Tavon Austin has wrist surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Amendola had more receiving yards in his 4 seasons with the Rams and his catch% with the Rams is far superior to TA's.

Amendola?
The guy who had a functional QB and played in a system that at least occasionally looked like an NFL offense?

Taking contracts out of the question, but sticking with the apples and oranges comparisons, Tavon could come back this year and play exactly like Danny and his detractors would complain about him being an injury prone one trick pony without enough speed...
Danny could come back this year and if he played exactly like Tavon he would be a fan favorite imo.

TA now a wrist injury?:baghead:
Oh jeez... not a minor offseason surgery!!!

Look at the bright side! Now is a great time to start working on the Tavon is injury prone narrative!!!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Learning Sean McVay's playbook will be an absolutely daunting challenge for (wonderlic test "7")Tavon Austin.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand all the Tavon Bashing! A word to the wise, be careful. you might be eating a lot of Crow by the end of the year!!(y);)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good luck to Tavon. Let's hope that his wrist is better by the start of the season. I know that he's going to put in the work needed to succeed and then some.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@badnews , I can only speak for myself, but I agree with what I think it's being pointed at here: it would be better for the team to have another 1000 yard (our close to it) receiver who keeps the offense on the field and some anonymous third stringer performing average at punt returns, than a guy who isn't good at any position but occasionally breaks a long punt return. And we're leaning on him to, not necessarily be a starter but, be a large part of the offense. And he hasn't done that yet.

And for what it's worth, plenty of people have expressed concern with Gurley, the offensive line, the backup wide receivers, the quarterback, and the tight ends. I'm fact, I don't think anyone on the team hasn't got at least some measure of doubt expressed about them. The reason that additional frustration exists for Austin is that even at his best, he isn't the kind of player the team needed for the last 4 years. The offense needed to be on the field more, extending drives, keeping the defense fresh, and scoring points. A player like again is great if you have a competent offense that can stay on the field. If you can't, then a lightening fast touchdown just wears out your own defense more. It's not Austin's fault, but the blame game doesn't make the situation any different.

That's why I'm looking forward to this year where we can hopefully sustain a few more drives each game and Austin's quick scoring ability will be a unequivocal blessing instead of a pyrrhic victory.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I have no problem with fans questioning whether CAP expenditure meets productivity. In another world, we might have two players at the same cost of one TA performing at higher levels. This isn't necessarily all on TA either, his coaching as well as many other players may have very well been mediocre at best. Now, it's a brave new world, new coaches and competition to stir the blood, ... if McVay can get out of Austin what he got out of DeSean Jackson or Jamison Crowder, then we can put to rest some of the concern over liability, if not, TA may be looking at becoming a CAP casualty. jmo.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Amendola?
The guy who had a functional QB and played in a system that at least occasionally looked like an NFL offense?

Taking contracts out of the question, but sticking with the apples and oranges comparisons, Tavon could come back this year and play exactly like Danny and his detractors would complain about him being an injury prone one trick pony without enough speed...
Danny could come back this year and if he played exactly like Tavon he would be a fan favorite imo.

Oh jeez... not a minor offseason surgery!!!

Look at the bright side! Now is a great time to start working on the Tavon is injury prone narrative!!!

I have to again point out the value to the team of an Amendola compared to an Austin. Value. Austin a first round pick. Amendola, undrafted free agent the Rams signed off the Cowboys practice squad. Thats why Amendola is a fan favorite. Value.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have to again point out the value to the team of an Amendola compared to an Austin. Value. Austin a first round pick. Amendola, undrafted free agent the Rams signed off the Cowboys practice squad. Thats why Amendola is a fan favorite. Value.

Yeah... I know what value means. Thanks.

I have to again point out that I said "taking contracts out..."

I don't criticize players for things they can't control, like what they are paid or where they are drafted.
Instead I focus on what they bring to the team and the effort they give.

Maybe that's why I think Austin is a lot of fun to watch and am happy he is one of the players on our team?

