Talks Between Rams, Saffold to Intensify this Week : PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week
Posted by Mike Florio

Although the Rams didn’t use the franchise tag or the resurrected transition tag on offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the Rams continue to make keeping him a top priority.

Per a league source, talks between the team and Saffold are expected to intensify as the week unfolds. To date, productive discussions have occurred.

The Rams retain the exclusive ability to negotiate with Saffold until Saturday. At that point, a three-day legal tampering window opens.

That said, plenty of impermissible tampering is and has been happening. And it will continue to happen.

A second-round pick in 2010, Saffold started all 16 games as a rookie. Since then, he has missed 17 of 48 games due to injury. Saffold nevertheless has proven to be a versatile component of the offensive line when healthy, and with left tackle Jake Long still recovering from a torn ACL, the Rams hope to keep Saffold around.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/talks-between-rams-saffold-to-intensify-this-week/

Attachments

• rodger-saffold-03192013.jpg
    rodger-saffold-03192013.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Thanks, Rambill!!!

I'm sure Snead and Fisher will convince Saffold to stay-- they have a way with the vets. How many people actually thought we would sign Long? He's been hurt last season, but better than any LOT we've had in years.

Also, who says Rodger wants to be an LT? Yes, earlier in his career, but I am sure he had fun playing guard, dominating, rather than being mediocre at OT. Money will come into play, or course, but other factors will as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thanks, Rambill!!!

I'm sure Snead and Fisher will convince Saffold to stay-- they have a way with the vets. How many people actually thought we would sign Long? He's been hurt last season, but better than any LOT we've had in years.

Also, who says Rodger wants to be an LT? Yes, earlier in his career, but I am sure he had fun playing guard, dominating, rather than being mediocre at OT. Money will come into play, or course, but other factors will as well.

Saffold is actually a good LT. It's just when he extends on plays that he gets beat, he gets hurt. That won't happen at guard.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I just got really excited thinking of Robinson and Saffold at guards. I think I just channeled Zac Stacy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Man, i hope we don't over pay him to stay here. I like Rodger and i like what he can do on the field but he just isn't reliable enough to retain at a big money pricetag.

Alan

Legend
That's a fear many of us have Mojo. It's the same for me as when we signed Jake Long. Our O-line is probably going to be a nail biter all year long no matter who we end up with.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
That's a fear many of us have Mojo. It's the same for me as when we signed Jake Long. Our O-line is probably going to be a nail biter all year long no matter who we end up with.

Agree, I can't remember the last time the Rams OL stayed healthy:(

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree, I can't remember the last time the Rams OL stayed healthy:(
Me either! Just since Fishers arrival the OL has gone through a series of injury after injury. Last season four starters went down to injury & never returned to that starting post. Dahl/Wells/Saffold/Long. Fisher has only one OL'er under contract who has no medical red flags or extensive injury history.
Starters & replacements in 2012 & 2013
OLT- Saffold- Hunter- Long- Barksdale- Nsekhe- Williams
OLG- Turner- Watkins- Ojinnaka- Smith- Williams & Washington.
Center-Wells-Turner-Barnes.
ORG- Dahl- Smith- Williams- Saffold
ORT- Richardson- Saffold- Barksdale

Red=Injured Green= Not here

Here's our current under contract Ram offensive line. Yes its truly offensive....
OLT- Long/Hooey
OLG- Washington
OC- Wells/Jones
ORG- Dahl/Persons
ORT- Barksdale

Psycho_X

Legend
I wasn't high on retaining Saffold until the salary cap rose so much in a week lol. Now we might as well retain him. We know he can play pro bowl level at guard and if we cut Dahl that would offset a decent chunk we'd pay Saffold. With the uncertainty of our line at the moment I'm all in on Saffold being retained.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Me either! Just since Fishers arrival the OL has gone through a series of injury after injury. Last season four starters went down to injury & never returned to that starting post. Dahl/Wells/Saffold/Long. Fisher has only one OL'er under contract who has no medical red flags or extensive injury history.
Starters & replacements in 2012 & 2013
OLT- Saffold- Hunter- Long- Barksdale- Nsekhe- Williams
OLG- Turner- Watkins- Ojinnaka- Smith- Williams & Washington.
Center-Wells-Turner-Barnes.
ORG- Dahl- Smith- Williams- Saffold
ORT- Richardson- Saffold- Barksdale

