Tavon Austin has wrist surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally have no care for what a guy gets paid it doesn't come out of my pocket so it's a moot point

I do have an issue that is a guy hurts the team in terms of drops or production (lack of )

All I know we as Rams fan tend to over value our players because we have had so few great ones over the years .... how many times have we said ooo so and so will get stolen if he gets put on the PS ... and Lo and behold he doesn't

And make no mistake this is a make or break year for Tavon

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“You look at some of the things that Tavon Austin does with the ball, both in the run game and when he’s able to catch it as a receiver,” McVay said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “He’s a guy that you want to move all over the formation.”

This is CRITICAL and here is why...........the attitude that all you have to do was "get the ball in Austin's hands" is stupid, and that's exactly what Boras thought. It doesn't work that why. It's how the play is designed. @Mojo Ram posted a video showing how the Rams ran different plays out of the same formation and with the same motion. Designed to open space at the LOS to let Gurley and Austin get to the more open field. Maybe he can repost it. It's the WAY you get the ball in his hands and I don't think that's been the case much of the time.

Hopefully the surgery includes attachment of better hands.

It's funny, and I like TA but he does take his eye off the ball sometimes.

He needs to work on being a receiver. His skill position.

But that IS NOT his position. It may say that on his trading card, and on the roster, but it's inaccurate. He could be just as easily labeled a returner or RB. He wasn't just a WR in college either. He's never been just a WR, he's always been a multi use guy.

I'm a fan too and I appreciate production. 4 seasons in and we have a good idea of what TA is capable of doing and it isn't enough. The numbers are of a mediocre 3rd WR. Effort is great but with the 5th season approaching insisting upon production is reasonable.

I'm not as sure as you and I have seen what he can do when some plays are designed to shake him loose so I'll wait to see what happens this season with McVay. My hope is that he can get him to produce "shock" plays and keep the defense a little more honest.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think a large part of this offenses anemic performance last year was Austin's utter lack of involvement in the running game.
In '15, he had double the attempts, and almost 3x the yardage on the ground. I understand that we were all waiting on Gurley's ascendance to the uppermost tier of running backs, but so much of that success he had in '15 should be credited to defenses not knowing where the ball was going. The jet sweep was abandoned (for better or worse) and Austin was lined up in the backfield only a handful of times.
Keep Austin involved early, and its easier to lean on Gurley late in the 3rd and 4th quarters for him to break down already weary defenses.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You don't need big hands to catch a football...Ask Djax
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/desean-jackson
9 3/8....not bad...not great...what I also noticed...he didn't have a great 3-cone either...

compared to Tavon's 9 1/8....
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tavon-austin

so...I think it's another problem...concentration maybe....fear...heart...

Unless this a recent problem I've always wondered why they wait so long to get problems taken care of
He just sent out a tweet a few days ago...think this is related....the only problem I have with it...it was late at night like he was hanging out messing around...this is a huge set back...IMO

Ram65

Legend
I think a large part of this offenses anemic performance last year was Austin's utter lack of involvement in the running game.
In '15, he had double the attempts, and almost 3x the yardage on the ground. I understand that we were all waiting on Gurley's ascendance to the uppermost tier of running backs, but so much of that success he had in '15 should be credited to defenses not knowing where the ball was going. The jet sweep was abandoned (for better or worse) and Austin was lined up in the backfield only a handful of times.
Keep Austin involved early, and its easier to lean on Gurley late in the 3rd and 4th quarters for him to break down already weary defenses.

Good points. I just watch the 2015 highlights. Jet sweeps were very effective. Agree defenses have tow watch for that and it helps Gurley. I don't know why they didn't run him more often last year,. He always has good yards per carry, I think teams focused on the bubble screen last year. He did well in 2015 with them. They have to mix it up with Tavon. He 10 TD in 2015 and a good balance of run and pass yards. Let's see what he can do this year under McVay. He is fun to watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD31Do9yRBo&feature=youtu.be

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
He should hve had the surgery right after the season ended so he wouldn't have to miss OTA's.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll say this about Tavon.

If any coaching staff can maximize his opportunities, it's this one.

Perhaps Tavon can redeem himself this year. If not, it's his last year as a Ram with significant snaps.

I'm pulling for him, obviously. But I'm not optimistic.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/desean-jackson
9 3/8....not bad...not great...what I also noticed...he didn't have a great 3-cone either...

compared to Tavon's 9 1/8....
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tavon-austin

so...I think it's another problem...concentration maybe....fear...heart...

