Tavon Austin highlights(plus some notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HD31Do9yRBo

Man, watching what he can do in open space is almost mind boggling. The best in the league moving laterally and still maintaining speed. I really think he can be a complete receiver.

There was a couple highlights in the video that were called back for penalties. And I know we've gone over 100 times how many plays he's gotten called back. But his career touchdown total would probably double if that weren't the case. Plays off the top of my head that have been called back:
- 34 yard punt return(2013 vs Jaguars)
- 67 yard pass touchdown(2013 vs Panthers)
- 85 yard punt return TD(2013 vs Cowboys)
- 70 yard punt return(2014 vs Chargers)
- 20 yard rush touchdown(2015 vs Bears)
- 75 yard punt return TD(2015 vs Lions)
- 60 yard punt return(2015 vs Cardinals)
I'm sure I'm missing a few. But it's amazing how much better his career looks without penalties. Anyway, great player and I'm happy we have him. I don't think anyone believes he's a bust anymore.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. Dude is amazing. Loved that pick.

A55VA6

Legend
Nice video! Tay Awesome is a fantastic playmaker. It's a shame he's had so many TD's called back.

I love how defenses know it's coming and they still can't stop him because he's so elusive and quick. He still needs work on becoming an all around WR, but his route running improved last year so I'm exited to see what he can do in 16' with or without a good QB.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Informative Article: Should The Rams Pick Up Tavon Austin's 5th Year Option?
Link: http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1/20/10780826/los-angeles-rams-st-louis-tavon-Austin

It states that the cost to exercise Tavon's 5th year option will be around $11.6. Even though the Rams Offense sorely needs more speed like Austin's that number is too steep for him as he is not a #1 outside receiver.
I think they give him an extension. You don't let players like him go. I do think 11 mill is a little much for him though.

jjab360

Legend
Probably the quickest/most agile player in the league. If we could get him to run downfield routes and a QB who could get him the ball, wooh boy...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think 2015 was a sort-of 'Break-out-year' for Tavon! He seems to have got his act together! I'll bet he's even better this year!!

Big Game

Living The Dream
Great Video, his ability to start stop cut and accelerate is simply amazing!!!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He has improved markedly every year. It is a real testament to his work ethic as well as his desire to become a complete player (see: his blocking prowess despite being the smallest WR on the team). This past season was his coming out party.

I have confident he will continue to improve and add to his game. Next season: becoming more of a down-field threat. He showed flashes this year. Next season, provided we have a QB of any quality, I think we will start seeing him catch more passes from beyond the line of scrimmage for big yards.

Ram65

Legend
Link: http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1/20/10780826/los-angeles-rams-st-louis-tavon-Austin

It states that the cost to exercise Tavon's 5th year option will be around $11.6. Even though the Rams Offense sorely needs more speed like Austin's that number is too steep for him as he is not a #1 outside receiver.

I think they give him an extension. You don't let players like him go. I do think 11 mill is a little much for him though.

Yes ! They have to extend his contract. He gets more guaranteed money. It's hard to put a value dollar wise on him. To the Rams he is worth a lot. As was state he is getting better. Interesting to see what they do. I would think 8-9 Million a year for 4-5 years. The cap keeps going up so he could be a bargain at that price.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-cap-could-reach-1534m-in-2016-up-from-14328m
NFL Salary Cap since 2003

2016: $150 million-$153.4 million (projected)
2015: 143.28 million
2014: $133 million
2013: $123 million
2012: $120.6 million
2011: $120 million
2010: UNCAPPED
2009: $123 million
2008: $116 million
2007: $109 million
2006: $102 million
2005: $85.5 million
2004: $80.58 million
2003: $75 million

Great video. When TA gets just gets a little space it's amazing to watch him amaze.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Tavon is the Lightening to the Gurley Man's Thunder, our super dynamic duo.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Tavon "Awesome" indeed. He is a real asset to our team. I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. He works hard and has amazing field instincts and moves.

People often overlook him on our offense. Gurley, Tavon, our new offensive linemen gelling, - I'll say this again- we are not starting from Scratch with this offense.

Even "serviceable" players like Kendricks, Keenum, Britt, Reynolds are guys that are always part of championship teams. We. Are. Close.

Even unknowns already on the offensive roster may be part of this picture. Is anyone ready to declare Mannion WON'T be the guy? One of the fringe receivers WON'T click with a quarterback to become a key target?

We absolutely need more weapons on the Rams offense. The Foles experiment killed us last year. There will be a splash player or two at receiver and QB. (Maybe TE?) I have confidence in that.

But my point here is: take heart. Tavon is an exciting part of this emerging offense. In 1998 the pathetic Rams had Warner, Bruce, Pace, Conwell, Proehl, Hakim and others on the roster. We added key pieces Timmerman, Holt....and of course...Marshall! History was made.

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah.. feels like yesterday when people were calling him a bust.

Playmaker for sure! Can't have enough of those guys on our team.

BadCompany

Rookie

The problem is we don't have a #1 outside receiver, so what are you going to do? Let him go because you don't want to overpay him? Fine, so you retain an acceptable salary structure... but you have a lesser team because of it. No outside #1 WR, and you let one of, if not the biggest TD threat on the team go. To save, what? $3-4 million? I know the response to that would be "well we will use that money to get that #1 WR" but honestly, how realistic is that? We are a non-playoff team, with no QB. How many top WRs are going to be lining up for the chance to play with Case Keenum or Sean Mannion? Or a rookie? Or <gulp> Nick Foles? On a team that stresses defense and running the ball? With a rookie offensive coordinator?

The article says that $11 million would make Tavon one of the top ten highest paid receivers in the league. Well, unless I'm reading the stats wrong he was tenth in touchdowns for WRs. Of course he is no where near that in yards receiving, but so what? The name of the game is to score TDs, and Tavon does that. Are we going to let him go in the hopes that we can get somebody else that might produce the same amount of TDs? A bird in the hand versus two in the bush, and all that. We have a playmaker. Let's keep him. Screw the cap structure. Until it becomes an issue it's not an issue. Right now overpaying Tavon would not be an issue, in my opinion, even though I recognize the problems with keeping the defense together. I'm all for getting him at a lower number if that's possible, but I would not make it a hill to die on.