Tallest building to hang from an asteroid while orbiting earth?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fascinating idea. I have to wonder how the various countries this ticking time bomb plans on swinging over will feel about approving this thing. Seems like a nightmare.

However... I think it will be a very very long time before we catch an asteroid. Talk is cheap... so I am super sceptical.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Straight science fiction as far as I am concerned and impossible...Good concept if your writing a book. But asteroids don't consistently orbit Earth for they may hit other space junk.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fascinating idea. I have to wonder how the various countries this ticking time bomb plans on swinging over will feel about approving this thing. Seems like a nightmare.

However... I think it will be a very very long time before we catch an asteroid. Talk is cheap... so I am super sceptical.
Yeah they didn't mention sewage nor waste disposal. Bombs away?:rant:

bnw

Pro Bowler
Straight science fiction as far as I am concerned and impossible...Good concept if your writing a book. But asteroids don't consistently orbit Earth for they may hit other space junk.

Good point. Even a fleck of paint hitting the structure at orbital velocity could cause damage. Over time who knows? Would have to be shielded for radiation exposure too.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Good point. Even a fleck of paint hitting the structure at orbital velocity could cause damage. Over time who knows? Would have to be shielded for radiation exposure too.

I honestly could see something like the Jetsons.
JETSONS-THE%2BSPACE%2BCAR.png

bluecoconuts

Legend
So what happens when you need to go somewhere for an emergency or you know, work, and you're in South America?

Pretty silly, and very costly.. Possible? Sure we know the science behind it, but practical? Not a chance, it would be entirely too expensive. Even if we figured out a way to do it and have it cost practically nothing, there's still tons of safety issues and things like that to deal with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure airplanes would love a flying building too. It's completely not practical. You have to parachute out? How do you get back in? Who wants to live in a place they can never leave without extreme inconvenience? How do you get groceries?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's the Daily Mail. The most corrupt, offensive, misleading 'newspaper' on the planet. I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

bnw

Pro Bowler
So what happens when you need to go somewhere for an emergency or you know, work, and you're in South America?

Pretty silly, and very costly.. Possible? Sure we know the science behind it, but practical? Not a chance, it would be entirely too expensive. Even if we figured out a way to do it and have it cost practically nothing, there's still tons of safety issues and things like that to deal with.

You're thinking like you're spending your own money. Our government has already hollowed out a huge complex under the Ozarks for when TSHTF. I can see them wanting to physically be above us to complement their belief that they are above us. That is all the practicality they need.

About safety, we have drones now that are essentially unregulated and can fall from the sky anywhere. While the building itself would be huge.....imagine the task of bringing an asteroid within earth orbit and what can go wrong.....in addition to hanging a huge building beneath it. I appreciate big thinking but damn!

bnw

Pro Bowler
I'm sure airplanes would love a flying building too. It's completely not practical. You have to parachute out? How do you get back in? Who wants to live in a place they can never leave without extreme inconvenience? How do you get groceries?

Perhaps trolling over the pastures with very large treble hooks to snag cattle? Or don't go near animal husbandry floors 115-118!:shocking:

bluecoconuts

Legend
task of bringing an asteroid within earth orbit and what can go wrong

That's the easier part, we're talking about doing that now and putting it around the moon so we can better study it, and pulling in some to be used as mines since they have trillions of dollars worth of minerals on them.

bnw

Pro Bowler
That's the easier part, we're talking about doing that now and putting it around the moon so we can better study it, and pulling in some to be used as mines since they have trillions of dollars worth of minerals on them.

Except what can go wrong is losing control of said asteroid and having it impact with earth creating a minor inconvenience known as a mass extinction event.;)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Except what can go wrong is losing control of said asteroid and having it impact with earth creating a minor inconvenience known as a mass extinction event.;)

Nah, you can lock it into orbit and if done correctly that risk is much smaller, but you need to find the perfect size to work, which is pretty hard.. Of course the risk is even smaller if it's around the moon, which is why that's our primary goal when we do lasso an asteroid. As long as it's falling fast enough it shouldn't fall out of orbit, assuming of course you have some stabilization rockets to help if something knocks it out.

The math is really tricky though, you have to adjust for the size, the weight of the building fully loaded, the distance, how wind resistance will change according to the distance, which is going to put a lot of strain on the building, etc.

It's just a huge waste of time and effort.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing that is only a matter of time is a space elevator. The sheer cost of boosting from our gravity well is insanely high, and even with the assumption that better propulsion systems loom in the near future a geosynchronous elevator would be enormously useful and cheaper over the long term. Technology is not as far off as many think.

They also have large scale type concepts like Launch Loops, some mind blowing stuff. Here's some cool links...

Space Elevator by 2035

Launch Loop