Taking a closer look at Tavon Austin's Week 4 wizardry vs. the Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...avon-austins-week-4-wizardry-vs-the-cardinals

Taking a closer look at Tavon Austin's Week 4 wizardry vs. the Cardinals

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
October 7, 2015 10:42 am ET

The big story coming out of the Rams win over the Cardinals on Sunday was the emergence of Todd Gurley. He is marvelous to watch in the run game and is groin-grabbingly smooth. But possibly the more interesting offensive storyline should be the performance of Tavon Austin and how the Rams used him.

Finally.

Austin was drafted in eigth overall in the 2013 NFL Draft out of West Virginia. His skill set is that of a coveted offensive NFL player: he's small and quick, making for a potential matchup nightmare with big defensive backs and elusive in open space. Use him all over the field and you have a weapon no one else who is difficult to prepare for. The Rams rarely did that his first two seasons, until Sunday.

Week 4 was only the fifth time Austin's received seven-plus targets in a game in his career. The Rams made the most out of those targets, resulting in a six-catch, 96-yard, two-touchdown day.

Most impressive was the different ways Frank Cignetti and the Rams offense got Austin involved.

In the ground game

On the Rams' first drive -- set up by Arizona fumbling a kickoff return -- Austin was utilized in the play-action game. Austin motioned underneath Nick Foles (in the pistol formation) and pretended to take the handoff. The additional fake (and maybe an expectation of a run play) helped freeze the Cardinals linebackers long enough for Gurley to leak out left and catch an 8-yard pass.

On the Rams' second possession of the game, they would motion Austin from right to left on first down, Foles handed it to him -- again -- getting him in space and letting Austin navigate his way for 8 yards.

St. Louis went back to the well on this play, giving Austin the ball around the left end again in the fourth quarter on basically the exact same play. The difference later? Gurley established himself as a really dangerous threat in the run game. Austin would pick up 12 yards.

The next play? A 52-yard run from Gurley featuring Austin in motion on a play fake.

todd-gurley-run-against-cardinals.gif

Sometimes the threat of a weapon is as important as the actual weapon.

Via the deep ball

Oh hey! Tavon can be used like, you know, a wide receiver. Cignetti sent him deep on the Rams second possession of the second quarter. Foles sat in the pocket with plenty of time, took a shot to Austin and he went up and challenged for the ball to reel in a 47-yard reception.

Foles also targeted Austin once more deep in this game.

In the screen game

On the Rams' second play of the second half, Cignetti went right back to his playmaker. Foles faked play action to Gurley and swung the ball over to Austin, who'd awaited the quick throw to the opposit side of the field:

Tavon_Austin_Screen_1.jpg

Austin caught the ball with ample blockers waiting:

Tavon_Austin_Screen_2.jpg

This resulted in a 17-yard pickup.

It doesn't always work -- two plays later the Rams kicked it to Austin in a wideout screen. If Patrick Peterson doesn't make a really nice tackle, Austin could've created a lot of yardage on second down.

Austin really showed his explosiveness on the next play after Gurley's big fourth-quarter run, catching another screen on a play that could've been a Mathieu interception and instead ended up being Austin using his quickness to pick up 9 yards. (Up 17-15 at the time it was an aggressive play call.)

In the red zone

Austin reeled in the first score of this game thanks to a smart play design from St. Louis. On a 3rd and 5 from Arizona's 12, the Rams lined up three receivers, including Austin, in a trips left formation. Jared Cook went vertical while Stedman Bailey ran a short drag route underneath, bringing Tyrann Mathieu, a guy who's typically great in a matchup like this, with him. Austin acted like he was running a dig route and then cut sharp back to the interior where he found himself wide open with more green room than the red zone should afford. There was nothing Jerraud Powers could do.

IncomparableGrimGypsymoth.gif

On Austin's second touchdown he lined up in a mini-stack underneath Cook. The Cardinals sent the house. Foles hung in there -- and credit to Benny Cunningham (yellow) for the big blitz pick up -- waiting until after Deone Bucannon finished leaping and delivered a strike to Austin running a slant across the middle. Powers made a nice effort on the ball but Austin made a better catch.

Tavon_Austin_TD_2_2.jpg

Moving Forward

There are reasons to view this performance as a breakout game from Austin. While we've seen the diminutive receiver tempt us before -- near the end of his rookie year, Austin caught a pair of passes for 138 yards and returned four punts for 145 yards, three touchdowns in all -- this game was different.

