Tavon Austin disappearing from Rams offense/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
I frame things in a certain way?

Look at this guys history......he has a pattern and its not a good one. He is the death of QBs. Chad Pennington comes off a fantastic year and then in Schottenheimers first year there he ends up starting the season at 1-7 and getting benched for Kellen Clemons.... Pennington then gets shipped off to Miami away from Schotty....where he proceeds to take a team that had won ONE game the prior year to the playoffs.

Then comes Favre. One of the best QBs ever to play the game, who under Schotty's amazing tutelage had 22 ints leading the league...then goes to Minnesota and has 33 tds and 7 ints the next year and almost takes his team to the Super Bowl. Enter Sanchez. Rinse and repeat...a QB who under him ends up as the worst 4 year starter in NFL history.....but Schotty this time he had a defense that was so good it almost carried that team to the promised land.

Only once has his offense ever been in the top 10 in scoring.

Again, agree to disagree. After so many QBs he has done horribly with, along with offenses that repeatedly cannot move the ball....I see a common denominator.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WvuIN02 said:
Well sure. We all do. That's the point of conveying an opinion and fortifying it.

Ram_of_Old

Austin will make his mark. Give him time. We all thought he was going to be an immediate success and just run away from everyone. He is undersized and finding the transition from college to the NFL is not as easy as he thought.

Give him time to adjust and he will be putting up some good numbers. I doubt that Fisher is going to give up on him. If he is on the field, defenses have to adjust for his explosiveness.

Ram_of_Old

The Rammer said:
When the Great Isaac Bruce was asked about Brian Quick and how long it takes for almost all WR's to get going in the NFL he said it takes until the start of year 2 or 3 to get acclimated to have a full impact and learn the speed and the play book. He also said it took him until his 2nd year to get going .

1994 rookie year. Games Started 0 Games 12 Rec 21 Yds 272 TD 3
1995 Games started 16 Games 16 Rec 119 Yds 1781 13 TD
1996 Games Started 16 Games 16 Rec 84 Yds 1338 7 TD

I'm not to Worried about Tavon Austin I'm more worried about Brian S. and his idiotic play calling. Down by 2-3 scores : Brian S. quote "lets run DR up the middle for a three and out a few times" -_- ............freaking Inbred Jed

Ditto

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ram_of_Old said:
Austin will make his mark. Give him time. We all thought he was going to be an immediate success and just run away from everyone. He is undersized and finding the transition from college to the NFL is not as easy as he thought.

...and that is the point of contention.

Some look at TA and say he's dropped too many passes, he dances too much, he's taking time to adjust.

Others, like myself, say that a 13% drop to target ratio (according to X's source Pro Football Focus) is actually very good. He dances because the play design or execution left him surrounded and he's doing what he can. When there is an opportunity, a hole, a single defender, there is little dancing and he tears it up.

I personally think under a different OC, he could have exploded starting game one. I see nothing in the play design or play calling that tells me they understand how to use TA. I see nothing in TAs performance that tells me he has the dropsies or is having trouble acclimating to the NFL.

His burst speed and athleticism are way over the top.

Time, IMHO, will not fix the TA issue unless Schotty has an awakening.

We'll see. Time will tell us who has the correct take on this. Either they start getting him the ball in space or he becomes an after thought on this O OR they keep playing him as they are and he breaks out because he did need time to adjust.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I get the idea of throwing to TA quickly at the LOS on screens,quick hitters etc...but my issue is,thats been the majority of what i've seen Shotty draw up for TA. Mix it up.

WAY too many plays designed at the LOS. I'd like to see more intermediate stuff designed to hit Tavon in stride going East/West where he can get slippery.

Also,line him up in the backfield with Stacy or DRich in a pro set occasionally when Harkey isn't in there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WvuIN02 said:

Look at this guys history......he has a pattern and its not a good one. He is the death of QBs. Chad Pennington comes off a fantastic year and then in Schottenheimers first year there he ends up starting the season at 1-7 and getting benched for Kellen Clemons.... Pennington then gets shipped off to Miami away from Schotty....where he proceeds to take a team that had won ONE game the prior year to the playoffs.

Yep, you do. Actually, Pennington was benched in his second year in Schotty's system which would make Schotty's first year that "fantastic year". So yea, I think the bold holds true again here.

Then comes Favre. One of the best QBs ever to play the game, who under Schotty's amazing tutelage had 22 ints leading the league...then goes to Minnesota and has 33 tds and 7 ints the next year and almost takes his team to the Super Bowl. Enter Sanchez. Rinse and repeat...a QB who under him ends up as the worst 4 year starter in NFL history.....but Schotty this time he had a defense that was so good it almost carried that team to the promised land.

Yep, doing it again.

Favre was on pace for 29 TDs to 19 Ints before his torn bicep and the Jets were scoring 29 PPG.

But it's probably Schotty's fault that Favre tore his bicep...right?

And yea, enter Sanchez who looked like a starting caliber QB under Schottenheimer and the Jets offense managed to rank average to above average in PPG during Sanchez's ENTIRE tenure with Schotty.

And you want to talk promised land? You conveniently leave out Sanchez's 94.3 QB Rating in the playoffs. That probably contributed a little to it.

Again, it's the way you frame things. Your arguments are disingenuous.

You want to agree to disagree...fine. You don't have to agree with me. It's understandable why you wouldn't like him. I'm not a big fan of his.

But don't come in here and make disingenuous arguments. I'm going to call you on it every single time.