I'm not a GM, I am a fan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Feel good stories about undrafted, low drafted or successful walk-ons will always be crowd pleasers, makes us think we all have a chance if we work hard. The story of Vince Papale in 'Invincible' played by Mark Wahlberg, and of course Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, trying and finally playing for Notre Dame, these are the stories that play hardest on our emotions, for good reason. Finding value is what scouts and GM's are paid for, and fans will always cheer on an underdog that proves his detractors wrong, it's about as American as apple pie. Guys like Amendola, Warner, even the dreaded Brady make people believe in ; 'if only ... '

Value can be found anywhere & everywhere, whether it be a first rounder becoming a 'franchise' type player and HOF'er, or a street guy who just makes an impact, these are the guys we root for. Those who don't meet expectations may struggle with confidence, especially in this Facebook, twitter media age where there is no hiding out, where your 'value' is beaten like a piñata very publicly. With money and fame, choices must be made, you deal with it and run to the bank laughing, or you take it personal and lash out. The public can be very mean, but most are very forgiving, ... when it comes to most football fans, it's 'what have you done for me lately', and in a world where CAP, wealth and productivity meets head on, you either perform or move on. It's not pretty if you invest yourself in a player that may not be quite up to the task at hand, but so goes the world of professional sports. jmo.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Yeah... I know what value means. Thanks.

I have to again point out that I said "taking contracts out..."

I don't criticize players for things they can't control, like what they are paid or where they are drafted.
Instead I focus on what they bring to the team and the effort they give.

Maybe that's why I think Austin is a lot of fun to watch and am happy he is one of the players on our team?

I'm not a GM, I am a fan.

I'm a fan too and I appreciate production. 4 seasons in and we have a good idea of what TA is capable of doing and it isn't enough. The numbers are of a mediocre 3rd WR. Effort is great but with the 5th season approaching insisting upon production is reasonable.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm a fan too and I appreciate production. 4 seasons in and we have a good idea of what TA is capable of doing and it isn't enough. The numbers are of a mediocre 3rd WR. Effort is great but with the 5th season approaching insisting upon production is reasonable.

Do we have a good idea of what Tavon is/could be, based on production?

Because as far as I can tell, Tavon has been playing in a horribly ineffective offense with ineffective coaches and without the kind of QB play that is necessary for any reciever to produce.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Do we have a good idea of what Tavon is/could be, based on production?

Because as far as I can tell, Tavon has been playing in a horribly ineffective offense with ineffective coaches and without the kind of QB play that is necessary for any reciever to produce.

For a WR if the ball is within reach you need to catch it. When rushing you can argue line play and play selection. TA is fast. Everyone got that memo in 2013. Rams need much more.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really think it's odd that TA is referred to as a bust by some based only on his receiving yards. And it is laughable to compare Danny favorably to TA. I liked Danny but in no way was the overall weapon that is TA. TA has almost twice as many TDs as Danny did in his time with us, TA has played on an offense that to be very generous was inept at best, that has produced exactly one 1000 yard receiver in those four years and has always ranked at the bottom of the league. Several coaches have talked about how they have to game plan for TA. I've never heard that about Danny - not once.

TA is not a WR - he's a weapon. A very poorly utilized weapon. We all heard Fish talk about how after what we saw TA do in 2015 in a still pathetic offense, we would see his role increase. Instead we saw almost not plays called for him and rarely even saw him used as a decoy that worked so well in breaking Gurley loose. It was baffling.

So while TA has not produced like we would have liked to see from a #8 pick, I can't wait to see what he can do in a real offense. If he can't do it with McV, I'm sure McV will cut him loose and that will be that. Personally, I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good luck to Tavon. Let's hope that his wrist is better by the start of the season. I know that he's going to put in the work needed to succeed and then some.
He's suppose to be ready for training camp and only miss OTA's

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
unless he plays out of his mind or the new WRs look like trash, hes likely gone at the end of the season anyway

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I just love the Tavon-bashing. So predictable. So tiresome.

Can I just point out a couple of things:

1. Contract - probably not down to him, but more to do with his agent, but if any player is going to be given a huge contract, they're hardly going to turn it down. Does ANY player deserve the obscenely massive contract that they're given just for playing a sport. Its a one word answer guys, NO. Learn to live with it, it's part of the sport. I would put money on him being snapped up by any other team with a healthy cheque book.
2. Stats - This is the first season, since his college years, that he's going to have an offensive system worth talking about. Our O has been abysmal in recent years, thats not down to TA.
3. Threat - like it or not, the guy has the potential to take it to the house in ANY game, thats why DC's have to scheme to contain him.

and more importantly

4. Operation - I hope it was a success and that the damage has been fixed and Tavon heal's well - thats the important thing here, we don't want to be without TA's contribution, or POTENTIAL contribution in McVay's system.