Red=Injured Green= Not here

Here's our current under contract Ram offensive line. Yes its truly offensive....
OLT- Long/Hooey
OLG- Washington
OC- Wells/Jones
ORG- Dahl/Persons
ORT- Barksdale

Am I evil for wondering what the whiners o would produce with that kind of bad luck?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think saffold will get a lot less than the media/a lot of guys around here believe. at the end of the day, teams are not going to ignore the fact that he has barely stayed on the field simply because he played a couple good games at guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Am I evil for wondering what the whiners o would produce with that kind of bad luck?

The 9er OL is totally different beast in comparison to the Rams OL. The 9ers utilized 3 9er first round picks on OL'ers. When you look closely it would be hard to imagine what the 9ers would like like if their OL was like the Rams OL?

OC Jonathan Goodwin has been on the field healthy for 80 straight games 3 full yrs of starting for the 9ers
OLT Joe Staley started 48 straight games & has not missed a game
ORT Anthony Davis has started 64 straight games in four years of starting
ORG Alex Boone has not missed a game the last two yrs of starting.
OLG Mike Iupati started 60 straight 9er games before getting injured.
The interior main reserve is Daniel Kilgore a 2011 9er draft pick who is pushing veteran center Goodwin to be the starter he has never been injured.

Evil?? not sure but I have no explanation why the 9ers OL could REMAIN so healthy & at the same time the Rams OL so UN-healthy???? Maybe Saffold has an injury virus and gave it to the rest? If the Rams are ever to climb from the bottom of the western divivsion of the NFC Snead & Fisher must find HEALTHY good OL'ers thus far they have failed but for one...Joe Barksdale.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The 9er OL is totally different beast in comparison to the Rams OL. The 9ers utilized 3 9er first round picks on OL'ers. When you look closely it would be hard to imagine what the 9ers would like like if their OL was like the Rams OL?

OC Jonathan Goodwin has been on the field healthy for 80 straight games 3 full yrs of starting for the 9ers
OLT Joe Staley started 48 straight games & has not missed a game
ORT Anthony Davis has started 64 straight games in four years of starting
ORG Alex Boone has not missed a game the last two yrs of starting.
OLG Mike Iupati started 60 straight 9er games before getting injured.
The interior main reserve is Daniel Kilgore a 2011 9er draft pick who is pushing veteran center Goodwin to be the starter he has never been injured.

Evil?? not sure but I have no explanation why the 9ers OL could REMAIN so healthy & at the same time the Rams OL so UN-healthy???? Maybe Saffold has an injury virus and gave it to the rest? If the Rams are ever to climb from the bottom of the western divivsion of the NFC Snead & Fisher must find HEALTHY good OL'ers thus far they have failed but for one...Joe Barksdale.

This is what I was referring to, some fan bases take team health for granted.
images

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is what I was referring to, some fan bases take team health for granted.
images
Hey I believe in sharing our wealth with other teams.....I have no issues if we would send all of our wealth of UNHEATHY virus that has been here for a long time further west..I know of three teams who I could packages too.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
All the more reason to draft a versatile guy like Robinson or Sua'Filo.....

Alan

Legend
PowayRamFan adding to my thoughts about Robinson:
All the more reason to draft a versatile guy like Robinson or Sua'Filo.....
I can't talk about Sua'Filo but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Robinson. I've been out of the loop for about a month now but here's my probably outdated take on Robinson. Dominant run blocker but a complete unknown when it comes to pass blocking. That would hold true for me whether he's playing at guard or tackle. Granted, less skill, or at least a different skill set, is required to pass block as a guard but it's still a huge requirement requirement. Obviously his ability to play center is another unknown.

What do you see in him that I haven't? I'd like to hear your insight on Sua'Filo too.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!