1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Take a sample Wonderlic test/Manziel aces it

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Prime Time, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Alan Well-Known Member

Almost? Which one did I get wrong?

2. jap Well-Known Member

My "bullcrap" point was taken from a story told to me and my class by my high school social studies instructor decades ago. A similar point was raised in a discussion with educational testers at the Educational Testing Service (ETS---you know, the psychometric testers who sponsor and supervise national testing/assessments such as the GRE, SAT, TOEFL, etc., designed to measure student learning) when I did an internship there decades ago. It was extremely interesting! to see these psychometry scholars react with embarrassed surprise when they realized how biased their testing had been towards children of upper/middle income brackets.

3. The Rammer ESPN Draft Guru

Yes sir! I guess Princeton or Yale would suffice but Harvard just sounds cool

RamFan503 likes this.
  4. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

There will never be a perfect test.

5. Stranger How big is infinity?

Also, what if I told you that there is a early-20th Century logical proof that shows 2 can equal 3, you'd call me crazy or some other choice words, most likely. Well, but there is. So, why put so much faith in mathematics when it's merely another imperfect human-made device? To this day, the proof has never been disproved, but it did send the science community railing in the early-to-mid 20th Century. Now, it's mostly ignored, replaced by forced mathematics driven by superfast computers.

So, is it so bad when an inner-city kid "can't" do basic maths? Actually, perhaps they see through the absoluteness of the scientific field and choose not to rely on such imperfect models. Maybe then, they are more "intelligent" than the rest of us who go through this "educational" system and believe all that we're told about maths.

6. Stranger How big is infinity?

So, why use them?

Or, why use them with such absoluteness?

7. LesBaker Mr. Savant

I don't need to do that. The fact is PLENTY of poor inner city kids go to college and score well on the test. The ones that don't didn't try as hard and didn't bother as much.

At first your premise was that the test was skewed against minorities and poor kids. What is it now?

8. LesBaker Mr. Savant

Personally I'd like my surgeons and other medical staff to be able to pass tests, also my accountant, mechanic, plumber, AC guy and all the rest.

That's why tests are used with such absoluteness.

9. kurtfaulk Well-Known Member

Sorry, Maths is perfect and absolute. I couldn't imagine going through life without being able to perform basic Maths tasks. Everyone should attempt to learn it.

10. Stranger How big is infinity?

Wrong. You failed the test.

Math is imperfect. The proof has existed for 90yrs.

11. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

So does this not bring into question either the bent of your social studies professor or the basis of proof or evidence he is using as teaching models?

12. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

Good question by itself. But you would need to know the results you are looking for and the test itself in order to determine if the results of the test are useful to you. Otherwise, why indeed.

13. jap Well-Known Member

It brings into question foolish notions you seem to harbor about IQ tests and their inherent "racism." The racism angle is your term---not mine or anyone else's. I employed an example illustrating differences of economic levels among people. Are all economically lower bracket people from one race only? Do you have evidence to prove that such examples are inherently racist?

14. bluecoconuts Well-Known Member

Nobody, you're just intelligent in different aspects. Assuming that you can recall and perform said tasks/information correctly. The problem is when people who aren't intelligent in certain areas assume they are.

LesBaker likes this.
  15. bluecoconuts Well-Known Member

Curious if you have the formula that has 2=3. Just wanna see if it's the same thing I've seen before.

16. Stranger How big is infinity?

It's called Incompleteness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems

Specifically, "The second incompleteness theorem, an extension of the first, shows that such a system cannot demonstrate its own consistency."

17. Stranger How big is infinity?

I don't. Actually, I'd prefer to find a doctor that "failed" institutionalized schooling's tests, because that at least points to the possibility that the doctor is actually thinking on their own. If they think on their own, they might actually be capable of finding solutions to human disorders rather than merely dispensing pharmaceutical symptom treating chemicals.

18. LesBaker Mr. Savant

No if a Doc failed all it means is that he or she wasn't able to complete tasks that are mandatory for helping people.

You're being a ridiculous crap stirrer at this point, as usual, and I'm out of this.......

19. bluecoconuts Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those theorems more about you not being able to prove certain things rather than being able to prove that 2=3 or something similar? I've seen equations that would "prove" that but they are fallacies that require incorrect math.

If they failed then they wouldn't be a doctor though..:confused:

20. kurtfaulk Well-Known Member

How is it imperfect? Give me one example of how Maths is imperfect. Just one.