Tampa native view of Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
I am curious to see how we end up using Barron. From someone who sees him a lot- he has some clear deficiencies. He is not a very smart player, often making mental mistakes. He is bad in coverage, and TE's routinely kill him. I do think the system in Tampa is not a favorable one for him. He is a very aggressive player- see ball, kill person with it type player. In the box, he is at home. He is a thumper, and instinctual. He is not a heady player however- so if you can give him a clear job- he can execute it. if you ask him to read, and do multiple things- he cannot with any consistency. The Tampa 2 is a passive system asking him to make many reads, cover etc- and that is his weakness. If we can use him in an aggressive way, blitzing, in the box shutting down the run etc- ie see ball, kill ball, we may have something. He is a very good athlete- but he has his weaknesses. I do think this system is much better suited for him. He will also be a good ST player I would think. If we go to more of a 3 safety, 2 lb system at times- I can see him thriving. If we ask him to make a bunch of reads, and cover TE's etc- we will get the same thing we saw in Tampa. Lets see how it plays out.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I am curious to see how we end up using Barron. From someone who sees him a lot- he has some clear deficiencies. He is not a very smart player, often making mental mistakes. He is bad in coverage, and TE's routinely kill him. I do think the system in Tampa is not a favorable one for him. He is a very aggressive player- see ball, kill person with it type player. In the box, he is at home. He is a thumper, and instinctual. He is not a heady player however- so if you can give him a clear job- he can execute it. if you ask him to read, and do multiple things- he cannot with any consistency. The Tampa 2 is a passive system asking him to make many reads, cover etc- and that is his weakness. If we can use him in an aggressive way, blitzing, in the box shutting down the run etc- ie see ball, kill ball, we may have something. He is a very good athlete- but he has his weaknesses. I do think this system is much better suited for him. He will also be a good ST player I would think. If we go to more of a 3 safety, 2 lb system at times- I can see him thriving. If we ask him to make a bunch of reads, and cover TE's etc- we will get the same thing we saw in Tampa. Lets see how it plays out.
is TJ a better version of this dude? if hes a thumper like TJ im fine playing 3 safeties just dont give him complicated responsibilities.

tbux

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they are the same player. I think he has more potential than TJ. I don't think either can cover- so its going to be interesting to see this play out. Im guessing Joyner is the FS for now.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
TJ did a pretty good job covering Jimmy graham last season when he intercepted brees. Was that a one off? I don't watch individual players enough to notice a pattern unless it's really obvious

fearsomefour

Legend
TJ did a pretty good job covering Jimmy graham last season when he intercepted brees. Was that a one off? I don't watch individual players enough to notice a pattern unless it's really obvious
I enjoy line play for a couple of reasons. First, it is imho the best part of the game and second it is easy to view and review on tv. Unless you are at the game it is difficult to see enough of what the Dbs are doing to form an opinion to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they are the same player. I think he has more potential than TJ. I don't think either can cover- so its going to be interesting to see this play out. Im guessing Joyner is the FS for now.

TJ was good in coverage at USC. his last season his position changed and it didn't suit him.

You make Barron sound a bit like a caveman. I have noticed that the Rams have a few of these types of super athletic guys that are not great at the mental part of the game. I wonder if this is a product of just taking what they can get to upgrade the roster as soon as possible, or if Snead and Fisher just fall in love with Measurables and figure the rest can be coached......I have never been a fan of that approach.

tbux

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thinking has to be you can teach technique- cant teach natural talent, speed, measurable etc.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Actually an "in the box" guy is a great fit for Greg's defense. We leave our corners out to dry all the time but I think that's the confidence Greg has in Gaines and Jenkins. RB's slipping through should be a fairly rare sight because we play so close to the line.

I really like Greg's mentality, he overloads QB's. But he also over loads our defense, too.

That KC game was very well played by the defense in the first half. What in the heck happened in the second half is beyond me.

I blame the injuries and the fact it was breezy with a soft paw QB. That's really tough to overcome, defense broke. Too hot for the offense to collapse.