He just sent out a tweet a few days ago...think this is related....the only problem I have with it...it was late at night like he was hanging out messing around...this is a huge set back...IMO

I think it's lack if coaching. Players most often are only as good their coaches esp ones who are fresh out of college. TA has all the ability in the world, I've seen him put the moves on some of the league's best DBs but he's never been consistent enough to make him a legit threat. I think Mcvay has the right idea to use him the same way he used Djax, he really is a similar type of WR and to be fair Fisher used him in a completely different roll.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Tavon's super low 7 on the Wonderlic gives you an inside to maybe how slow he picks things up as Kupp had a 37. Not opening a can of worms here as the Wonderlic isn't IQ but it's still a sign we signed some very slow learners under Fisher. Like our #2 pick from App. St. and GRob. Maybe we get a new begining with some smarter players. What a challenge McVay has ahead of him to teach routes to Tavon. Shame our offensive coaches up to this new bunch were just not serious NFL .

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tavon's super low 7 on the Wonderlic gives you an inside to maybe how slow he picks things up as Kupp had a 37. Not opening a can of worms here as the Wonderlic isn't IQ but it's still a sign we signed some very slow learners under Fisher. Like our #2 pick from App. St. and GRob. Maybe we get a new begining with some smarter players. What a challenge McVay has ahead of him to teach routes to Tavon. Shame our offensive coaches up to this new bunch were just not serious NFL .

What's funny is that some of you choose to overlook Tavon's ACTUAL history of learning football to cite a test score that means nothing.

Tavon learned and got on the field in Schottys Offense without any big issues, and by many various accounts Schottys offense is not easy to learn.

If he was as stupid as you like to suggest, no way he plays multiple positions in college or the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All I know we as Rams fan tend to over value our players because we have had so few great ones over the years ....
WOOOOOOOOOOOO! This^^ is only True in recent years!! The Rams have had a lot of GREAT Players at every position you can think of! Just name the position I'll give you Names!!
It has ONLY been in recent history that they have been Fewer and Further in between!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

For some reason we also abandoned Harkey as acting FB for much of last season where in 2015 he proved valuable to the running game as a blocker.

…..

Legend
I'm a fan too and I appreciate production. 4 seasons in and we have a good idea of what TA is capable of doing and it isn't enough. The numbers are of a mediocre 3rd WR. Effort is great but with the 5th season approaching insisting upon production is reasonable.

@bnw you offer your wisdom as if this entire board has not had these discussions before. Its very difficult to find a new spin for Tavon's lack of (insert anything you like here) and add it to the trail we've created here. However, if you do find a new way to enlighten us on Tavon's value, please do feel free to share.

Before you get to searching however....just take a peek at Tavons cap number, the options we have soon, and the cadre of young legs we have added to the recieving ranks. If you can do basic math, you may find that all adds up to a do or die situation for the young speedster. Until then....try to remain calm and wish him well. After all, its benefits all of us if he is electrifying.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WOOOOOOOOOOOO! This^^ is only True in recent years!! The Rams have had a lot of GREAT Players at every position you can think of! Just name the position I'll give you Names!!
It has ONLY been in recent history that they have been Fewer and Further in between!
I did actually mean the last few years .... my bad ... look at the talent devoid teams that SJ struggled on

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand all the Tavon Bashing! A word to the wise, be careful. you might be eating a lot of Crow by the end of the year!!(y);)
Nothing would make me happier! But he like a lot of others has a lot to prove :)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tavon's wrist injury was never explained. When did it happen and what was the extent of the injury? What caused it and when did it happen?

If this was something ongoing or happened some time ago, why didn't they do the surgery sooner so he wouldn't miss OTA's?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So many guys just overlook that 2015 season where Tavon had almost 1000 total yards and 10 touchdowns. He was supposed to build off that year and instead they decided to not hand the ball off to him last season. He's still the same player and is capable of putting up 1200 yards and 12-15 touchdowns every year. Not sure what else you want. He's not a #1 receiver and was not drafted as such. But there is only 1-2 guys who can do what he does. Receiving, running and returning.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tavon's wrist injury was never explained. When did it happen and what was the extent of the injury? What caused it and when did it happen?

If this was something ongoing or happened some time ago, why didn't they do the surgery sooner so he wouldn't miss OTA's?

Tavon broke his wrist at the club, when he should have been learning the playbook, because he is stupid. He clearly lacks heart and doesnt respect the game.
He did it a while ago but waited for surgery so he could get out of OTAs, because he is lazy.

bnw

Pro Bowler
@bnw you offer your wisdom as if this entire board has not had these discussions before. Its very difficult to find a new spin for Tavon's lack of (insert anything you like here) and add it to the trail we've created here. However, if you do find a new way to enlighten us on Tavon's value, please do feel free to share.

Before you get to searching however....just take a peek at Tavons cap number, the options we have soon, and the cadre of young legs we have added to the recieving ranks. If you can do basic math, you may find that all adds up to a do or die situation for the young speedster. Until then....try to remain calm and wish him well. After all, its benefits all of us if he is electrifying.

I tried to contrast TA's value with that of Amendola. If I didn't make the case for value with that example then this :banghead: is not how I choose to start my day. My understanding of leads me to the conclusion that because TA can be "electrifying" he was drafted as the shiny piece misplaced piece on a very dull chess board.