Take Down of Schotty's Offense and Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Interesting statistic. Would be a worthwhile study to go back and see how many are coverage sacks, how many are failures along the o-line and how many are on Sam. I have no clue how it would turn out. I may do this.

I agree would be interesting. Just make sure you set out the criteria for each before hand, I know I'd let my own bias sneak in otherwise.

iced

Interesting statistic. Would be a worthwhile study to go back and see how many are coverage sacks, how many are failures along the o-line and how many are on Sam. I have no clue how it would turn out. I may do this.

Dallas Game: (Jake Long didn't have the greatest game)

- sacks not on bradford, announcers think Pead failed to help J.Long and he was expecting help

- no one open, bradford tries to step up and sacked.

- shocker, Left Guard gets beat and fell down

- Dahl doesn't do well at picking up the stunt; can't tell if bradford was waiting for receiver to come out of his break or just wasn't open

- D.Ware beats Long, but so does the LG as well.

- RT (Barksdale) Whiffs completely and allows free runner at bradford

Niners game - going off of this highlight video at nfl.com

1st sack - 25 seconds, bradford has no shot. Before he even fakes the ball to the back, the RG is beat.
2nd sack - (1 minute) mark. I put this on the pass pro. Drich shows why he shouldn't be picking up blitzes here, as he severly lacks strength. Jake Long doesn't do that well either on this play, WTF is Cook doing? I'd put that sack on him as much as Drich. I don't think Bradford had enough time to set his feet and throw
3rd sack - Ball gets knocked loose, LG beat once again. One might argue that bradford could have thrown it, but in reality he saw nothing open at the right and as he was looking to the mid/left the ball got knocked loose. (last shot from behind the qb helps show this)

Doesn't show the other 2 sacks

iced

I'd need to watch all-22 film.
sure - but for some of those you don't need to see how quickly the protection broke down.

Keep in mind that with D.Rich we also had no running game to speak of - and that pretty much allows a defense to pin its ears back and go after the qb

Alan

Legend
blackbart still missing my point:
Not missing anything at all. Disagree with the "style" of the writer and the content used to try and prop up the lame premise. It adds nothing of value and thus my claim we really did not need it posted here.
You missed the fact that you both read this and felt strongly enough about it to comment. Anything that motivates you that much can hardly be described as a waste of time. IMO of course. I read lots of stuff that I don't like/agree with but it's all mentally engaging to me. Seems like it is for you too or you would have just moved on without comment. ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When someone starts an article saying this;

"Let's face it, I don't watch the Rams much unless they are facing the Seahawks or Niners, and neither do you if you live outside Missouri."

You really got to wonder if he can say anything credible about the team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

"Let's face it, I don't watch the Rams much unless they are facing the Seahawks or Niners, and neither do you if you live outside Missouri."

Exactly, as i pointed out and quoted in the "other" thread. This writer trashes the Rams. Period. Its garbage.
The draft just needs to get here so we can stop feeding attention to crap like this.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

And you've followed my posts for years CGI, so you know that i've been both supportive and critical of Sam. I cannot support crap like this making it into our board TWICE.
:jerkoff:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Nope. No canned responses to this one. Dude's gonna owe me tuition money when I'm done.

I don't know about the rest of the folks, but I'm REALLY looking forward to your responses on the subject.

FWIW, I was initially tempted to comment about this article which I happen to think was very well written, regardless of the responses and emotions it has provoked. For now, my only comment is; while reading the article I did hear the tinkle of bells and therefore, there must be a ring of truth surrounding the subject....with bias of course.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sam Bradford when sacked less than 5 times in a game last season:

64% completion, 12-3 TD-INT ratio, 101.4 passer rating (0.02 higher than the Super Bowl winning QB).

Bradford when sacked 5+ times in a game:

54% completion, 2-1 TD-INT ratio, 70.5 passer rating.

Stop getting sacked you bust.
Those stats seem pretty consistent with any QB that I have ever seen in my life. The only times we ever beat Montana, was when Greene was putting him on his back. Look how we beat some really good teams the last few years...by dominating them with our defense.

So, what does that tell you? You need a dominant defense, and a good OL to be a dominant team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know about the rest of the folks, but I'm REALLY looking forward to your responses on the subject.

FWIW, I was initially tempted to comment about this article which I happen to think was very well written, regardless of the responses and emotions it has provoked. For now, my only comment is; while reading the article I did hear the tinkle of bells and therefore, there must be a ring of truth surrounding the subject....with bias of course.
I'm working on it, but it may take a couple of days (minimum) given the workload I have at the moment. It would be nice if my sole means of employment was blogging about football, yeah? I'd image that piece (the OP) took a few days to put together with all the video watching, amateur stand-up comedy routine material, and research, so I intend to devote an equal measure of time (albeit only to the analysis). My main theme is going to be execution, however. It's my goal to illustrate, in detail, how the Rams don't draw up plays that don't work. In spite of that, they often don't though. And from what I'm seeing, it can be greatly attributed to player inexperience - and rightly so - given the youth of this football team the past couple of years.

Alan

Legend
-X- with a little bit of fantasy:
It would be nice if my sole means of employment was blogging about football, yeah?
Maybe for about 6 months and then I think you'd change your tune.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe for about 6 months and then I think you'd change your tune.
You could be right, but then again ... I'd actually be ALLOWED to make videos and host them when illustrating my points.

Alan

Legend
The mind is a terrible thing to waste and it lets you know it too.

Speeps

Starter
Of course this article was written. It's hate Sam Bradford Offseason. This guy just got the memo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(hoping the video stays up long enough to make this point)

Here's a quick glimpse into what I'm going for here. This is in response to the assertion that (per the author) IT WAS TORTURE to watch all of Sam's throws (which sets the bias tone for his entire article, but anyway...). We'll pick it up here in the third quarter of Week 6 against Houston. 2nd-and-12, Rams up by 11 at the Texans 41 with 9:02 left in the quarter. Here the Rams run play-action to try to give Bradford a clean pocket. The Texans rushed five, and the Rams had Stacy stay in and block. Simple enough, yeah?

The only problem with this plan is that Stacy hadn't perfected his pro-level blocking yet. As you watch, you'll see him fanning out to pick up Brooks Reed (58) on a chip before settling in the flat as the outlet receiver (or so it appears). BUT. He actually trips up Jake Long giving Reed a free path to Bradford. He's not done there though, because he also runs into the back of Chris Williams on his way to his "route." Bradford, relying on the protection drawn up (crazy, eh?) has Cook as his primary on this play and he throws anticipating Cook's break towards the sideline, releasing the ball before the cut happens. He gets it off, Reed bangs into Sam instantly, and the pass is an absolute strike that hits Cook right in the hands. Shiloh Keo had good coverage on this throw, but the end result was a 34-yard gain because the throw beat Keo to the outside.

This is an execution failure, but STILL was successful because Bradford (the guy who always folds under pressure) stood tall in the pocket.

Just wait until I show you a collaboration of the execution failures that took points off the board.

Last edited: