Tampa native view of Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For the remainder of this season Barron's only real use will be as a box safety. He should be able to help us quickly in run support, shadowing a running QB, etc. He hits and tackles very well but expecting him to learn our defense and be the coverage guy would be crazy, I doubt that's what they're thinking.

I'd guess we see TJ start covering more, doing more of the FS role. Barron up close stuffing the run.

After next year's camp who knows. But for now the run defense got a boost, as well as the SS depth.

iced

well we will have to agree to disagree. Because from what ive seen No he isnt good at playing deep or on shifty receivers but ne does great vs Te.

From a Niners fans perspective:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/what-49ers-fans-are-saying-games-1-and-2.31052/page-7
Rams traded for Mark Barron. Hope he plays this Sunday. Last time he played against us.
ibsvZ2knlZJ025.gif

When the Rams played against Barron I had similar thoughts

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Great post. Thanks for your insight, @tbux !

I agree...I really like to see an honest opinion of a guy from a fan of his former team...Too often when a guy is traded or released it's instantly "Good, he sucked from the minute he was born anyway" ect,................

iced

lol wow @ lovie smith

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-takes-a-jab-at-mark-barrons-passive-comment/

Now-Rams safety Mark Barron took a shot at his former team on the way out the door, so they returned fire.

After Barron referred to the Buccaneers Defense as “passive,” Bucs coach Lovie Smith took a dig at the former first round pick.

Via Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, Smith was asked about wide receiver Mike Evanstrying to chase down Vikings linebackerAnthony Barr during last week’s game-winning overtime fumble return.

“The effort he gave, he looked like a safety on that play,” Smith said. “One that wasn’t real passive on that play, going down and trying to strip the ball.”

Zing.

Then asked specifically about Barron’s comments, Smith defended his style.

“I’m not going to talk about any players that aren’t here anymore,” Smith said. “Our safety position that we play, one of the requirements isn’t for you to be passive, I will say that.”

That must be why the Bucs were willing to take a fourth- and a sixth-round pick in exchange for a guy who was the seventh overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, a choice not made while Smith was there.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
lol wow @ lovie smith

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-takes-a-jab-at-mark-barrons-passive-comment/

Now-Rams safety Mark Barron took a shot at his former team on the way out the door, so they returned fire.

After Barron referred to the Buccaneers Defense as “passive,” Bucs coach Lovie Smith took a dig at the former first round pick.

Via Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, Smith was asked about wide receiver Mike Evanstrying to chase down Vikings linebackerAnthony Barr during last week’s game-winning overtime fumble return.

“The effort he gave, he looked like a safety on that play,” Smith said. “One that wasn’t real passive on that play, going down and trying to strip the ball.”

Zing.

Then asked specifically about Barron’s comments, Smith defended his style.

“I’m not going to talk about any players that aren’t here anymore,” Smith said. “Our safety position that we play, one of the requirements isn’t for you to be passive, I will say that.”

That must be why the Bucs were willing to take a fourth- and a sixth-round pick in exchange for a guy who was the seventh overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, a choice not made while Smith was there.
I hope Barron reads that and it lights a fire in him. OTOH I hate the idea that we got a player who he and his former coach would be at odds ,it seldom indicates a player with a sterling attitude.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
From a Niners fans perspective:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/what-49ers-fans-are-saying-games-1-and-2.31052/page-7

When the Rams played against Barron I had similar thoughts

Looked like the QB had 5 seconds....I have faith in Barron...Quite a bit more than McLeod...And he's a solid tackler, something IMO a safeties primary responsibility should be..as well as, when deep, stay deeper than the deepest man...Not impressed by Lovie's comments either...deflect all you want, that team played harder for Sciano...And he's the fool that grabbed the Chicago QB...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
And this is another reason why fisher is not a good coach. Lets get a player who hits hard. How about a player who is a decent size, covers well, and can make tackles. Its not rocket science.

SierraRam

Recreational User
It sounds like we picked up a guy to play a role that Mo Alexander has failed to fill... so far

Alan

Legend
Amitar able to twitch his nose a la Bewitched:
Lets get a player who hits hard. How about a player who is a decent size, covers well, and can make tackles. Its not rocket science.
I agree, it just pisses me off that we didn't just pick one of the Safety tree cause you, they're so easy to get once they're ripe and fall to the ground. :LOL: ;)

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Do you guys think that the Barron pick up is because of the way Ogletree has been playing. Maybe keeping the lbs closer to los ? I thought the upside to Tree was to cover the mobile QBs we have in the West and now with a couple of the best QBs coming up on the schedule, maybe this pick up could be a blessing.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think we need to just wait with Barron, because it definitely *seems* he was just not a good fit in Tampa. Fisher believes he can be a good fit here and obviously Williams does too. Let's give it time and see what happens.

I don't think statement like "bad in coverage" apply unless you know what the coverage should be. How many times does a guy end up looking bad in a defensive play, only to find out during review that someone else should have been helping in coverage, or something like that?

Barron is in his 3rd year and has played only 37 games folks. :cautious:

Listen to Barron talk about the Tampa defense, and make up your own mind about this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...k-barron-lovie-smiths-defense-was-too-passive

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't get this trade
Confused......

Nothing anyone has said has shed light on why we have 3 box safeties