Take it or Leave it. (aka Penalty or Nah?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should this have been an unnecessary roughness call?

• GTFO

Votes: 91 89.2%
  • Obviously.

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
New segment I'll be trying out weekly. Since, you know, there's always a call or play we have to discuss ad nauseum every week regardless of the outcome. So, here's the inaugural video. Quinn called for unnecessary roughness on Fournette against Jacksonville.

Penalty (take it) or Nah (leave it)?

Granted, I may have installed my bias into this particular video, but I'll try to stop that going forward.

Poll attached.

The NFL will force you to watch this on YouTube, but at least they're no longer deleting these.

View: https://youtu.be/j2ZLSduWrzA

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's absolutely not a penalty. No way is that tackle a penalty. I understand wanting to get suplexes and shit like that out of the game, but this was harmless in comparison.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He was already starting to throw him down when the whistle was blown. No flag in my opinion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some may not like my take, but I think it was a penalty.

Once in the grasp like Quinn had him (there was no forward progress), Quinn should have just let him go.

You see it all the time with the Rams defenders... they have the opponent stopped and they just let him go.

Now.. the whistle thing? Again, I put that on Quinn... he should have just kept holding him until the whistle came in.

He knows better and I'm sure Phillips will be pointing that out to him on film this week.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Screenshot_2.jpg

NFL Rules. Interpret it as you will.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
No penalty. If anyone has ever thrown someone down in a similar fashion, they would know that the energy used to produce such a movement has already peaked and momentum is what is continuing the process. Stopping the momentum puts the player doing the throwing in a worse position than the one being thrown. Especially when throwing 200+ lbs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Penalty, I was saying let go before he did it and was worried he may get called so I am going with my gut.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
My brother and I both called BS and looked at each other at the same time.
Total BS call.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Rbs can fight for extra yardage, so defenders shouldn't have to stop tackling as soon as forward progress "stops." Stupid penalty.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would throw the flag ONLY if that was a QB. It wasn't.
So in this case...Leave it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Rbs can fight for extra yardage, so defenders shouldn't have to stop tackling as soon as forward progress "stops." Stupid penalty.

Agreed and Fournette was running and battling for extra yards all game. As soon as he slammed Jim to the ground I knew it would be a penalty though

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Some may not like my take, but I think it was a penalty.

Once in the grasp like Quinn had him (there was no forward progress), Quinn should have just let him go.

You see it all the time with the Rams defenders... they have the opponent stopped and they just let him go.

Now.. the whistle thing? Again, I put that on Quinn... he should have just kept holding him until the whistle came in.

He knows better and I'm sure Phillips will be pointing that out to him on film this week.
You have to factor in that these guys are playing at game speed. Leonard Fournette is one tough SOB. He breaks tackles. If defensive players get 1-2 steps to the quarterback, how do you figure they DON'T get to follow through with an already started motion? (Good freeze frame, @x)

If anything, Quinn needs to be MORE encouraged to play tougher. This was quite evidently a BAD call. GTFO, indeed.

Should it have gone like this:

RQ: "I've got you Leonard! You're in my grasp, and I'll never let you go!"

robert-quinn-081616-usnews-getty-ftr_dy7ntvi2r54u1rpb20r93u7ly.jpg

LF: "Oh Rob, I give up. In this big old crazy world of the NFL, there is no player with a grip like yours. Just hold me....hold me, and together we will wait for the whistle."

Leonard-Fournette.jpg

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen a lot worse but you can't trust the zebras to get it right . I'm more upset with constantly lining up in the neutral zone.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
View attachment 22137

NFL Rules. Interpret it as you will.
Again, refs designated 'declaration device' is the whistle...:redcard:....<------- see there. The "declaration" was not made until the player had already begun his effort to bring the player to the ground. As there is not valid, or otherwise stated regulation holding players responsible to stop such an effort-in-motion, this is not even a debate. It was a bad call. It happens. The refs are human. Good thing it did not cost the Rams the game.