Take it or Leave it. (aka Penalty or Nah?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should this have been an unnecessary roughness call?

• GTFO

Votes: 91 89.2%
  • Obviously.

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That's why I said it was a penalty.

To me, there's no way Fournette escapes Quinn's grasp... had Quinn just held on for maybe 2 more seconds, the whistle blows and there's no penalty, period.

That's all it would have taken... two seconds more... and I don't think Fournette would have made any more forward progress in those two seconds.

Just my $.02

2 seconds is a long time in football.

Plus, I don't think you can really even call what he did a suplex. Not that you have called it a suplex, I think.

He didn't actually pick the guy up, he didn't get him any kind of inverted, and he didn't go over the top. If that was done in judo, no go grappling, Greco Roman wrestling, etc, that would be considered a crappy suplex if they called it one at all.

Quinn basically just fell backwards and sank, then turned Fournette to the side so he didn't get crushed. If he's done the same thing head on instead of from behind, it would look perfectly normal. The only thing about what happened that looks even remotely suplex-ey is that Fournette goes backward.

Now give me that overzealous different opinion that we all know is coming.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Quinn "holds him up" waiting for a whistle, and Fournette breaks free, he'd be tar and feathered.
Seen way too many tackles broken this season.
On a side note, I'm amazed at how close the poll results are

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

To me, there's no way Fournette escapes Quinn's grasp... had Quinn just held on for maybe 2 more seconds, the whistle blows and there's no penalty, period.

That's all it would have taken... two seconds more... and I don't think Fournette would have made any more forward progress in those two seconds.

Just my $.02

The whistle blew while Quinn had him and was starting to lift him up. One foot was already off the ground.

He didn't actually pick the guy up,

Um yeah he did.

If Quinn "holds him up" waiting for a whistle, and Fournette breaks free, he'd be tar and feathered.

See above..........the whistle blew because forward progress was stopped (Quinn and Fournette were actually going backwards) and this is where the unnecessary roughness part comes into play. The ref is standing right there, most of the time the flag is going to get tossed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whistle blew while Quinn had him and was starting to lift him up. One foot was already off the ground.

Um yeah he did.

See above..........the whistle blew because forward progress was stopped (Quinn and Fournette were actually going backwards) and this is where the unnecessary roughness part comes into play. The ref is standing right there, most of the time the flag is going to get tossed.
See above? I've seen the play.
Quinn had Fournette off the ground when the whistle blew. His momentum was already heading back. Quinn weighs 250+, Fournette 230+
He's just supposed to stop the momentum?
Silly
He wrapped him up and was taking him down and it was an "its about time" moment
Wasnt a slam, just followed the course of momentum

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree... that's why I said two more seconds... maybe it was closer to a half second... that's all it would have taken on Quinn to remove any doubt.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like this new segment.. :LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree... that's why I said two more seconds... maybe it was closer to a half second... that's all it would have taken on Quinn to remove any doubt.
Cruise ship cant make a hairpin turn... Not sure what Quinn could have done there to avoid the penalty other than not wrapping him up in the first place

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member

No flag here.

That was a slam. That was cruel intentions. I love AD, but I wasn't impressed with that play and took some heat for it in the vent thread. On that play, I feel AD tried to kill him.

We all know Robert Quinn was a high school state champ wrestler. If he wanted to slam Leonard Fournette he cold have. He chose to lateral him instead.

I feel this is a placed "on the ground" vs. placed "in the ground" debate.

I thought the Roughing rule was "thou shall not slam". Whistle doesn't matter.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Um yeah he did.

Well obviously when your about to fall *on* someone you have to be somewhat in the air. What I was getting at is that he wasn't standing behind him, lifted him, then fell back in a more typical suplex-ey fashion. Quinn grabbed him, fell back and sank, and by necessity of physics Fournette's feet left the ground even though his center of gravity was always headed down.

Being airborne doesn't mean someone was lifted, just that their feet could no longer touch the ground.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bang bang play, no foul!
train

I wish the refs would have let it go too because it was a pretty light violation of the rule. If Quinn had bad intentions he could have smashed LF head first into the turf and hurt him.

But that's how things are called and Quinn should know that, he knows you can't pick a player up and throw them down.

I think if he had kept him wrapped up all the way down the ref may not have tossed the flag, but he threw him, albeit not aggressively, and that's the rule.

Wasnt a slam, just followed the course of momentum

Not sure what Quinn could have done there to avoid the penalty other than not wrapping him up in the first place

I thought the Roughing rule was "thou shall not slam". Whistle doesn't matter.

Being airborne doesn't mean someone was lifted, just that their feet could no longer touch the ground.

Quinn picked him up and threw him down. That's why the flag was thrown. The act of picking him up and throwing him down is against the rules, plain and simple LOL. It's not a great rule, but it's there to protect players and that's why you rarely see it happen because guys know it's 15 yards and the coach is going to be pissed at you. And if you do it with bad intentions Roger may send you a bill you have to pay, you know how Roger is LOL.

I think Josh Norman got fined for doing it once.

He doesn't have to slam him down, flip him over, do a pirouette or the hokey pokey or anything else. And @Alaskan Ram you are correct the whistle isn't what matters, I'm sure this has been called before the whistle, during the whistle and after the whistle.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn picked him up and threw him down. That's why the flag was thrown. The act of picking him up and throwing him down is against the rules, plain and simple LOL. It's not a great rule, but it's there to protect players and that's why you rarely see it happen because guys know it's 15 yards and the coach is going to be ticked at you. And if you do it with bad intentions Roger may send you a bill you have to pay, you know how Roger is LOL.
If the whistle wasn't blown, it wouldn't have been a penalty.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

yea hold him so another ram with a running start can finish him off. safty first

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If the whistle wasn't blown, it wouldn't have been a penalty.

You may be right, the ref may have kept the flag in his pocket. I think it was the same ref though, meaning he blew the whistle and threw the flag.

So who knows.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Just my $.02

It's debatable. A few years ago a Raider, I think it was, supplexed Amendola or some other Ram. It was much more violent and right near a ref. No foul.

Ellard80

Legend
I've seen two different video clips that pretty much are case closed on this... I've seen that similar play so many times and never seen it called a penalty.

Maybe it should be a penalty... but never have I see it called before - which made that call bullshit.