It was a combination of usage (7 targets, 6 catches), actual production in the wide receiver game and creative scheming to get the ball in his hand. If Cignetti and the Rams are willing to trust Austin like this moving forward and Gurley develops into the franchise bellcow he looked like in the second half of this game against Arizona, the Rams offense could be scary.

The Rams need to use this game plan every single week. I know it's not ball-bearings simple, but Austin is a playmaker who needs the ball in his hands. Seven targets in the pass game and two carries in the run game should be a nice bar to clear every week. This is a team needing explosion on offense to complement Gurley.

Ten touches isn't too much to ask for a former first-round pick, and with that benchmark, the Rams could now have two dynamic players -- Gurley AND Austin -- capable of taking the ball the length of the field at a moment's notice.

Tavon_Austin_TD_Rams_Offense_Video.jpg

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Austin has been one of, if not the most, dangerous offensive players on the field every week this far.

Even in the weeks the offense failed to post many points, you could hardly fault the play calling.

Cignette has been doing a good job so far and deserves recognition. With such an inexperienced o-line, things have not exactly been made easy for him.

It feels amazing to finally be free of Brian Schottenheimer. A few impressively schemed games notwithstanding, the dude was brutal.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
If you watch the highlight of the Gurley run, I'm a little disappointed in Stedman Bailey - didn't really hustle on that play to get downfield and block. If he would have just tapped or barely gotten in the way of Mathieu a little bit, that's an easy TD.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Not trying to start a fight, but two of those passes would never have happened if Bradford was still the QB, and possible three of them.

Foles has way better accuracy of course that's no secret, but he really puts the ball in a spot.

The Bailey pass would have never been thrown by Bradford either.

We have a guy under center who has some game fellas. Lookout NFC West you are officially on notice.

The Rams are back!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
If you watch the highlight of the Gurley run, I'm a little disappointed in Stedman Bailey - didn't really hustle on that play to get downfield and block. If he would have just tapped or barely gotten in the way of Mathieu a little bit, that's an easy TD.

Wow, he mailed it in. I've never seen him mail it in. If that's TA, he would have flown in and sprung Gurley.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Not trying to start a fight, but two of those passes would never have happened if Bradford was still the QB, and possible three of them.

Foles has way better accuracy of course that's no secret, but he really puts the ball in a spot.

We have a guy under center who has some game fellas. Lookout NFC West you are officially on notice.

The Rams are back!!!

Shhhhhhhh, Foles sucks. Remember that! Sell sell sell!

Also - Bradford throws those passes so hard no one can catch them and then he makes that face like it was an easy catch.

Sam-Bradford.jpg

Good luck kid but I don't miss you.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow, he mailed it in. I've never seen him mail it in. If that's TA, he would have flown in and sprung Gurley.

Very unusual because Sted is a willing (and good) blocker. If you watch Austins highlights from college you will see Bailey throwing A LOT of blocks for him downfield.......

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

I didnt notice that, but I bet the coaches did.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

who could forget the 80 yard mason td last season where tavon got in the road of 2 defenders along the way.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

The Rams are back!!!
Couldn't agree more.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
who could forget the 80 yard mason td last season where tavon got in the road of 2 defenders along the way.

Yea, in fairness to Sted, he probably isn't used to having a guy that far downfield to block for!

F. Mulder

Starter
The whole Austin running behind Foles numerous times a game is a great design. Prior to Austin, when the Rams played somewhat mobile or deceptive QBs those teams would take advantage of the Rams overaggressiveness from the Defense and eat the Rams lunch with QB bootlegs/rollouts to wide open TEs or RBs going the other way. The same was during lack of gap control by the front 7 vs. cutback runners (but that is not the main point here-although discipline is). I remember that specifically during Spags' regime.

Now, Austin can at least create a brief hesitation by the D and the Rams can run numerous things off that move even if Austin is a decoy 50% of the time. We've lacked something or someone to keep the defenses honest for some time. I still have some criticisms of Austin and where he was picked but if Cigs can get with what most of us fans have been clamoring for (get Austin 7-10 touches a game no matter what) then he's an upgrade at OC in my book!

I'm still waiting for Austin to get one of those end arounds and go really deep in the Rams backfield with it and THROW it to someone like Foles or someone who snuck out the backside. Oh well, let's keep that play for the playoff game :LOL: