Table Scraps ..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MauiRam

Rookie
I’ve always wondered how much communication occurs between coaches who are friends after the NFL draft has occurred. McVay and Shanny are friends, but also division rivals which probably limit their helping one another i.e. discussing cuts/trades behind the scenes. When it comes to other teams outside our division or in the AFC, I’m sure there is plenty of banter as regards who could be available prior to final cutdowns. Snead likely has his buddies too along with McVay.

Undoubtedly the Rams are doing their due diligence on O-linemen who may be available after final cutdowns. We appear to be rich at wr, and thin at rb., not to mention O-line. There will very likely be some new faces added prior to the first game of the regular season. Thoughts??

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think the only point to talking to each other is to look for trade opportunities which I think happens all the time. otherwise, there is no point to knowing earlier than the rest who is going to be cut. As for the rare trading a player you were going to cut - generally it’s a numbers game. We like more players than we have room for. So trading one player for another still means someone has to get cut. Now - if we could trade someone for a future pick, that is this forums dream/expectation every year. Surely we can get a 5th round pick for Nelson Spruce!

dang

Legend
In the spirit of building the perfect beast I’d feel a whole lot better if the Rams picked up a solid RB, EDGE and OC/OG from the waiver wire.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
And cut who? Is a better running back than someone like Funk going to be cut? A better edge than Obo? A better guard than Evans? Because aren’t we having to cut guys like that to grab someone off the wire?

dang

Legend
And cut who? Is a better running back than someone like Funk going to be cut? A better edge than Obo? A better guard than Evans? Because aren’t we having to cut guys like that to grab someone off the wire?
RB - it looks like we have 2 in Henderson and Jones. And we are holding our breath for Jones. Funk and Calais appear to be solid ST players only. And we have a 17 game season.

Edge - we need 4 good healthy players. I’ll say we have 3 in Floyd, Hollins snd OBO. And we are holding our breath for OBO. Perhaps Lewis stays healthy and perhaps Lawler can contribute but I’d say 50/50 proposition at best for either.

OC/OG - Unless Anchrum can play OG it looks like we have 1 decent OG/OC backup in Evans. And again something seems up with him.

I know we won’t find and sign 3 players from waiver wire but this is a hypothetical for building the perfect beast.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RB - it looks like we have 2 in Henderson and Jones. And we are holding our breath for Jones. Funk and Calais appear to be solid ST players only. And we have a 17 game season.

Edge - we need 4 good healthy players. I’ll say we have 3 in Floyd, Hollins snd OBO. And we are holding our breath for OBO. Perhaps Lewis stays healthy and perhaps Lawler can contribute but I’d say 50/50 proposition at best for either.

OC/OG - Unless Anchrum can play OG it looks like we have 1 decent OG/OC backup in Evans. And again something seems up with him.

I know we won’t find and sign 3 players from waiver wire but this is a hypothetical for building the perfect beast.
Of those positions, I only see us addressing RB. With Lawler showing up, we seem to be good at EDGE. And you're forgetting Noteboom as a backup OL. Right now, our likely OL is:
Whit
Edwards
Allen
Corbett
Hav
Noteboom
Evans
Anchrum
Brewer vs. Shelton vs. the others

Teams typically keep 9 OLs. So I don't see us going OL on waivers unless a Center we really like is cut. RB is the one position I could see us going out and addressing. The guys behind Henderson won't cut it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Of those positions, I only see us addressing RB. With Lawler showing up, we seem to be good at EDGE. And you're forgetting Noteboom as a backup OL. Right now, our likely OL is:
Whit
Edwards
Allen
Corbett
Hav
Noteboom
Evans
Anchrum

Teams typically keep 9 OLs. So I don't see us going OL on waivers unless a Center we really like is cut. RB is the one position I could see us going out and addressing. The guys behind Henderson won't cut it.

Agree, and I'd rather stretch keeping 9 offensive linemen to 10 than looking to waivers for another addition to the OL. Your list plus Alaric Jackson & Jordan Meredith is going to make this final countdown tough enough.
Concentrate on waivers, trades or vet cuts for a quality RB and we should be good to go. jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Agree, and I'd rather stretch keeping 9 offensive linemen to 10 than looking to waivers for another addition to the OL. Your list plus Alaric Jackson & Jordan Meredith is going to make this final countdown tough enough.
Concentrate on waivers, trades or vet cuts for a quality RB and we should be good to go. jmo.
Yeah, a lot of tough cuts, but remember the new practice squad rules are still in effect where you can bring a guy up for game day. So they may try to sneak a guy like Brewer on the PS and have the option to activate him if needed on game days.

Of course same can be said for other positions, but that rule seems to help most for a position like OL where you normally only activate 7-8 on game day so if you can get away with not carrying a 9th on the roster, its a big help to keep maybe a good young safety in Reed or an extra WR or an edge like Garrett or maybe even a DL like Jonah Williams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, a lot of tough cuts, but remember the new practice squad rules are still in effect where you can bring a guy up for game day. So they may try to sneak a guy like Brewer on the PS and have the option to activate him if needed on game days.

Of course same can be said for other positions, but that rule seems to help most for a position like OL where you normally only activate 7-8 on game day so if you can get away with not carrying a 9th on the roster, its a big help to keep maybe a good young safety in Reed or an extra WR or an edge like Garrett or maybe even a DL like Jonah Williams.

Of course, we have to worry about just getting them thru waivers and to the practice squad before sweating how we use them once there. We are fortunate as a deep team to have such problems, but it'll also be extra sad to lose potential future talent. The August 31'st cuts are bound to disappoint a number of us.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Next round of cuts is Tuesday, but only 5 players. The week after is the biggie.

The second cut comes following Week 2 of the preseason, when teams have until 4 p.m. ET. to cut five more players on Tuesday, Aug. 24, bringing the roster size to 80 players.

The third and final roster cut will follow Week 3 of the preseason. On Tuesday, Aug. 31, teams have until 4 p.m. ET to cut their roster down from 80 players to 53 players. Those that made the cut will be officially included on the 17-game regular season roster.

dang

Legend
Whit
Edwards
Allen
Corbett
Hav
Noteboom
Evans
Anchrum

I was only speaking of the OG/OC positions. Brewer probably. Anchrum could fill in. Then what?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Thing about that is, the success of our backs is tightly related to how well our OL can block. PFF gave Allen a 45.5 grade for run blocking 2019 so I def agree with you about a C if somebody pops up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Thing about that is, the success of our backs is tightly related to how well our OL can block. PFF gave Allen a 45.5 grade for run blocking 2019 so I def agree with you about a C if somebody pops up.
Didn't realize this was still 2019...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This year and next are probably going to turn over a lot of our OL depth. When you compare two depth chart options that don't have a ton of separation on the field the team control starts to factor in. Now if Jackson can show something at LT that positional designation will help him too, but I think we're due to see some of our depth flip starting this offseason.

Noteboom: UFA 2022
Anchrum: UFA 2024
Evans: UFA 2023
Brewer: UFA 2023
Shelton: UFA 2023
Jackson: UFA 2025
Meredith: UFA 2025
Kolone: UFA 2023
Pircher: UFA 2025

Now obviously Boom's gonna make the roster. Anchrum too and he comes with great team control. But as you get into the guys in the middle of that depth how much better are Brewer/Shelton/Evans than guys like Jackson/Meredith. I think that's what needs to be sorted here.

I'm guessing that Jackson makes it. He's shown a little something at LT which is valuable, and comes with great team control. Meredith is more of a longshot but if he can keep up what he showed last game he might push for a roster spot.

Last but not least Pircher can move for a big boy too. So for me a game like tonight's is gonna be fun because it should help clear all that up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This year and next are probably going to turn over a lot of our OL depth. When you compare two depth chart options that don't have a ton of separation on the field the team control starts to factor in. Now if Jackson can show something at LT that positional designation will help him too, but I think we're due to see some of our depth flip starting this offseason.

Noteboom: UFA 2022
Anchrum: UFA 2024
Evans: UFA 2023
Brewer: UFA 2023
Shelton: UFA 2023
Jackson: UFA 2025
Meredith: UFA 2025
Kolone: UFA 2023
Pircher: UFA 2025

Now obviously Boom's gonna make the roster. Anchrum too and he comes with great team control. But as you get into the guys in the middle of that depth how much better are Brewer/Shelton/Evans than guys like Jackson/Meredith. I think that's what needs to be sorted here.

I'm guessing that Jackson makes it. He's shown a little something at LT which is valuable, and comes with great team control. Meredith is more of a longshot but if he can keep up what he showed last game he might push for a roster spot.

Last but not least Pircher can move for a big boy too. So for me a game like tonight's is gonna be fun because it should help clear all that up.

Or solid competition among the entire group makes the decision making process even murkier.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Or solid competition among the entire group makes the decision making process even murkier.
Very possible. But if that were to happen then I would think team control factors in a bit more. Either way I figure over this offseason and next we'll have a lot of turnover.

What will really be interesting is what do they do if Evans continues to struggle. He's protected a bit by that draft status but also entering that range where that may change. This game is gonna be fun, hope they all show better of course but we'll see.

oldnotdead

Legend
PFF??!! :eyeroll:
They gave Rob like an 80% grade for his ole blocks and 9 sacks in 2 years. They rated Blythe at over 60%. These guys don't know what they are looking at. Remember that matrix they use was created for Soccer not NFL football.

2021 OL FA
Corbett UFA
Noteboom UFA
Shelton RFA
Allen UFA
Kolone ERFA
Brewer ERFA

They probably lose Shelton, but the key is to sign the Corbett, Noteboom and Allen. Extending these 3 now will be cheaper than waiting until next year. Then the Rams will know if they can afford Darious. If not Williams should give them a very nice comp pick. I can see a couple of more comp picks on the list as well.

People denigrate this OL but they gave as good as they got when they played Tampa last year. Both teams were pretty evenly matched on both sides of the ball. It's why I'm really looking forward to the rematch this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was only speaking of the OG/OC positions. Brewer probably. Anchrum could fill in. Then what?
Noteboom, Evans, Brewer, and Anchrum can all play OG. C would be Allen, Corbett, and maybe one other guy (assuming we don't keep Shelton).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Shelton probably still our #3 Center with Allen/Corbett at 1 & 2, although if he's ready, I'd love to see Meredith split time with Shelton rather than waste more snaps on Kolone. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Still much to be determined from my view. Carberry does have a good overall Ol cadre but it is much more talented on the exterior than the interior @ this moment.

Yes, many of the Rams primarily OL'ers who are more OT in abilities can play the two interior OG posts but there seems to be evidence that there is a sizeable drop-off in performance. But yes the Rams are insulated in case of injuries to the OG's.

When you add in the 3 UFA's Corbett/Allen/Noteboom & the retirement of LT Whitworth now the real issue comes into better focus on just who they go about trying to be in the best possible position next season yet maintaining the solid overall OL integrity of this upcoming season. This is going to be a really delicate situation. Leaving room for some big mistakes.

Certainly having to sign a new high-end contract for a starting OG like Corbett for over $9 million a year is a serious lift when you throw in that Noteboom will be offered a new contract for that serious LT starting post. Corbett could be an easy sacrifice if Anchrum, Evans, Brewer, or even a Meredith could vastly step up @ OG......and all of that is yet to clear up it's just very murky @ best.

Not to forget about the center issues with both Brian Allen & Coleman Shelton involved in 2022 free agency too.