issue with this year is both units have played well but both have not played well at the same time in the same game.

These last 3 weeks the defense has played amazing, but the offense has laid eggs. But prior? Offense was scoring points and going up and down the field.

Seattle and SF are 2 great example. Seattle, people want to say STs won that game but for whatever reason want to foerget the offensive drives in the 4th. All the defense needed was 1 stop and that fake punt never gets called. SF was the complete opposite.

Again, enough already. The Rams have been firing OCs and coaches for 8 years now. What has changed? Nothing. Fans are still blaming the OC. Its downright ridiculous.

There's a definite trend that's been apparent for as long as we've had Schotty as our OC, and that trend is mirrored in fan comments that go as far back as when he was with the jets.

I don't know what else to tell you, but what happened to Tavon in the second half of this game? He was getting his chances on screens and even had a chance on a jet sweep, then nothing...

If I can dig up those comments, you should read them. It'll definitely give you a deju vu feeling.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Although the play calling wasn't really that terrible this game, it's inexcusable that he didn't get the ball more. Would've been nice if Davis could've hit him for that easy TD instead of under throwing Britt by 20 yards for an interception too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's a definite trend that's been apparent for as long as we've had Schotty as our OC, and that trend is mirrored in fan comments that go as far back as when he was with the jets.

I don't know what else to tell you, but what happened to Tavon in the second half of this game? He was getting his chances on screens and even had a chance on a jet sweep, then nothing...

If I can dig up those comments, you should read them. It'll definitely give you a deju vu feeling.

No, it wouldn't. Because all it would be is internet fans blaming the OC. The Jets didn't magically become better the moment Schotty left. Mark Sanchez didn't magically become a star the moment Schotty left. If anything, he got worse.

He's been out of football and had a change of scenery and has a team with better play makers.

The Rams' guys get hurt or don't execute. It's really that simple, and yes even the OC makes play calls. My point is it hardly ever results in an instant positive when the OC is fired. Again, the Rams have been doing it for 8 years now.

As for Tavon, IDK. I didn't watch the game, I was at ComicCon. It wouldn't be fair to me to comment or speculate.