Alan

Legend
LumberTubs looking at one aspect of a FS's responsibilities:
TJ did a pretty good job covering Jimmy graham last season when he intercepted brees. Was that a one off?
That was him in man coverage. I think Barron is OK in man coverage too. The problem as I see it, is when one of them is asked to be our last line of defense that that takes instincts and skills that I don't think either one of them are very good at. Much like how JJ is much better in man (when he;s not peeking) than he is in zone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That was him in man coverage. I think Barron is OK in man coverage too. The problem as I see it, is when one of them is asked to be our last line of defense that that takes instincts and skills that I don't think either one of them are very good at. Much like how JJ is much better in man (when he;s not peeking) than he is in zone.
Good thing TJ has such good ball skills. :fighting:

iced

is TJ a better version of this dude? if hes a thumper like TJ im fine playing 3 safeties just dont give him complicated responsibilities.

TJ is a much,much better version of Barron. His instincts, his coverage, his reading, etc.

Barron's not as bad as say Justin King in coverage, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Craig Dahl is better in coverage than he is...

On one hand, Fisher is a DB coach and should be able to help develop him...on the other hand, Greg Williams has managed to take a strength and turn it into a weakness.

If TJ wasn't here then i could see how the barron's trade would be beneficial past this season - but with his job essentially already being filled, i think we're gonna wish we had that 4th rounder (which is really a low 3rd rounder with how high we'll be drafting)

lockdnram21

Legend
TJ is a much,much better version of Barron. His instincts, his coverage, his reading, etc.

Barron's not as bad as say Justin King in coverage, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Craig Dahl is better in coverage than he is...

On one hand, Fisher is a DB coach and should be able to help develop him...on the other hand, Greg Williams has managed to take a strength and turn it into a weakness.

If TJ wasn't here then i could see how the barron's trade would be beneficial past this season - but with his job essentially already being filled, i think we're gonna wish we had that 4th rounder (which is really a low 3rd rounder with how high we'll be drafting)
if Tjs so much better why was he a 3rd rou d pick? i think Tj will be our Fs. Mcleod is a free agent after this year. Barron is good at covering te.

iced

if Tjs so much better why was he a 3rd rou d pick? i think Tj will be our Fs. Mcleod is a free agent after this year. Barron is good at covering te.

Disagree - Barron isn't good in coverage at all. He's a box safety/blitzer - there's a reason he was traded from one of the worst defenses in the league

lockdnram21

Legend
Disagree - Barron isn't good in coverage at all. He's a box safety/blitzer - there's a reason he was traded from one of the worst defenses in the league

well we will have to agree to disagree. Because from what ive seen No he isnt good at playing deep or on shifty receivers but ne does great vs Te.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

if they're rolling a lot of 3 safety and nickel stuff than I think TJ is gonna get a big upgrade in coverage and responsibilities. Barron in the box McLeod in coverage and TJ playing the joker role. idk Williams is nuts I could be way off

goosekilla

UDFA
Name
Jeremy
Get on YouTube and check this guy out. I've read the good, and I've read the bad, I'm freaking pumped! People will be scared of our safety's.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I tend to think Barron takes TJ's place and TJ bumps out Mcleod for the FS spot though I don't know how soon this will happen since Barron has only practiced for one day. I think having them plus Joyner gives Williams tons of options as far as blitzing is concerned and maybe not relying to heavily on our linebackers.

Tweed335

UDFA
Personally, I see TJ and AB being here with virtually the same skill set by design. It's no secret by the staff that they want the safeties to not be SS and FS but like the LB's, play Left Safety and Right Safety, interchangeable. So, imo, depending on the offensive formation we'll probably see one or the other high or low. But knowing GW's tendencies with his use of Roman Harper in Nola, if Barron's strengths are in the box around the line of scrimmage then in certain situations he could be the joker, blitzing at times or hanging around the line of scrimmage then dropping back in coverage in other times.

I just hope one of our coordinators will properly utilize the talent on this team.